Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National Moldy Cheese Day

donmedeirosdonmedeiros Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One of the odder ones I've come across, but hey, it's 2020. Doesn't get much odder than that - unless, of course, 2021 turns out to be a doozie.

NATIONAL MOLDY CHEESE DAY

National Moldy Cheese Day is a unique holiday that is observed each year on October 9.

A cheesemonger is a person who specializes in cheeses, butter, and other dairy products. They may take umbrage at the ordinary person’s offense of moldy cheese. Well, depending on the type of mold, of course. Some cheese molds, red or brown-tinged molds, for example, are offensive. Toss those bacteria-contaminated moldy cheeses in the garbage quickly and move along to the grey, blue, or green colored moldy cheeses in the fridge instead.

Like a sommelier pairs the best wines with meals, a cheesemonger provides expert advice on artisan cheeses for recipes, banquets, and sources for restaurants.

Cheeses such as Maytag blue, Roquefort, Brie, bleu, camembert, gorgonzola, and Stilton are a few of the moldy reasons cheese lovers celebrate on this day.

Moldy cheese gets such colorful phrases. For example, the fuzzy mold on a wheel of fresh brie is called cats fur. These bloomy rind cheeses take some careful maintenance. However, the results are satisfying. Isn’t the best food is a bit of a science experiment, anyway?

Gorgonzola cheese is made with three different kinds of mold spores. It’s like a milder blue cheese, but gorgonzola is creamier and earthier. Toss it with pasta and mushrooms for an outstanding meal. Also, it compliments any cheese plate. Add apples and tart, dried cranberries.

Do any of you include "fine" cheeses as part of your pre-game or in-game meals? Or, are you more like me. A slice or two of pepper jack on my burger is as close as I come to being a "cheesemonger"?

Comments

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I had a burger yesterday with blue cheese mixed in with the meat instead of just melted on top. It was divine.

• carnivorecarnivore Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm pleased to say that I've been kicked out of friends' homes for bringing absolutely delicious but horribly rotten-smelling stinky cheeses over.