Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football winners and losers following 41-24 defeat to Alabama

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited October 2020 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football winners and losers following 41-24 defeat to Alabama

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. Georgia football winners and losers following loss to Alabama Loser: Georgia secondary Georgia has NFL level

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RighteousRighteous Posts: 18 ✭ Freshman

I'm a fan of the mailman but if we calling out the defense we got to call out Bennett those turnovers kept the defense on the field too long. Monken also gets on the list he went away from the run game in the second half. Lanning gets on the losers list no adjustments to prevent the big plays. Offensive line were winners and so was Matt Luke he is coaching them well plus he got a huge commitment from Mims this week. Go Dawgs we can and will beat Bama in December.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Winner: The memory of 2017 when the Dawgs laid an even bigger egg at Auburn with a 23 point loss then rebounded to throttle them in Atlanta!

All the Bama loss does is make it imperative not to have another inexplicable loss this year like South Carolina last year. Of course, the SEC office in Birming-Bama-ham has made it clear that they have no desire for their Tide to see the Dawgs again by making the Dawgs pay for what UF brought upon itself concerning their COVID idiocy by changing the Dawg’s schedule to accommodate the Gators.

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

I hate to point this out, but Georgia has lost six straight to Alabama, not three.

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

It’s not that I “want” a quarterback controversy. What I “want” is a quarterback capable of winning championships.

Kirby and the coaching staff watch practice everyday. If they think Stetson is the best option, so be it. But these same coaches also thought Dwan Mathis was our best QB to start the season. Were they wrong then? Are they wrong now?

Who knows for sure?

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don't hate on Bennett. Be grateful for him that he didn't pout and transfer when he wasn't anointed the chosen one. He's the best we've got and without him we'd really be in trouble.

If the coaches think it's time to try a change, then so be it. But at this point I'm skeptical.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I just watched the CBS Sports HQ YouTube video of the game and it's definitely worth watching. The game is compressed to 24 mins and you pretty much see every relevant play.

After watching it, I... I just don't know if we had a shot to win. The difference is Alabama (+ Clemson + probably Ohio State) have NFL level teams. Georgia is probably one of the best "college level" teams. That's just not enough to win.

Mac Jones nailed every throw (only interception was very, very early in the game) and then Harris ran 31 times (again: 31 freaking times) for about 5 yards per run. That is really all you have to know.

The combination of the two will give Bama a guaranteed 21+ points in the game (sorry, but the "goal" of 14 was unreasonable). Georgia had an 82 yard TD and Bama had a 90 yard TD. Take those out and you have Georgia with 233 passing yards on 39 attempts (about 6 yards per attempt) while Bama has 327 yards on 23 attempts which is 14 yards per attempt.

Those INTs and defected balls were critical and the different between a good-college-level pass and the elite-NFL-level passes from Jones and company. You can't go 18/40 with 3 INTs and win the game and you can't miss the big plays in the end zone and you can't play the easy-passes-up-the-middle against these tough teams.

This wasn't coaching directly. I thought that the play calling was good, but we've reached the limit of what we can achieve in this offense with Bennett.

This loss is an opportunity for Smart and the coaches to spend the next 2 weeks really re-thinking things... but they won't. They will try and compensate and "patch" problems but there is only so much you can do with the talent at QB that you have.

When Bennett starts vs Kentucky, that is on Smart. You are incredible Coach and I'd sign you to a 20 year contract if I could, but you are mistaken to keep Bennett in. We have the opportunity to go all the way, but you have to be willing to risk and go for it.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Okay, I've said my pieces now and I'm going to try and be positive going forward. I really DO believe that we will win out the rest of the regular season.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2020

Glad to hear it. I agree with everything you've been saying except the pessimistic prediction that Smart won't make the necessary change. Maybe I'm just in denial (he is still taking about Bennett improving going forward), but I have to believe he sees the same thing everyone is seeing and will do what's necessary to correct it. It just seems too obvious, and that there are too many other options, too ignore.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That's right.....unbroken chain of six losses to the Tide. Trend? Hey, just sayin'? Saban is an old schooler who can "make adjustments" and does to beat nearly every team he faces. UGA made changes second half..why? Positive me is gone this week. Good stuff from the RBs..bad stuff from the WRs. Was it raining? LOL Good and bad stuff from QB Stets. May need to sneak JT, Mathis or Beck in there. Stets gets rattled and forgets to run and heaves it to the defenders! Sophomoric play! This is his first big test.....BIG! Failed. Stayed with it Half One...that's it really. OL ...failed. Matt Luke, were you there? They were blowing through the OL like the dinner bell just rang...Stets on the menu. Also, Dean gets a sack and ooops...Bama scores three in a row after that. See a problem? Laurels do not work in football. The upside; unless things change for the better, UGA won't be meeting Bama again this season. Yeah, I read all of your promising positive posts on how UGA will still be SEC East champs...lighting up the like button. No way if there is not marked improvement on the OL and DBs....and yes...QB. My faith in UGA coaching is being tested right now....again! Done.