Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia learned 'it takes more' from Alabama loss, where Bulldogs must get better

SystemSystem Posts: 10,420 admin
edited October 2020 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia learned 'it takes more' from Alabama loss, where Bulldogs must get better

ATHENS — Georgia football got a reality check from Alabama on that’s in line with one of Kirby Smart’s team slogans: “It takes what it takes.” The Bulldogs players learned it will take more than what they put on the field at Bryant-Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa on Saturday night, and what they’ve be putting into their

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mike, this article sounds like a broken record of past losses and seasons under Kirby. Good but not great. I bet you get tired of writing these pieces.

We're just not good enough. Period. We can't compete with the likes of Bama, Clemson, and maybe even Ohio State. They reload every year, face obstacles, have new inexperienced QBs, lose studs, but are like the Energizer Bunny. We get top recruits but our development, coaching, execution, roll of the dice just can't keep up with the big boys...it's one excuse after another.

How long do we wait for great, elite? Even for one stinkin' season?

"It takes what it takes" and we obviously can't find the IT.

• Options
    CostaRicaDawgCostaRicaDawg Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

Great assessment. We are better than Bama in some aspects. Defensive line and linebackers are better. Equal in several aspects. Offensive line and defensive backs. Behind at the running back, quarterback and wide receiver positions. It is time the wide receivers step up just a little. They have great potential. As a group we can perform as well as Bama at running back. Harris was the best back on the field yesterday. Bama is one hard hit away from a freshman quarterback. Jones took more hard shots yesterday than he has in his career. He will be sore today and remember it the next time we play. How the DAWGS respond to the game yesterday will determine their destiny.

• Options
    BullDawg88888BullDawg88888 Posts: 29 ✭✭ Sophomore

Great analysis Mike. You are spot on.

• Options
    JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

After years of trying to run up the middle when it wasn't working, we stop when it was!

Also, often Mike Griffith states his opinion as absolute fact. Are we certain Daniels beat out Newman?

And it seems we get great recruits who turn into average to good players. Case in point: Why hasn't Nolan Smith developed? We are a no name defense because none of them dominate.

• Options
    BigTenEatsFartsBigTenEatsFarts Posts: 147 ✭✭✭ Junior

Did JT actually beat out Newman? That would make sense and make me less frustrated with him leaving us out to dry right before the season. I guess his knee must still be bothering him if he’s not playing?

I wasn’t glued to our front seven because those receivers were flying around, but I don’t know why we couldn’t get pressure. Bamas Oline is amazing, but none of our athletic linebackers could break through? It just didn’t make sense

• Options
    DawgByteDawgByte Posts: 416 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It's news to me that JT Daniels was ahead of Newman prior to Jamie's departure. Some were saying it was Mathis and even others thought Beck was ahead of Newman. One story floated around that after Newman's last practice when he knew he was leaving, he handed Beck a football and said, "This is your team."

In any event the gap between serviceable and elite is significant.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Here is the paradox. If you look at the odds for every game individually and assess the QB situation on a game-per-game basis, Bennett wins every time. He's every coach's dream - he gives everything, prepares, makes smart decisions (for the most part) and when he asks "Coach, what else can I do to win the spot?" you have very little to complain about. Not to mention the team loves him and roots for him and responds well to his commands.

So, if you ask "which QB has the best odds for us to beat Kentucky?" then it's Bennett. Same for Florida as he'll have even more experience and proven-ness. BUT... once you reach the SEC game, your odds of winning are next to nothing as are winning the NC. Why? Because the sky is NOT the limit for Bennett. He is at his limit. You could turn this into a movie and just like the movie, the odds of us winning all the way are next to nothing.

So now, you have to decide what you really, really want. Do you want to play each game individually and finish the regular season well or do you want to go for it all... because you can't do both. You can't do the "right thing" based on prep and practice. You have to be a cold-hard strategist to win. Saban did that and capitalized on the height disadvantage from Bennett and crushed our offense.

If you want to go all the way, you have to play all games like you are playing against Alabama and Clemson. Clemson got 35 points in ONE QUARTER against Tech. You really think that we'd have a shot against that with Bennett? No. Bama and Clemson and next tier and we have to play like them. Running it up the middle (even successfully) won't be enough to come up with a win. You need someone who is very capable of hitting 40+ yard passes consistently.

Even if it means risking a victory with Kentucky and then Florida, you MUST change our pattern and put in a Home Run hitter even if that means he doesn't technically play as well as Bennett would've. You gotta give JT a shot before he follows the same pattern and transfers. You gotta look Bennett in the eye and say "You did your absolute best and we couldn't have asked for more, but you cannot take us to where we need to go. It hurts us as well, but we have to give JT/Beck a chance to get us there."

