Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Dawgs fans wonder: What if we end up facing a fall without football?

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited July 2020 in Article commenting
imageDawgs fans wonder: What if we end up facing a fall without football?

Among the various scenarios for a pandemic-challenged college gridiron season is the one we dread the most

Read the full story here

Comments

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great article Bill and it conjures up so many thoughts and possibilities. Some folks have discussed a schedule with a few additional SEC games, but there is a possibility (assuming a very shortened season) of only playing teams in our division with the winners of the East and West playing in the CG without playing any cross conference games. Of course, that’s an extreme possibility and would only give us 5-6 games. If the season is cancelled, what happens with scholarships? Would the NCAA permit another year of eligibility to every player? If yes, would they increase the total number of scholarships permitted from 85 to 100 or more? If that occurs, I’m certain we wouldn’t see Lawrence or Fields play again, but would Newman, Ehlinger, Trask and others play another season to enhance their standing in the draft? Wow, so many possibilities and so little time. Go Dawgs!!!

• BillKingBillKing Posts: 61 ✭✭ Sophomore

You raise a good point about whether a partial season would use up a year of players' eligibility. My guess is that if they played, say, 8 games, the answer would be yes. If they only played 6, perhaps the NCAA would step in to grant another year of eligibility to everyone. At least, I'd hope they would.

• RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 174 ✭✭✭ Junior

"(I imagine most would choose to let the Hartman Fund keep their money, rather than lose a season’s worth of priority points.)"

Uh, no. If they scrub the season I will want my money back especially if I lose my job. That money can put food on the table for a few months. Priority points are worthless when measured against McGill Society contributors despite being a 20+ year contributor. Maybe you can do an article on that dynamic.

• EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

They may start in the fall but this season may end in the spring. It's a shame we're the only country that wont just wear the **** mask in public. Its simple. Just wear it around others for a few months and it'll be fine. I life loss bc of it is one too many

• RealityBasedDawgFanRealityBasedDawgFan Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

It is already over....just can't see the writing on the walls. People fighting clerks at Wal Mart to not wear a mask should not be allowed to complain about no football season.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All valid points Bill, and many of the same things that I have been saying for weeks. The risk really isn't worth the reward honestly. There are too many variables that no one can control, and it's pretty easy to see multiple scenarios where a team's season unravels.

And will or can this season be anything deemed as valid? Can there really even be a true Championship or Champion when you're playing less games and getting rid of high profile games that could have had an impact on results?

Let's be honest: this is all about revenue...nothing more...when player safety, common sense, and logic should be the priority.

• DocckDocck Posts: 31 ✭✭ Sophomore

So the whole world is running a scam to bring down our economy pre-election. Pretty impressive.