Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia-Arkansas football report card: Second-half surge raises bar

SystemSystem Posts: 7,422 admin
edited September 2020 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia-Arkansas football report card: Second-half surge raises bar

Georgia football turned it up on Arkansas in the second half, the offense and defense dominant at times as the Bulldogs won going away

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 348 ✭✭✭ Junior

Camarda was dropping dimes in the game. Jake has always had a very strong leg. In the past that resulted in a lot of touchbacks. He has learned to drop the ball inside the 10 yard line now. Camarda is developing into a very dangerous weapon for the Dawgs!

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

When Mathis was in, our offense looked like an 10 year-old playing Madden with Lamar Jackson. Ten step-drop, then sprint toward the right.

Then either try to run over a linebacker, run out of bounds short of the first down on 3rd down, or see how far downfield you can throw it.

All of this with a freshman QB playing in his first game.

It was embarrassing.

If Monken doesn’t learn, very quickly, that UGA is allowed to run the ball, we are staring down the barrel of 5-5.

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mathis had the happiest feet I’ve ever seen. He got a penalty once for starting his drop before the snap, and it could have been called multiple times.

If he’s that afraid of Arkansas’s defense, wait until he sees Alabama.

Thank you, Stetson. Get well soon, JT.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

To whomever, I do not think Mathis will see the Bama defense. Unless he overcomes his fear of defenses, he won't be on the bus. UGA cannot defend another performance like his. Mathis needs more practice and rep time to get comfortable working against stout defenses. You can tell, he is raw yet. Not saying down the road he cannot develop into a decent QB...but but not now.

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Well, I guess we might as well just go ahead and forfeit to florida, huh? Seems to be what all the "experts" have decided.

• Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited September 2020

Seriously Mike Griffith, you and your man crush love affair with this secondary is an embarrassment. A-???? I'm sorry, but your praising a defense that picked off Felipe Franks. He will probably throw 3 int's against 4 other teams this year, at least. A P.I. a few free running routes, horse collar (a.k.a. a lazy tackle), and our deepest guy got beat again, how, deep. Lecounte made a nice hit and celebrated himself and then turned around and got beat. All of the db's are that way. This is against a team with I repeat, Frank's at qb. Trask may have a field day on Ga. They proved last year that they can't cover Pitts. They gave up 180 yards to one of the worse qb's in the conference, with way better ones still ahead. And it's not like, Ark had 150 of those yards passing in the 4th qtr when it was over.

McIntosh is a stud so far on special teams. May want to get his hands on the ball a little more some how.

But offensively, it just plan offensive. Embarrassing.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, yeah, Florida is the darling. Just about everyone has been singing their praises the entire off-season, and it was going to take both their looking unimpressive (despite having a clear advantage in personnel continuity) and our looking incredibly sharp (despite significant staff and player turnover) in week one for anyone to back off of a position that they've held so long. The Florida hype is to be expected at this point, and won't be going away anytime soon.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2020

As hard to watch as the Arkansas game was, I'm still cautiously optimistic. The penalty issue was huge in disrupting the team's rhythm, and I have a hard time believing it will be anything like what we saw yesterday, going forward; indeed, it seemed to be pretty much resolved by the second half. Special teams was very encouraging, and the defense has more or less lived up to its ridiculous expectations so far.

It all hinges on how quickly the quarterback position is settled. If we could combine Bennett's confidence and leadership with Mathis' skill set, there would be no stopping this team. I'm not ready to give up on Mathis, but since it appears he will need some time to grow into the role, eyes are on Daniels. If we get solid quartebacking for a full game (one way or another), that obviously opens up the run game and makes the RBs and OL all look better. I'm rambling a bit here, and I think that's because we're one piece away from being true contenders, but it happens to be the biggest piece of all - Schrodinger's quarterback, if you will.

We always knew this was going to be a weird season, and we're just starting to see HOW weird. But hey, we're undefeated at the moment, and as I'm sure Oklahoma and LSU fans would attest, that ain't bad.

• Options
    RespectTheSpecsRespectTheSpecs Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

Special teams were an A++. Best I have seen in years and you could see the excitement with all of the special teams. You can tell Cochran's attitude and excitement carried over to the special teams.

5 punts inside the Hogs’ 20 - Has that ever happened with a UGA punter in one game? With UGA's defense and that kind of punting, it will be tough for teams to beat the Dawgs.

A blocked punt - That does not happen often with UGA. It was good to see UGA get good field position with the punt and kick returns.

A couple of penalties does not drop it below A+. I miss Rodrigo. Every UGA kicker should be required to wear specs! 😎

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 345 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'd really like to see a report on what the in-game atmosphere was like. Were there any Georgia fans in the stands? I would guess no, as tickets were so limited. If that was the case, was it pretty much silent whenever we had a good play? Also, was there any artificial noise allowed? It must have been weird for the players.

• Options
    BestofBreedBestofBreed Posts: 117 ✭✭✭ Junior

Heard people who were there saying it was LOUD. They were using the PA system to simulate noise. I'm not sure if it was normal game loud but definitely heard there was a home field advantage just on the piped in crowd noise alone. Heard unlike a normal crowd the noise didn't stop either like crowds ebb and flow throughout a game. In some ways it may have been worse, though it obviously wasn't the kind of rocking the stadium feeling you get w/ 100k