Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart gets chance to show what he learned from the Jake Fromm-Justin Fields quarterback compet

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited July 2020 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart gets chance to show what he learned from the Jake Fromm-Justin Fields quarterback competition

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. With JT Daniels eligible, Kirby Smart faces another tough quarterback decision It's now safe to say that Justin

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Everyone knows(knew) Justin Fields was the better athlete by all the measurable(tangibles) such as running ability, and arm strength. What CKS didn't see or didn't want to see(perhaps ) was a QB controversy. Jake had just stretched BAMA to overtime in the Championship. So, does CKS a few months later pull the plug on Jake and insert a new QB who doesn't know the system as well as Jake, who isn't the coach at the line of scrimmage that Jake is, and is an unknown commodity to some degree?

Tough call. I guess we can all look back in time and say, "I' would have gone with the unkown after having just been to the NC game. You can say it, doesn't mean I believe it.

• Options
    traildawg51traildawg51 Posts: 46 ✭✭✭ Junior

reddawg, I tend to agree with you. What I would have liked to see is Fields given increasing opportunities during the year to demonstrate his skill set in a meaningful way. I don't think he was ever given the opportunity to show what he could really do in a real game situation. That is just my opinion. I love having Coach Smart and I would not swap him as our head coach with anybody. I just wish Fields had been given meaningful game time with plays that fit his considerable skill set. Maybe that was an Offensive Coordinator issue more than a head coach. I just don't know, but I would have loved to see Fields as our QB1 last year and this year.

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

A whole lot of woulda, coulda , shoulda, in hindsight Connor Riley. Would you please explain how you, the best Armchair HC ever would have handled this. How do you replace the QB with another, who not only helped the Dawgs win the most exciting Rose Bowl Game in history in a classic comeback, and without a complete defensive breakdown on a 2-26 pass for a TD by Tua, might have also won the National Title Game? Fields had the better STATS this past season, but he also had the better players to surround himself, with on offense. Whether by coaching or lack of effort, or talent the Dawgs just didn't seem very hungry last season on offense. Case in point the South Carolina game., and the Monsoon game against Kentucky. One was a loss to a less talented team, and the other was also on the brink all game long of being another loss.

• Options
    JoeFannJoeFann Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

In hindsight, maybe the biggest "mistake" was that Kirby never had a defined plan to develop Fields on the field. He never got enough extended game snaps to get in a rhythm and feel like the game was his. The second biggest was in recognizing too slowly that the offense was not diverse enough to exploit all of the playmakers. More and more, 2017 is looking like a true opportunity lost. Maybe Smart thought that coming off that NCG loss the 2018 team would respond. But the offense was never retooled to best utilize the talent. 2019 finally confirmed it. Depending on practice reps and how both look, let's hope there is a plan this year, that it's clear to both QBs and that it's adhered to. In fact, let's hope there is a "this year" while we're at it. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I dunno. At least "on the field", Smart definitely gave Fields a chance. He played in 12 games as a true freshman. Fields was the one who turned everything into a mess. I think Fields realized that he made a mistake and chose incorrectly and he did.

The more accurate comparison would be Eason who gave us a shot and we gave him a shot and we, as UGA fans, wish him the best legimitately. Should we have kept him on? Eh. I mean, he did a bit better at Washington, but then again they aren't SEC. He got drafted in the 4th round, so... yeah.

Only time will tell how this is going to work out with all of these guys. I wish we had been able to play the G Day game and seen some plays.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

With Coley as OC, I don’t think you can claim Fields would have been better and put up those numbers. This is an apple to orange comparison.

• Options
    BassDawgBassDawg Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think the big issue for Kirby is he has the number one defense and if he is going to win a natty now is the time. He needs to figure out which one will do that now and then build future with the other.

• Options
    EvilSamPittmanEvilSamPittman Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

it was obvious early on in those practices that Justin Fields was much better than Jake Fromm. Kirby just didn't have the courage to tell the good ol' boys boosters to stick it and play the best QB. It's a shame - UGA defense last year w/ Fields as an all-out weapon on offense could have won the Natty. Fields is better than Newman, Daniels, Beck and Vandagriff. Watched this kid dominate for two years before he set foot on college campus. Fields is special.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That leaves out Newman to build a future on, he only has 1 year of eligibility left, JT Daniels has 3, plus Carson Beck, Stetson Bennett, and another incoming 5* QB in Brock Vandagriff will create even more competition among the QB's..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    LowcountryLowcountry Posts: 104 ✭✭✭ Junior

What Kirby should have done was give John Rhys Plumlee a full scholarship. Did y'all see what he did to LSU last year?

As for the current QB candidates at UGA, I think that if anyone other than Newman is named the starter there will be accusations of racism from parts of the fanbase. I don't think that's something that this program needs hanging over its head. I'm hoping to see this offense led by a QB who has the ability to tuck and run.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

I heard stetson was actually playing better than Fields in spring ball

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ah, the race card gets played. If they even play, I personally can't see CKS playing the 2nd best QB because he is white . For anyone else to even insinuate he would is ludicrous. Especially since they recruited Newman and that 80 percent of the team is black. Laughable.

• Options
    RealityBasedDawgFanRealityBasedDawgFan Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

I just wonder does Jamie Newman stick around for another year in the event there is no season, which is looking more and more like the outcome unfortunately.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jake Fromm was the better choice as a starter and I totally disagree with the first sentence of this article. Numerous “sources” have told me (I got that quote from The NY Times 😉) that Fields had a real attitude problem.....unlike Fromm. Yes indeed, Fields had a much better year, but how would he have performed at UGa with 5 starters (WRs) graduating, another kicked off the team, multiple injuries, etc, etc, etc. I sincerely believe Fields would have done no better than Fromm this year. Yes, he may have beaten SC, but he likely would have lost to Florida and definitely to LSU.....but then he wouldn’t have played LSU due to the Florida loss. I’m not sure how he would have performed against Baylor. I also believe that Fromm would have won the NC at Ohio State and not choke on the last play like Fields did. People seem to forget that Field’s last play at UGa was a totally botched fake punt that would have worked if he hadn’t panicked (ie choked)....and his last play at Ohio State last year in the playoffs was an interception. That’s 2 NC opportunities lost thanks to Fields incompetence under pressure. I’m not saying Fields isn’t more talented, but I am saying he wouldn’t have done better than Fromm under similar circumstances. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    EvilSamPittmanEvilSamPittman Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    maconexpressmaconexpress Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior

You might be right. Our veteran receivers didn't improve that much from a year ago but look how much Chris Olave improve from a year ago with Justin Fields as his qb and their freshman receiver Garrett Wilson had as many Tds as our veterans and I didn't know that the buckeyes ran the ball more than us with less passing attempts. Those 10 rushing Tds by Justin would have been huge for us!

UGA

2018 Tyler Simmons        Jr  Rec  9 Yds 138 Td 2

2019 Tyler Simmons       Sr Rec 21  Yds 255 Td 1

2019 Matt Landers       So Rec 10 Yds 105 Td 1

2019 Demetris Robertson   Jr  Rec 30  Yds 333 Td 3

Buckeyes

2018 Chris Olave          Fr Rec 12 Yds 197 Td 3

2019 Chris Olave          So Rec 48 Yds 840 Td 12

2019 Garrett Wilson       Fr Rec 30   Yds 432 Td 5

• Options
    maconexpressmaconexpress Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior

One more thing, the buckeyes rank 108th sacks allowed and uga rank 8th sacks allowed. Go Figure!