Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

WATCH: How the Dominick Blaylock injury impacts Georgia football in 2020

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited August 2020 in Article commenting
imageWATCH: How the Dominick Blaylock injury impacts Georgia football in 2020

The Georgia football team suffered a significant loss on Thursday when it was learned that Dominick Blaylock tore his left ACL. It was the same injury he suffered in the 2019 SEC Championship game defeat to LSU. The school released a statement confirming the news that Blaylock would now miss the entire 2020 season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• WalteregoWalterego Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

While not only UGA, UGA has at least a recent bad track record of athletes reinjuring ACL repairs or suffering contralateral ACL tears following ACL repairs (contralateral knee injuries are most common). Would the AJC be willing to consider an article involving the statistical risk of early return without having met scientifically-established criteria since it is a system built on the backs of young men and there is little if any accountability amongst the professionals and staff who consistently appear to not follow guidelines?

It's a systemic problem. No one person in the chain of medical professionals wants to be the one who slow walks a person back on the field despite scientific evidence supporting it. The pressures are so great in major college sports, even good healthcare and training professionals get steam-rolled to approve these young men to play. Some, though, don't even stay up to date. Unlike with the NFL and concussion protocols, there is no truly outside-the-institution (the surgeons are part of the pipeline), professional that reviews the evidence and their return to sport criteria.

Here are just 2 articles who touch on Zamir's (contralateral injuries after ACL repair are a known, prevalent risk) and Dominic's injuries.

https://www.jospt.org/doi/full/10.2519/jospt.2020.9071

and

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5226931/

"However, the current approach of early, accelerated rehabilitation programs and the expected timeline to recover in 6 to 12 months is deleterious because the athlete is not completely recovered which predisposes them to an increased risk for a second ACL injury. The young, active athlete who attempts to resume sports participation at the same competitive level has a nearly 1 in 3 chance of going on to a second ACL injury within the first or second year post-ACLR. Therefore, the evidence advocates that these athletes delay a return to sports for two-years to mitigate the unacceptably high risk for a second ACL injury, especially in those under 20 years of age."

While I won't include the whole article, "The Delaware-Oslo ACL cohort study has utilized an RTS test" that would also seem a bare-minimum although I can't speak to whether this newer criteria are being met

The above doesn't even address the high risk of contralateral knee injury (Zamir White) with too early (RTS should not occur before the 10th month without ) return to sport from ACL repair. Both Zamir and Dominick should have been held out for the first half of the following season based upon known time-frame alone after their tears/sxs. Frankly, if not held out the full season (second article) instead of the rush job to beat training camp.

I guarantee you these young men are NEVER fully informed of these risks or offered to stay out (without consequence) consistent with the guidelines. I'm a PT. I know what these kids get told and don't get told and I know the pressures that result in the many non-evidenced based dire decisions getting made for these young men. Just consider it. Yes, it's a business, but these kids don't have a voice, a say, or an advocate. Dawgnation seems more like a public relations arm for the Dawgs and I thoroughly enjoy the CF news even knowing that, but if there is any will or interest for Dawgnation to be a caring, investigative voice for these young men, there is an awful lot being done wrong by and to them that doesn't take too much insight or research to uncover.

• WalteregoWalterego Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4912389/

For every one month delay in return to sport, the reinjury rate was reduced by 51 % (Table 3). In patients who returned between 9 and 23 months after surgery, time to return was not significantly associated with knee reinjury. Patients who participated in level I sports earlier than nine months after surgery sustained 39.5 % reinjuries (15 of 38), compared to 19.4 % knee reinjuries (7 of 36) in those who returned to level I sports later than nine months after surgery.