Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Definitely off topic...but

donmedeirosdonmedeiros Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I felt this is a topic much deserving of some attention. Over the course of my life - 76 years and soon to be one more, I've encountered many folks I've referred to as "janitors". As I reflect back upon those days/years, there were more than a few whom I think deserved a lot of credit/kudos for the quality of their work and their attention to detail. For whatever reasons, perhaps because I've always been an early to work person and, because of coaching activities, a late to leave person, I've tended to get to know them better than most. Maybe also because I'm the worst (or best? ) at misplacing keys and have needed their help getting into rooms/offices. At any rate, I know how hard many of them work and the pride they take in their jobs. So...

NATIONAL CUSTODIAL WORKER’S RECOGNITION DAY

On October 2nd, National Custodial Worker’s Recognition Day encourages appreciation to the employees who keep our schools and workplaces across the nation running smoothly. 

Custodial workers operate behind the scenes. They are often under-appreciated for the hard work they do day after day, too. These are the personnel keeping schools, hospitals, office buildings, museums, churches, and other buildings clean and well maintained.

While delivering outstanding services and running a well-maintained building, they contribute to critical first impressions and the success of any business. They’re the people we call on to give our brick and mortar businesses a polished look. The bank, schools, and office buildings look organized and presentable because custodial workers efficiently keep everything in top condition.

Additionally, their skill saves businesses and organizations money. Well-maintained carpets and surfaces last longer. Seasonal updates and maintenance help buildings to run more efficiently, too. Custodial workers make sure buildings are ready for each season and running correctly. As a result, the buildings are safer and healthier for those entering them. They also free-up time for the rest of the organization to focus on growing a business, teaching students, or caring for others.

The work is physically demanding. Depending on the position, custodial workers may work varying shifts and possibly in several locations. They may be part of a team or work independently. No matter where they work, this day recognizes there dedication and hard work.

HOW TO OBSERVE #CustodialWorkersRecognitionDay

If you know a custodial worker, THANK THEM today! Use #CustodialWorkersRecognitionDay to post on social media.

And we can all do out part to help them do their jobs too. We can be clean ourselves by keeping work stations neat. After a break, pick up after ourselves in the lunch/break room. We can even do some light dusting around our desks, office or cubicle. There is no reason to leave a mess for anyone else when we can simply do our part to help.

Some food for thought in all of this. If you were hoping for a food related National Day, it is, also, National Fried Scallops Day. Enjoy.