• Options
    RomeDawg288RomeDawg288 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mike, I really believe you nailed it with this analysis. Hopefully, Dwan will not get discouraged and stay the course as he in my mind is a year away due to the recovery from brain surgery removing the cyst.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We are NOT equal to or better than Alabama in any way. Even their kicker was better than ours. Bennett has been a great story, but great stories don’t win championships. Our defensive players can’t get to star status because we rotate in and out so much. I originally thought that was a good plan, but now I don’t think so as much because no one can get in a rhythm. Just like running backs. Clearly, Zeus is not the best back we have. Kirby needs to stop being loyal to players by giving them playing time and stop worrying about players transferring. Win a NC, please!! I’m sick of our state teams, college or pro, that continue to have epic collapses in big games or the post season.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I certainly hope D’Wan won’t leave, but it’s an extreme possibility. He has a crazy history of committing and de-committing. He has already committed to 4 universities that I’m able to determine from the recruiting outlets. Those are Iowa State then Michigan State then Ohio State and finally UGa. Here’s a crazy thought to consider: Former UGa QBs who would have at least 1 more year of eligibility had they stayed in Athens: Jake Fromm, Jacob Eason, Justin Fields and Jamie Newman

I don’t think it’s a reflection of coaching, but more the problems occurring when you get too rich in recruiting QBs. Eason and Fields left because of their competitions with Jake From....while Newman likely left when Daniels arrived on campus. Wow, what a crazy situation we have backed ourselves into. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 395 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We knew that this would be a tough game and it was in the second half where we should have run a tin more than throw. To anyone saying that the ref's weren't totally on Bama's side you are crazy as hel*. They held Pickens arms down twice with no call and one time our DB touched their sainted receivers they threw numerous flags. The ref's were bought and we will see Bama again as we will not lose to Florida or Kentucky.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I mostly agree, but can only scratch my head over this prevailing sentiment regarding the run-pass ratio. For the past 3 years, whenever Bama comes up, virtually everyone has been harping on the decision to "let off the gas" and run the ball when we had the lead. This year, the plan was to stay aggressive with the passing game after taking the lead; naturally, people have a problem with it.

• Options
    BestofBreedBestofBreed Posts: 117 ✭✭✭ Junior

Sorry Mike, your logic on JT Daniels doesn't make any sense and sounds like you just are making stuff up. We are to believe JT Daniels was healthy enough to scare a guy off that even Kirby said was going to start? But also the reason said guy isn't starting is because he isn't healthy enough? This is all despite Kirby saying Daniels is cleared. It's OK to admit you either had bad info or were just guessing.

At this point it sounds incredibly silly to insist something that doesn't add up if you spend 2 seconds thinking about it is fact. You are very clearly using your opinion and treating that as reporting.

• Options
    RomeDawg288RomeDawg288 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you only recruit and have two to three qbs in the program, you are setting up for disaster as injuries and competition are part of the game. D'wan is no different than many 17/18 year olds. They change their minds- often. He is a Dawg through and through now I believe. This is simply a transition year at qb.

• Options
    BestofBreedBestofBreed Posts: 117 ✭✭✭ Junior

I said the same thing above. It's pretty obvious Mike is just reporting his opinion as fact. Sorry, but at this point you have to be insane to think JT Daniels was healthy enough to scare off Newman even though Kirby has admitted Newman was going to start and now argue that JT just isn't healthy enough. If JT is cleared by UGA but can't go due to injury doesn't that call into question the UGA medical staff...?

• Options
    GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

Truth be told....If Georgia is going to win a national championship, they will have to figure out their offensive issues. We have witness now from Georgia that defense alone is not going to win a championship. When teams like Bama and Clemson putting up mega points. We have seen that Stetson Bennett can win games, but going forward will he be the one that help improve Georgia offensive production. If Kirby and his staff is going to continue the season with Stetson, they will have to improve the offensive scheme to create mix matches with their skill players. Just like Alabama did last night against a top defense. Georgia could not take advantage of an Alabama defense whom have had some struggles. Maybe, give Mathis another shot or give Daniels a chance to see if the production on offense improve. Nothing against Stetson, but he have to show more. Kirby and his staff is getting paid the big bucks to make hard decisions. Now  is the time. I mean they bench Mathis after having bad outing. Will they make the same decision after Stetson performance. Only this week will tell. They have to take this week to find the answer to improve the team on all phases of the game. After every big loss, we continue to hear the same song about explosive plays and being better on offense. When is Kirby going to figure out the answer to that statement.   

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Look, we have to develop our quarterbacks. The Bennet thing was a feel good story but is he really better than Dwan or JT? We also have to develop our offense to score in three plays or less, to be lethal. but last night there was some bad calls that hurt us. If you touch bamas receivers you get called and they were riding our guys.

That PI call was crap, but it is what is is. Get Dwan and JT ready, also get milton ready, he is better than the rest. work to do, get to it

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Being medical cleared and being ready are two different things.