Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Fan Feedback: DawgNation criticize Stetson Bennett, Georgia offense for second half shutout at Alaba

SystemSystem Posts: 10,442 admin
edited October 2020 in Article commenting
imageFan Feedback: DawgNation criticize Stetson Bennett, Georgia offense for second half shutout at Alabama

The location was different, but the result was the same. Taking the field in Bryant-Denny Stadium for the first time since 2007, the No. 3 Bulldogs played well early against the No. 3 Alabama Crimson Tide. At halftime, Georgia led by four points. But similar to the two meetings at Mercedes-Benz Stadium during the

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Texas_DawgTexas_Dawg Posts: 18 ✭ Freshman

I don't know why Bennett was so locked in on forcing the ball to Burton even when he was not open! Why does our offensive scheme not move Pickens around or use a bunch set? hate to say this but JT Daniels needs to get a look. We need a QB!!!!!!! TODAY!!

• Options
    jackbmattjackbmatt Posts: 122 ✭✭✭ Junior

Agree Stetson's not the guy but if you don't get pressure on a QB like Jones with those receivers, you're gonna get torched. That Bama O-line was stout!

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bennett played his best. I think some are forgetting GA's installing a new offense - new OC, with many new pieces and without the benefit of Spring practice.

My biggest complaint is I think GA should've came out in the second half and tried to run it more than they did. The run game was going pretty good but hindsight is always 20/20.

Looked like Monken tried to match Bama with the air raid too often.

Also, it was essentially an evenly played game before the Bama 90 yard TD pass. I thought Waddle pulled the GA DB down on that play.

Then the Stokes PI on 3rd-goal giving Bama a 1st down on the 2 was a killer. Stokes played that perfectly but the official called it anyway.

If the GA defense holds them to 3 it could've been viewed as a positive. But the result gave Bama all the momentum.

There's still time to get better and this Bama team is beatable.

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So glad you said this. My kids say I am crazy but Danielsen said something like, you can't afford to fall down covering Waddle. I said well when he grabs your arm and pulls you it is hard not to stumble. The PI in the endzone is a momentum killer when you make a stop on perfect coverage. I said out loud well a flag is coming because we made a stop and there it was. Even the expert Gene from CBS said he saw no PI.

• Options
    psyopdawgpsyopdawg Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

I think we all got our hopes up after the last two games. The defense is great and full of super athletes but to ask them to carry us through a full season is a bit much. The offense is no where near capable of winning the national championship this year with SBIV, Daniels, Mathis or Brock V. Maybe next year if Monken sticks around. Hate to be negative

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The penalty on our DB, on the Bama throw into the end zone was BS to keep their drive alive combined with the incredible number of interceptions Stetson threw AND the number of batted balls because he is too short were just way too much to overcome. You can't ever turn the ball over that many times against Bama at home and expect to win! I hate to say it but if Newman or Fromm had stayed we would be talking about how great this team is and how great last night's victory was.

If one of the several talented QBs does not step-up, we will not be a playoff contender this year. I believe Mathis, Beck and Daniels are talented enough but it appears their lack of experience is too great of a hurdle at this time.

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 369 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Everyone is forgetting the shirt-dragging hold on the play before the field goal before the half that was not called. It was so blatant and right in front of the ref. I cannot imagine how they missed that.

At that point and just before the awful interference call in the end zone I was thinking that the officials were in the tank for Bama but then we pretty much ended it without their help.

I would submit, though, that the no-calls and bad calls shifted momentum in a big way. remember, the end zone interference was on a third down play. We stopped them and they got rewarded.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We played a team that matches us athlete for athlete and are better in some positions. We have good receivers but give the nod to Alabama here. D-line for d-line, I will take Georgia, give me Bama’s O-line over Georgia, give me Georgia’s linebackers as a unit over Bama’s. Secondary, I would probably take Georgia although the receivers for Bama exposed them. I’ll take our punter and our kicker. I’ll take Harris out of the backfield. That leaves us the qb position and Friends, that’s not even close. Stetson did about as well as his potential will allow against that caliber competition. Stetson is a great young man and has an outstanding competitive heart but his ceiling is not high enough to be an elite qb at an elite program. Jones for Alabama has shown he is elite against a top level defense. Harris is elite, Smith and Waddle are probably the 2 most elite receivers in college football today. Love Stetson to death, watched him play high school ball many times but if he is the best we have, then you saw how we are going to compete with elite teams. The Alabama offense is elite. Not sure anyone will have a defense to shut them down.