Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football stock report: Some ups amid 41-24 loss at Alabama

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited October 2020 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football stock report: Some ups amid 41-24 loss at Alabama

Georgia football lost to Alabama 41-24 on Saturday, but there were some Bulldogs who played well in the defeat, including a couple of running backs

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We have to be explosive with the ball. From here on out it's like always our backs are against the wall. We have to develop a playmaker at QB.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like the direction of the offense. It's still a work in progress but it's far less predictable that what Jim Chaney's were.

Monken and company seem to be doing a better job of developing the receivers. The O-line looks to be getting better as the season goes, and Bennett looks to be improving.

Alabama was the better team but not by as much as the score and the second half would suggest. Alabama should've been called for offensive PI on their first TD of the second half.

The PI call on  Eric Stokes was out of nowhere. Take away those two game changing plays and the end is much closer. Momentum is huge in CFB. The officials helped Alabama with that.

Georgia just needs to keep getting better on offense and develop the QB position- make a QB change, whatever gives the team the best shot at improving.

• Options
    JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

Rather lose this one and wake the team up to what's needed the rest of the season and the SECCG. Those two "big wins" against Aub and UT were shown to mean nothing on Sat as both of those teams stink, especially UT. If we don't abandon the run, then that's a much closer game. And think about this: Franks, Nix and Gurantano were all 5 star recruits. Who would you rather have, them or SBIV? It's not automatic that if we change QBs now that some higher rated dude with be better. Daniels threw a lot of picks against crappy Pac 12 defenses. And look how D-Rob has never produced much in the SEC compared to same crappy Pac 12 defenses.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So, was Kenny Mcintosh hurt on that kick-off return when he got popped. I don't remember hearing his name after that. Anyone know?

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Of course it's not guaranteed. What is? That's not the point. The point is that, while physical talent isn't everything, it does matter. If your quarteback lacks the arm strength to make the opponent defend the entire field, and the height to reliably get the ball beyond the LOS against a defense that's crowding it and knows to get their hands up to defend the underneath stuff, the whole offense becomes much easier to defend. And, to state the obvious, against top tier teams, it is a must that the offense perform at a high level - both to put points on the board and keep pace, and to avoid putting the defense in bad situations against a powerful offense. If the goal is to win the next six games and flop our way out of a playoff run in late December, then sure, let's play it safe. But if the goal is to win the SEC and go on that playoff run, the sooner a more physically talented quarterback starts getting significant in-game reps, the better.

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

In retrospect we couldn't match the Alabama offense with the big plays. Our best bet in this game may have been to slow the game down. Our running game was producing decent results, I would like to have seen a little more creativity with it, i.e. a couple more reverse type plays, a couple of toss sweeps, could have kept them guessing a little more. Mix that in with some shorter pass plays designed to pick up first downs. The home run balls just weren't working, either the receivers weren't open or Bennett missed them.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I suppose I should include the obligatory disclaimer that I'm not trying to bad mouth Bennett. I do think he's performed admirably and that we're in a better position now for having him on the team. But Saturday showed us, undeniably I think, that it's time to move on. Who knows, maybe it won't work out. Maybe installing a new offense with no spring practice is just too tall an order. I don't know. But if now isn't the time to make a move toward maximizing this team's potential, when is? I mean, what should we be afraid of losing? A trip to the credit card bowl?

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great defense versus great offense? I think we know the answer.

We were never going to win a shoot-out with BAMA. I think BAMA had 300 yards of offense at the half. So much for that.

I said last year and all offseason you have to be able to score 40 points a game to be elite. I'm not talking against Charleston U.

THe game has evolved to a track meet and you'd better have the horses to race with.

BAMA had 600 or more yards total. Against arguably the best defense in the nation statistically. Joe Burrough went through us like Sherman marching through Atlanta.

Clemson would do the same thing.

• Options
    MacroDawgMacroDawg Posts: 50 ✭✭ Sophomore

This game just made everything clear tome as a Dawg fan. If we want to compete with the Alabamas and Clemsons, we must totally change our offensive philosophy. We gotta go all in to be competitive. I hope Kirby can fix Qb issues going forward to next year and so. My optimism that we can win with a great defense and a decent enough offense is gone. Now Kirby has to find a way to make our offense as explosive as the top teams. I think Monken is actually doing a good job, but we still limited by great qb play.

• Options
    WayxATLdawg89WayxATLdawg89 Posts: 87 ✭✭ Sophomore

Mike, how can Jermaine Burton's stock be up when he only had 4catches on 11 targets. Granted one og those targets was not his fault but too often the ball hits him in the hands and he can't haul it in.

@JimmyBob , no one is blaming Stetson as he is playing to the best of his ability but ability vs capability is very different. Yes, JT may have thrown INT's vs Pac 12 but look at the line he had there compared to UGA and if anyone thinks Burton is better than D-Rob as a freshman you are sadly mistaken and don't know how to evaluate talent. I guarantee if D-Rob had 11 targets, he would have caught more than 4. D-Rob's problem has been not adjusting well to under thrown passes. Fromm missed him several times last year yet he was blamed for not coming up with the catch. Give him a different QB with a strong arm and he will beat most 1vs1 every time. As I've stated on earlier posts, the starting WR's should be Pickens, Jackson and D-Rob.

Go Dawgs

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mike...good to hear all of that upside of the past game.....the UGA boys are really out there getting it done. Sorry, have this nagging question....how then did Bama come up with 41 points? I know, I know, at least it wasn't 63 like against Ole Miss. Grateful for that......LOL

• Options
    MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 257 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited October 2020

One question. Where was Adam Anderson?