Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football latest loss to Alabama isn't 'a demoralizing thing' even if it feels that way

SystemSystem Posts: 10,422 admin
edited October 2020 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football latest loss to Alabama isn't 'a demoralizing thing' even if it feels that way

Moments before Georgia kicked off against Alabama on Saturday, the Atlanta Braves lost once again to the Los Angeles Dodgers to turn what had been a 3-1 series lead into a 3-3 series. It was clear that the Braves' loss was another bad omen for Georgia. For the Bulldogs authored yet another second-half disappointment

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JoeFannJoeFann Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

Love Stetson. Love his story. It's time for JT Daniels to step in and hit "lift off" on this rocket. The D is good enough (though not perfect.) Four passes batted down and 3 INTs doesn't cut it. Yes, we have (largely) inexperienced receivers that don't have the hands we need (yet,) but we can all see Stetson's limitations--deep balls, arm strength, sight lines, etc.-- so we need someone less limited. Whether it's Daniels or Mathis (or Beck,) I don't know. But I've seen enough from SB4 to know hr isn't going to get us where we want to go. Love you, Stet, but the experiment is over. If Kirby had recognized this in 2018 (with Fields,) we wouldn't be having these issues now. If Fields had waited one more year, he'd be leading UGA to a natty. As it is, he might win another one for OSU, which would make me puke repeatedly. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Texas_DawgTexas_Dawg Posts: 18 ✭ Freshman

We need a QB!!!! We should still have Fields but that's opening a can of worms! Just get JT Daniels in there. If he can't do it bring in Beck!! Cause this defense is getting wasted because the offense is down right bad!! If Kirby can't get these DBs up to speed then he needs to take a step back and hire a guy cause this is getting old against Bama!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"He’s a work in progress just like our team is,” Smart said of Bennett. “He’s going to grow and develop.”

Hmm that quote makes me uneasy. I get why the coaches stuck with Bennett as long as they did. But we've seen the ceiling with him and it just won't do. I'll hold off on criticizing the decision until I see who goes out there against Kentucky. A sudden change at quarterback for the Bama game probably wasn't the way to go, but if a change isn't made at this point with two weeks to get the next guy up to speed, well, I just don't see any defending it.

Also, I don't think the comparisons to the Fields situation are apt. Up until late in the SECCG, we had our eye on a playoff run. You don't risk throwing a wrench in that just to see what a freshman's got. As I see it, the Bennett situation is just the opposite. We've got a career backup getting his shot while a guy with P5 starting experience waits his turn. Let's hope the wait is over.

• Options
  • Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The loss is a demoralizing thing. We led Alabama at the half, again. Our offense was shut down in the second half, again. It doesn’t matter if it’s Alabama or LSU; we just can’t be over that hump. We’re beating Auburn because they’ve regressed since their last win over us, not because we’ve gotten better. At this point, I am going to stop watching the big games like this. If we make it to the SEC championship game, I’ll wait to see the final score and if we somehow win, I will watch the highlights.

• Options
    RealityBasedDawgFanRealityBasedDawgFan Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

He will grow and develop? You just lost me Kirby Smart. I have said all along that he does not have the insight and feel for how offenses and QBs work. That will continue to be his Achilles heel and might be his path out of Athens in the next 4-5 years. I am not sure he gets the long leash that Saint Richt received.

• Options

This result really didn't tell us anything we didn't already know. Alabama's offense is a handful, even for a stout defense. And our offense is not a finished product, as should be expected. We're implementing a new OC/system, and didn't have spring practice to work on it. The WR exodus a couple seasons ago was addressed with recruiting, but they're young and need time to come along. We had a solid option at QB, then he bailed 3 weeks before the season started. The guy who we thought could replace him is coming off brain surgery and simply wasn't ready. The other strong option is coming off a knee injury. So we've been going with a serviceable, but limited, backup. He's been doing fine for the most part, but that simply won't get the job done against top competition.

Again, these are all things we already knew. And they're fixable, with time. Seeing them play out shouldn't be a reason to give up.

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

“Again, these are all things we already knew. And they're fixable, with time.”

I’m just tired of getting my hopes up again and again, just to see us lose. It may be different reasons at different times, but the outcome is the same.