Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Fan Feedback: DawgNation says the jury is still out for QB1

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited September 2020 in Article commenting
imageFan Feedback: DawgNation says the jury is still out for QB1

It was mostly a tale of two different halves for the Georgia Bulldogs against Arkansas on Saturday. In the first half, the Georgia offense struggled, only mustering a field goal before halftime. But in the final 30 minutes, the Bulldogs exploded for 32 points to cruise to a 37-10 victory. The difference of play in

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Does the team have a problem evaluating qb’s? Eason over Fromm. Fromm over Fields. Mathis over Bennett, Beck and (perhaps) Daniels?

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is Bennett the diamond in the rough? He seemed to know what to do against Ark. Mathis is what he is a first timer coming off a serious brain surgery. He got hit solidly once and it seemd to jar his confidence and/or ability to perform under pressure. Some say Bennett is too predictable...well, coming back like that even after being down to a cellar team....maybe not that predictable. I would really like clarity on JT Daniels. Have to see him under pressure against Auburn....that should speak volumes. D'Wan needs to get comfortable playing in the SEC. He has a great arm..better than Stetson's. He lacks confidence. He has exceptional speed for a QB. Carson Beck? He'll likely have to wait out the season...then in comes Brock Vandagriff. Going to get even more interesting. Bring on Auburn.

GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I saw no poise nor fight in Mathis...just the opposite with Bennett. Mathis' lack of poise and bailing at the first hint of pressure made the offensive line look terrible. Bennett's poise and willingness to step up in the pocket and deliver the ball made the OL look respectable. Mathis casually stepping out-of-bounds on third down a yard short of an important first down rather than using his 6'4" frame to move the chains is not a SEC mentality. Bennett using every inch of his 5'11" frame to fight for the two point conversion is what the heart of an SEC player is all about. If JT is not ready next week, Kirby has an easy decision to make!

• Options
    VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 351 ✭✭✭ Junior

not sure about all the Mathis looked great in practice talk. But the offense was awful when he was in.

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If Daniels isn't cleared for next week I **** sure wouldn't start Mathis again, especially against a much better defense in Auburn. I haven't read too much about how Beck has done in scrimmages, except that he always played with the "2's" and never the "1's". But I have heard he is very heady, like Fromm. I think I would give him a shot.

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Tarkenton, Jurgensen, Brees, Wilson, Flutie..... All from 5'10" to 6'0" Running an offense is not about rearing back and throwing it as far as possible. SBIV is a very smart young man (30 on his ACT and Ivy offers out of HS), makes quick decisions, knows his progressions, and puts the ball spot on where receivers can catch and run. If you recall, he gave GA D fits running the scout team in prep for Oklahoma, playing Baker Mayfield. It's incredible how the "height" mindset continues to trump football intelligence, instincts, and straight-up talent. And the kid can run. It will be a shame if about 2 quarters of football in Arkansas is the extent of his college playing career.

• Options
    DaddyMackDaddyMack Posts: 12 ✭ Freshman

While we all love to see a QB with a big arm completing 20+yrd explosive passes - it's not top priority or a big necessity we need to win. What we need is a calm, composed, decisive and accurate short to mid-range passer who can consistently find ways to get the ball to our most skilled/talented guys to where we are persistently moving the ball and converting to 1st downs without trying to force plays or throwing into potentially dangerous situations. Stetson did exactly that for the most part - besides that 1 pass that was 4 or 5yrds short that thankfully the DB didnt realize quick enough! As he started making completions the run game opened up a bit and we need that because if teams are able to load the box without fear against our run like last season were gonna be in trouble cause weve lost production on the Oline and at RB in general. 1 thing that I have never understood is why we 100% of the time run it up the middle? I understand a straight line is the shortest path but not if that's what they expect and want you to do! Especially with these less experienced smaller lineman who are struggling to make their right assignments much less create gaps. RBs like Cook would have better luck attacking the perimeters where he can use his agility. We should do it just to mix it up cause if were having trouble with passing as it stands now - were gonna be in serious trouble. Overall I liked what Monken is trying to do and with time I think we'll have an offense that's as or almost as effective as our defense but for now we have to find ways to not be so easily predictable. I'd also like to see Carson Beck run the offense for at least a couple of series. He processes all the traits you want physically and mentally for a QB. We cant let that kid transfer back home to FLLL and Mullet!!! Theyve never had a QB with that kinda potential not even Trash-k. Speaking of which - let them get all excited like they just beat a top 10 team! One thing you'll notice if you research Trask is that his accuracy freakin plummets if hes forced outta tha pocket and under pressure - I mean it drops off BIGTIME! So just like last season as soon as they face a team with a top tier defense and pass rush - Pitts or no Pitts they're in for a rough day - really rough if their defense doesnt vastly improve! We were able to do it to him for 3qrts last season and couldve done more had we not rotated as much and changed coverage in the 4thqrt. We dont need some phenomenal explosive offense to win against FLLL or anyone for that matter. Just a consistent and methodical one that can maintain discipline and avoid turnovers and penalties. Oh and score every once and awhile! LOL If we can turn it around and whoop Auburn in 1 week - we can do everything we set out to do. GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    JackalopeJackalope Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

I don't think there's a question about who starts. Stetson Bennett won that one last Saturday. If he never plays another game, he won the right to start this week. But he has to know that three quarterbacks are ready to come in if he falters. D'wan Mathis showed us what Jake Fromm showed Kirby, the big gun isn't always the one you need in a gunfight. Sometimes you want to poised, field general more. Someone who can settle the team down and take charge. Because of a new line, Mathis was running for his life. It wasn't his fault, but it WAS his job to settle down his team, jerk them up for penalties and stay calm and in charge. That's where he failed. The big arm didn't fail but there was no leadership out there when he played.