Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart supports player transfers, but rules are rules regarding Cade Mays, Otis Reese

SystemSystem Posts: 10,473 admin
edited September 2020 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart supports player transfers, but rules are rules regarding Cade Mays, Otis Reese

Kirby Smart has been criticized by some after on account of two former Georgia players who have not yet been granted immediate eligibility

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's pretty simple, if you're not a graduate and you decide to transfer within the SEC be prepared to take a seat for one season.

Even if your Father got greedy, and tried to scam your team for $3 Million and therefore creating a less than ideal atmosphere.

And, even if you couldn't win the starting job, and wanted to go to a team where you may have a better chance at starting.

Rules, we all have to deal with them.

• Options
    randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pruitt is just trying to leverage this situation for recruiting. Let's see what he does with players if UT ever gets relevant again. When he starts losing guys he needs to win--let's talk then.

I'm concerned what college free agency would do to the sport. A lot of fans may become disillusioned when their team finally has a shot for a championship and key players are allowed to transfer to opponents at will.

• Options
    JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

Pruitt and Kiffin need to remember the old adage "those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks". There's a Florida player whose dad is currently claiming his son was treated "like a piece of meat", and "medical malpractice". Compare that to D'wan Mathis and his dad's take on UGA handling that situation. My guess is Dan Mullen can find a lot of players who love him and will testify to it, and Kirby can do the same. In a large org, there will be some malcontents, and even some truth to their complaints. Take a look in mirror, do your best, and move on.

• Options
    vannvann Posts: 108 ✭✭✭ Junior

Rules are rules.

• Options
    bull68dawgbull68dawg Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Love to hear other coaches around the conference weigh in. It’s easy for both Kiffin and Pruitt to make those comments because it benefits them in this situation. Not so sure every coach would be ok with the idea of an open free agency amongst the SEC

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’m sure if Henry To’oto’o wanted to transfer and play immediately at Georgia, Vol Nation would be all for it, right?

• Options
    WayxATLdawg89WayxATLdawg89 Posts: 87 ✭✭ Sophomore

If the NCAA is calling this year a freebie to eligibility this year, why not do the same for transfers? Any school that wants to receive a transfer from within the conference and asks for that player to eligible immediately should have to pay the previous school for at least one years worth of scholarship the transferring player received. Otherwise, that player must sit out one year, then gain eligibility....

Go DAWGS!!!!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like this suggestion @WayxATLdawg89. It makes a lot of sense, meaning that it won't be considered. But it's a good idea.

• Options
    JoeFannJoeFann Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

On a semi-related note, kudos to Brenton Cox for not playing the victim card in trying to get eligible in Gainesville. He transferred for competitive reasons, like Otis Reese, and both he and Mullet accepted that a year not competing was the cost. Not much whining (considering the sources,) and he's good to go this year. Transfer rules, especially intra-conference transfers, should be WELL explained at athletic orientation. Still, I'll be very surprised if Sankey doesn't ultimately cave, under the auspices of COVID-19 "year doesn't count against eligibility." I, too, support an athlete's ability to transfer, mostly at will. But I think there are competitive issues with intra-conference transfers. It's important that the "losing" school have NO say in any waiver. Anyone saying UGA doesn't support either Mays' or Reese's transfers doesn't understand that UGA has no role in their waiver processes whatsoever, either positive or negative, just as they had no role in Brenton Cox's. People want to scream "Maurice Smith!" but that was a graduate transfer exception that was codified in 2018. Are either of these two cases something that might cause such a change in the rules? Frankly, my dear.....Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm not sure what any rule has to do with a man being discriminated against......My mind doesn't work that way

• Options
    WildmanSlayerWildmanSlayer Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

If both Cade Mays and Otis Reese were eligible for intercollegiate competition we wouldn't be hearing about UGA being toxic, or that it maintains an unsafe, unsupportive, or racially insensitive environment, this is about getting early playing time, So Otis played for UGA in 2018, and 2019, but got past over by better players, so now UGA is a bad place, so you stayed for two year before you figured this out? This is about one thing, and one thing only, PLAYING TIME!!!!

• Options
    rtparkerivrtparkeriv Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

Reese and Mays took two scholarships that could have been given to someone else. Georgia (donors) funded tuition, living expenses, training and coaching for two years to prepare these guys to the level they are today. Now they want to go play for rivals without sitting out. There is a rule in place for good and fair reasons and that rule should be followed.