Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart defends D'Wan Mathis, explains how Georgia offense failed young QB

2»

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fans tend to be overly harsh and overly dramatic, but the reality is that everyone WANTS Mathis to to be the guy and take us to a NC, but I'm not sure it's going to happen.

It's not said enough, but football is truly a TEAM sport. Every spot CLAIMS to be a team sport, but if you have a superstar basketball player, that can often be enough to turn an average team into an amazing team. Football requires a lot from the QB and it may be that Mathis just doesn't have "it". That "it" factor isn't just raw skill, but awareness and anticipation but also how the QB leads the team. "It" happens prior to the game even starting, "it" gets the players excited before the game and focused during the game and "it" lets them know exactly what needs to be done.

My bet is that Bennett came in and the other players began to feel more comfortable, pumped, focused and ready.

I'm about to re-watch Mathis' performance, but what I saw was something I'd expect from a true freshman, not a guy that has been on campus for 20 months now. It wasn't just the pick, it wasn't just the run where we could've gotten a first down, it wasn't the throws hitting the backs of linemen or the ill-conceived passes that wound up going for no or even negative yards. It was everything combined. It was a mess and I doubt it'll get much better in the upcoming month or two.

We are all rooting for you D'Wan and I hope to see you kicking butt and leading us into the playoffs, but I don't see it happening. I'm not sure you will start again this season. It sucks, it really does, but that's the truth.

• Options

I too was hoping to see Beck, but honestly, we never got to the point to where he could come in and play. We got our lead so late in the game and Mathis clearly needed as many more plays as we could give him. Beck is a true freshman, so someone like that you'd expect to make awesome plays but also bonehead-inexperienced plays that can cost you big time. I suspect we'll see him more as the season progresses. This is also where the G Day game would've been good to see him play.

• Options

After watching Mathis again and well, it's tough to tell. He had some close passes that could've been decent plays (like one that could've easily been a TD), but also a mix of bad decisions (his first pass should've been intercepted, he should've gotten an intentional grounding on one of the plays, etc).

We'll see. I still not sure he's "the guy".

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just thinking out loud but the game was too close to bring in Beck. We didn't take the lead til 6:00 in the 3rd quarter. Once Bennet established a victory, CKS brought back Mathis to let him save face and reestablish a modicum of hope for him.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

" but the reality is that everyone WANTS Mathis to to be the guy and take us to a NC, but I'm not sure it's going to happen."

Let me say unequivocally, that Mathis won't be leading this team to a NC, for sure not this year and probably not ever. He needs to put on 20 pounds of muscle, he's incredibly thin and he will need to toughen up mentally. You don't run out of bounds when it's 3rd down and you have a very good chance of getting the 1st down if you are willing to get hit and get 1 more yard.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't think much of the Bulldog nation is really giving Mathis a hard time about his performance. We are more disappointed for him that his first start worked out like that. And thankful that Stetson could come in and right the ship. No one has written off Mathis. Come coach, we are smarter than the average fan base ;)