Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football report card: Bulldogs schooled by Alabama, 41-24

SystemSystem Posts: 10,447 admin
edited October 2020 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football report card: Bulldogs schooled by Alabama, 41-24

Georgia football didn't pass its first tough test, but the game was not a total failure for the young Bulldogs' offense, which will continue to grow

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Here is the situation. Bennett will always be the guy who wins at practice. Period. He's the guy who will work the hardest, knows the playbook best and gives it 110%.

Smart has a decision to make. If he continues to evaluate based on practice for QB, Bennett will be the starter throughout the end of the season. Oh sure we will make it to Atlanta but we will get destroyed... Again. Even if we were to make the playoffs, we'd get taken apart by Clemson. They are a class above us.

Saban knows how to win and I'm sure it sucks to be a hard worker player as things are not going to be fair. He ignores loyalty and puts in players that can win the game.

I already know that Smart will do the "right thing" and keep Bennett as starter and our path is set. Final Ranking: 5th to 8th

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You're never going to win a game against a team like Bama (or any decent team) with 3 turnovers that turned into 21 unanswered points for the Tide. It's that simple, because those turnovers deflated the team and changed the entire dynamic of what had been a pretty good ballgame up until the Q3. We laid an egg in the 2nd half. Our secondary got torched and our "elite" receivers were mostly held in check. I knew we'd be able to run the ball some based on Bama's uncharacteristic weakness on their defense. But, we made things MUCH easier for them with the turnovers.

You can't entirely blame Bennett for the loss. I hope he will learn from his mistakes. He tried to do too much on those 3rd down throws, and they cost us. This one will sting for a long time, and Kirby probably had a restless post-Bama loss night's sleep...AGAIN.

And once again, we are stuck in the upper-middle class of football teams....really good but not great....running in place every year waiting for all the pieces that we need to come together at the same time in the same season while the likes of Clemson and Bama somehow just keep reloading every frickin' year...

How do they do it?

Let's lick our wounds and hope to see the Tide again in December...GO DAWGS!!

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Come on, Mike. I give every unit a big fat F. We clearly showed we are not ready to contend for a NC, once again. All of these elite recruiting classes still don’t measure up to Alabama. Yes, we can win out, but what will be our reward? A rematch with them and another heart breaking defeat to put us in a bowl that most of our players won’t play in because it’s not the playoffs. Yeah, a lot to look forward to. Kirby obviously doesn’t know how to handle QBs. Why bring in a transfer QB from usc if he’s not going to play? A lot was exposed tonight. I just hope we can still beat fla now.

• Options
    MLVMLV Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

QB was an F. I like Bennett and his story but his limitations are limiting this team. JT and perhaps Beck need to see the field against Kentucky so we can see what they can do.

WR was a D-F due to dropped passes.

I saw some things I liked last night. A few improvements and we can win against Bama(like we did against Auburn in '17)in Atlanta in the SEC Championship Game.

Our special teams is really good. Our freshman class has been solid so far. I thought our backs and our O-Line looked good. The D is fast and disruptive but our secondary couldn't hang with the Bama WR's. And turnovers killed us.

• Options
    BigTenEatsFartsBigTenEatsFarts Posts: 147 ✭✭✭ Junior

Defense played like I thought it would, if you told me we would get almost no pressure on Mac. Besides the turnovers, the fact that we let that big **** sit back there for 3-5 seconds and let it rip really left our secondary hanging. You can only cover those speedsters for so long. Case and point on the route where devonta smith ran deep and then came back for a first down. How did our 3 deep group of linebackers only get home twice?

• Options
    BigTenEatsFartsBigTenEatsFarts Posts: 147 ✭✭✭ Junior

Apparently we.enie is a bad word haha

• Options
    DawgByteDawgByte Posts: 416 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited October 2020

I think this is a fair assessment in what turned out to be a very frustrating loss for Georgia fans. I think we were all hoping this would be the situation where we'd get over the hump/curse; whatever you want to call it, however such was not the case.

Perhaps I missed it, but one item that needs to be called out regarding Kirby led teams - PENALTIES. The holding call against Stokes was garbage, but after 3 full games you'd think focus and execution would reduce the number of costly penalties, however that wasn't the case. When you're playing against elite teams in their backyard you can't afford to make a lot of penalties.

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

Minor correction, Stokes’s penalty in the end zone was PI, not holding.

And as I mentioned on another column, that call was immensely frustrating because the officials did not call a penalty on a nearly identical play, Surtain covering Pickens, on UGA’s prior possession.

• Options
    jackbmattjackbmatt Posts: 122 ✭✭✭ Junior

Wow - I wish I had you grading my work when I was in school!

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It would be interesting if Mike would also grade the Officials.

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    Wozzo_the_Wonder_DogWozzo_the_Wonder_Dog Posts: 189 ✭✭✭ Junior

We knew going in that Bama’s QB and receivers were better than ours. Like that old quote about Jerry Rice - “they could catch a bb in the dark.” Most folks suspected Bama would throw long often in the first half, and run mercilessly on a tired UGA defense in the 2nd half. UGA’s lack of breakaway runs is baffling. Covid-19 and QB attrition will cripple any team, and you need a transcendent QB to beat Bama (LSU, Clemson, A&M with Manziel). There’s lots of chaos this year; plenty of chaos last Saturday: Clemson set an ACC record, and South Carolina & Kentucky broke ridiculous streaks. Ranked teams losing to unranked teams. UGA needs a QB with SEC experience, and similarly, we need to have a backup QB with game time experience. If we’re not careful we’ll end up Justin Fields-ing our backups and end up with the same problem down the road. There’s no margin of error. To be in the championship picture we have to win out and either win the SEC or lose the SEC championship in a very close game. Otherwise, we’ll have a completely unmotivated team (with many stars sitting out) playing someone like Cincinnati in the Peach or Citrus Bowl.