Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

National media questions picking Florida over Georgia to win SEC East

SystemSystem Posts: 10,439 admin
edited September 2020 in Article commenting
imageNational media questions picking Florida over Georgia to win SEC East

Most have Georgia as one of the top teams in the country as SEC play officially gets underway on Saturday. The Bulldogs are ranked No. 4 in the AP Poll and No. 3 in the Coaches Poll. They're once again seen as a possible playoff team. But now it seems the Bulldogs aren't even the favorites in their own division. The

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"It ain't over 'til it's over." UGA will win the East and SECC.

ESPN predictor has UCF and Wisconsin ranked over UGA as best possible teams to reach CFP???? Come on.

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I understand the disparity between recruiting recently, but as Kirby has always said, let the helmets do the talking.

the biggest reason for this is........heaven forbid it should happen..... but if Florida did win they would be so punch drunk over Mullen winning with lesser ranked players they would have to declare a state holiday.

go dawgs!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

ESPN begs to differ in terms of FPI. Georgia has higher odds to win the Conference (22.1% vs 13.1%). Statistically, it comes down to Georgia v Florida (Georgia at nearly 60%), Georgia v Alabama (Georgia a longshot at 27%) and Florida v LSU (Almost 50/50).

If I were to make an argument FOR Florida, it'd be the fact that LSU is considered a far easier team than Bama. If the LSU and Bama games were switched, I'd say that Florida would be a pretty longshot.

Interesting also that Georgia has better odds to beat #8 Auburn compared to Florida does to beat #10 Texas A&M.

Should be an interesting year.

• Options
    JoeFannJoeFann Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

A few thoughts. First, -28 is a pretty stout line vs. Arkansas. Dawgs have traditionally started slowly. While I think that's about to change, I think that fears of Covid-19 will cause Kirby to sub a LOT if UGA jumps out, mainly because unlike other years, the virus could strike at any time and you may be playing a lot more third-teamers than ever before. That might make it hard to cover 28, especially if Ark's 1s are playing against UGA's 3s. That rowdy defense will then take a hit to their stats.

Second, I'd be worried if I were Mullen or Orgeron. Opening against Lame Kittin and Mike Leach, respectively, will definitely NOT be a walk in the park, particularly against their offenses. I picked both the Missies to cover. Go Dawgs! Can't. Hardly. Wait.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

First let me say that I think the Dawgs can and will win the East. However, it won't be easy this season.

The reason FLA?

The Dawgs have a tougher schedule, a new OC, a new QB, and a rebuilt OL...honestly, I think if the Dawgs can win the SEC East it will be against the realistic odds considering how good Florida SHOULD be....this season.

Recruiting? Well, we've done great but there's a LOT more than recruiting that goes into making a Championship caliber team.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    vannvann Posts: 108 ✭✭✭ Junior

These preseason polls and predictions don't mean a thing! I don't recall a single so called "smart" guy pick LSU to do much of anything last year. That's why we play the games. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 369 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Is that a misprint? UCF has a better chance at the playoffs than UGA? I can't wait for the SEC Shorts when they win their second National Championship.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Zero percent chance Florida beats both UGA and Bama this year. I hope our team uses this and every other snub as motivation to excel in 2020.

One thing is certain, the game in Gainesville is critically important this year for both Florida and UGA but I believe a win for Florida will have a much greater impact on their recruiting. We have to win that game for more reasons than one!

• Options
    SoCalDawgSoCalDawg Posts: 15 ✭ Freshman

Polls mean nothing. We need to prove ourselves on the field each week. The W-L line will show who's who.

Go DAWGS

• Options
    natejawsnatejaws Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior

Am I the only one who looks at how bad our offense was last year and not in the least worried about it this year? We had superior players last year and were routinely out-coached on offense. Now most of those coaches are gone. I fail to see the sky falling personally, but I guess it gets clicks from the media

• Options
    LowcountryLowcountry Posts: 104 ✭✭✭ Junior

What's Dan's career head-coaching record vs. ranked teams? How many times has a Dan Mullen-coached team won its division? Yeah. Dan is not beating Kirby this year. I hope that this kind of pro-Florida nonsense is pasted all over the UGA locker room and weight room. I hope that someone reminds our players of this BS daily. I hope our team goes to Jacksonville with a HUGE chip on their shoulders.