Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Social media praises Stetson Bennett, UGA defense but still ask major questions about the offense

SystemSystem Posts: 10,435 admin
edited September 2020 in Article commenting
imageSocial media praises Stetson Bennett, UGA defense but still ask major questions about the offense

Even as Georgia pulled away for a convincing 37-10 victory over the Arkansas Razorbacks, you could tell that Georgia head coach Kirby was not happy with how his team played to open the season. "We didn't execute well early, and when we did, we had penalties," Smart said. "I thought the defense played with a lot of

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

I know a lot about football but I'm no where near being a coach. Given my limited footfall knowledge, what I seen yesterday was shocking. I seen a starting QB who was way out of his league and simply had no business being in that role.

The question I have: Kirby and his coaching staff had no idea? They could not see this guy has no business even being on the team...much less being the starting QB?

I mean honestly I think this is cause for concern

• Options
    USADawgUSADawg Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I saw a young QB with a high ceiling that the coaches were "trying" to get some confidence going with. Rest of offense wasn't helping much (penalties anyone?) and then the big hit which changed his performance dramatically. He seemed to lose it after that. Hat's off to Stetson Bennett IV who came in and calmed the nerves and did exactly what you would expect a seasoned veteran to do.

I am certainly not giving up on D'wan though at this point in time. There were a lot of things that impacted his performance outside of his control (again... penalties, OL blocking, play calling), but it will be some work to get things right. Confidence is a shaky concept when you don't have a lot of experience. I absolutely believe that hit on him was targeting though.

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just another word on this game.......Sam Pittman? Frankly I was alarmed looking at this guy...He has to be over 350.......This is not a young guy and if he doesn't take care of himself he is going to die.

Also Kirby does not get a pass.......He is waaaaay out of shape....He could afford to drop 50 pounds easy.......Come on Kirby....You demand of the players...Let's start getting in shape

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“We didn’t execute well early, and when we did, we had penalties,” Smart said. “I thought the defense played with a lot of heart, but we’re not going to beat many football teams playing like we played.” Add to this, D'Wan Mathis.....he is simply not prepared to handle SEC rough and tumble football..at this time. He looked timid after that hard hit. I do not know what Coach Smart was thinking? Coach S even mentioned BEFORE the game that Stetson Bennett was performing very well. It is his smaller physical size that detracts from his perception. That young man excelled!! Where has he been? He acted like a "pro." Kudos!

Auburn is no Ark...they are much tougher and more talented. UGA will need Stetson's cool demeanor to start. Do not start Mathis....maybe insert him later for reps. I have trusted Coach Smart up til now. His RBs did not perform either. Special teams...A+. Receivers B. Offense F to C. It will take some time to transition to Monken's style. Where was Matt Luke? This was not a Baylor performance that earned him accolades. Not same team either, I realize that.

What can UGA hope to improve on in one week? One is: stop the penalties! Rep Bennett with the #1s. D'Wan with the 2s and3s. HOPEFULLY, JT Daniels can be cleared?? Run receiver patterns time and time again....under the SAME QB. Establish a cadence in the offense! More options with the offensive presentation....use RBs as decoys but also real time receivers. RBs must be able to convert 3rd down and 1 and 2 yds!!! Open the slot more..use Zeus. Cook needs stickier hands.

So much to improve upon, so little time. GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I agree with you on Stetson and the "targeting" hit. Mathis is going to need a lot of work if he is to develop into a championship level SEC qb.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Height. big arm. speed, doesn't always translate to a really good QB. Just means the possibility is there. Some things are instinctive, like knowing how far you have to run for the 1st down or laying it all out for the pylon. I kept looking for something, anything to find hopeful in Mathis, but I just didn't see it. Not Saturday. He was not mentally ready to play. He was close on a couple of long passes or just too wide and too much out of bounds. It reminded me of sandlot football. That is until Bennet came in and I was like OK we're going to win this thing.