Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia coach Kirby Smart shares 'outside the box' thinking on COVID-19 policy

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited July 2020 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia coach Kirby Smart shares 'outside the box' thinking on COVID-19 policy

Georgia football coach Kirby Smart was ahead of the pack when it came to educating his players on the importance of using masks in Athens

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited July 2020

Most people have or will get this virus and have absolutely no symptoms. Studies have shown it kills one in one thousand people. Based upon those statistics and the reported number of deaths in the US, approximately half of our population has already been exposed. The recent spike in cases has more to do with the fact that more people who are asymptomatic are now getting tested than the number of exposures increasing. The truth shall set you free, again!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All Coach Smart can do is follow the rules judiciously. Testing and contact tracing will be the rule of the days ahead. I am still wondering what about mano-a-mano contact....full contact...game contact...off-hours contact? This will be tough to monitor and contain. There are bound to be some positive testings. This is a very different season....one we will never forget and I hope never repeat.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Rare that it kills anyone in this age group unless there was already some serious stuff going on. Have friends that are a Nurse P.A. and a paramedic. Both tested positive and neither new they had it.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020

All good points. And we haven't even begun to see the true effects of the virus on college campuses...wait another couple of months. We're playing Russian Roulette with student-athletes who may really want to play & think they are indestructible, but honestly they don't even have a seat at the bargaining table. One Penn State student-athlete has died of COVID. None of the football coaching staff and assistants - many who are well into their 30s, 40s, 50s, and beyond are the ones who should be really concerned. They aren't even on campus yet. But, last I checked, they DO get paid a handsome sum of cashola for showing up.

“So how is that going to work out when we get on the practice field?” Good question.

What about travel for away games? Hotels?

Hey, I'm a rabid college football fan who wants college football to go on as much as anyone else. BUT, the reality AND morality of the situation is talking to me now. SO talk to me in mid-late August if the season hasn't already been cancelled, postponed, or altered in some way or another. Maybe we are taking the risk and everything works out ok....but, the biggest question is SHOULD we?

• Options
    EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

There wont be a season. We can hope and 🙏 but it ain't happening and we blame the leadership of this country for it. He waited and joked about a virus with no vaccines to fight it. All yall who keeps saying the young ones dont get affected are wrong. The our dumb gov Kemp one upped Agent Orange and closed too late and opened bk up too soon. Then lied about the numbers and got caught doing it. So blame them bc they are responsible for this. America is the only country of the big guys who dont have a handle on this virus.and i truly believe UGA has the best team this yr