Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Worst first day of driving stories

2»

Comments

• Options
    bbyrnebbyrne Posts: 25 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited October 2020

My sister had just gotten her learners permit on her 15th Bday, pulling out of the DMV in Tennessee and excited to finally be able to drive, she was at a stop sign waiting to turn left. Right in front of us a drunk driver hit a semi and it was fatal. she got out of the car and asked someone else to drive

(edit) I was 12 at the time and didn't really understand what I saw. Its much more horrifying in hindsight.

• Options
    DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Story in the local paper. Two blondes Got in a wreck with each other. Then in the parking lot of the courthouse they hit each other again. Story and picture portrayed them laughing at themselves and congenial.

• Options
    Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Looks like I'm not the only one take the family ride out for a spin well in advance of 15/16 years of age!

At the age of 14 I was Bantail Pigeon hunting with my Dad in the mountains above Big Sur California. Long story short a fellow hunter invited us to a party at the base of the mountain. Wow, what a spread including two flatbed trucks cooking whole steers. They had multiple bars and my Dad took advantage of all they had to offer. He got plastered and handed me the keys and said "Drive us home". Well that's a 5 hour drive! I drove about a 150 miles or so and we pulled into a motel to crash.

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That’s a memory for sure. At least your ending didn’t end up getting yanked and hit with a wide variety of things such as a phone and a broken piece of a 1x4. Tough motherly/neighbor love that day hahaha. Never saw my friend Mason run so fast

• Options
    Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My Dad kind of sobered up when I hit the gas and passed an 18 wheeler doing 90 MPH on a two lane road.

• Options
    CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hate to vote your post up @texdawg but did it out of solidarity.

I don't think any of us have a story that compares. I can only share a pre-16 story. My Dad and I were camping in the North Georgia mountains. It didn't go so well. Long story short, I went back at 15 to get the car. Now I had been driving tractors with 24 gears since I was 14, but I ran that automatic car into a ditch in my hurry up there in the mountains.

We were screwed.

Lo and behold, a recent tractor trailer pulling champion in Georgia came along, hooked up a line and pulled our car out. I picked up my Dad, told him the whole story, and we drove home.

It reminds me of a Forrest Gump quote. "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you 're going to get inside."