Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia coach Kirby Smart puts quarterback Stetson Bennett under the microscope

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited October 2020 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia coach Kirby Smart puts quarterback Stetson Bennett under the microscope

Georgia quarterback Stetson Bennett has done an amazing job rising from the ranks of a reserve and into the spotlight, but Alabama proved too much, and the grading curve has grown steeper

Read the full story here

Comments

• ATDATD Posts: 258 ✭✭✭ Junior

At Stets's size, Kirby could literally put him under a microscope.

• NashDawgNashDawg Posts: 63 ✭✭✭ Junior

I agree with the fact that shorter stature doesn’t mean a QB can’t be successful at any level i.e. Brees, Russell Wilson, Murray....but they are deadly accurate and create passing lanes. Bennett is mentally a baller, but even on completed passes was inaccurate and decision making can be suspect

but height doesn’t guarantee a lack of batted balls. UGA QB that comes to mind is Lambert

i watched JT Daniels at USC before he got sidelined with an injury and the potential is there. But consistency and decision making is unknown at this time

But Kirby is going to have to commit to the bigger ceiling and talent in this scenario.....otherwise is just another east championship and sitting home during the playoffs

• RealityBasedDawgFanRealityBasedDawgFan Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby Smart got away with that slightly smug, in apparent arrogance for his first few years because of early success and great recruiting, but the luster is wearing off with each successive failure and becoming tarnished and showing spots of early rust.

This is most glaringly revealed in gross mismanagement of QB as most have stated

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That's pretty funny.

Actually, from what I've read, Stetson is only an eighth inch under six feet.

Compared to giants Stetson is pretty small, but he tends to surround himself with very large guys.

Go, Dawgs!

• DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Let's be brutally honest. Kirby Smart is a DGD, but he is not Nick Sagan (who is, other than Dabo today). Rewind to the Natty. The winningest coach in college football pulled his QB. And they won the game. Did anybody believe that KS might pull Stetson out of a situation in which he was CLEARLY not succeeding, in order to give UGA a chance to win this past Saturday? NEVER. He does not have the guts to make that call. One day.... maybe. But right now, there is a significant gap between coaching staffs - and the gap is entirely in the head coach's office. If UGA didn't have an incredible line-up of talent, it would be worse. But the idea that you recruit great players and you're done is simply nuts. Lombardi, Belichick, Shula, and so forth: did they always have the most talented players on the field? Answer: NO. The SEC, after recruiting, is a coach's league. That's why Saban stands with his foot on the skulls of his assistants, still.

• JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't know who should start. MAYBE JT is the guy, but I can't understand those who are so sure of it. The guy had a middling freshman year against Pac 12 defenses, and lost the starting job, that's why he's here, folks.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just went back and looked at the replay of the first 3 drives and it was painful to pause the action when Bennet goes back to pass and to see who is open and who he actually throws it to. Now to his defense I don't know where the throw was designed to go. I thought though you go through your progressions. Not only the first 3 possessions but often during the game he had players wide open and simply threw the more difficult lower percentage pass. For goodness sakes take what they give you until you get the open guy for a big play. On the 2nd or 3rd possession when he took the big sack, he had Cook wide open right in front of him and an open lane to throw through and for some reason he couldn't pull the trigger. I don't even think he saw him.

One of the things that impressed me most about JT in watching his freshman year at USC was his ability to survey the field and find the open guy. Not sure why he hasn't played yet unless he's afraid to take a hit on that knee and Kirby knows it.

• SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited October 2020

The press and pseudo press that cover the team own some of the blame for not forcing Kirby to defend his QB evaluations. Let’s examine the track record. Eason lost his job due to an injury. That should never happen. As a result, Eason transferred. Then Kirby picked Fromm over Fields despite what we saw in the G-day game. Name me one player personnel director on an NFL team that would select Fromm over Fields. As a result, Fields transfers. Then Jamie Newman comes in and decides to opt out. After that, Kirby names Mathis as starter and pulls him after a quarter, only to replace him with a former walk on QB.

Is it possible that Kirby is protecting his team’s (and by extension his own) defensive shortcomings by always choosing the game manager instead of the more talented but riskier QB? Ask the questions and keep asking them until Kirby answers.

• WayxATLdawg89WayxATLdawg89 Posts: 87 ✭✭ Sophomore

@JimmyBob , obviously you weren't watching the same JT Daniels because he wasn't benched and lost his starting role due to not performing well. JT was injured like Eason and lost his position. He transferred because he wanted to go to a team that was going to win and use his skills. USC is a long way from winning right now. Like I said before, UGA was not the only P5 school that wanted him. We were fortunate to land him because of Monken not Kirby. Who wouldn't want to play for an OC from the NFL, i.e. Burrows and Brady at LSU.

C'mon Dawg fans let's rally behind playing the best instead of the safest. I was and still am for Kirby because he is a DGD but we have to hold him accountable like everyone did with Richt. I hope CKS is as Smart as his namesake because we are on the verge of losing recruits because they see what is going on as well. We got Mims but will others follow if we continue to just get past teams that we should be blowing out in the conference...

GO DAWGS

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I encourage everyone speaking negatively of JT to watch the games he played in. He looked pretty darn good to me. It's unclear whether he has some of the "other" important qualities of being a QB (leadership, game smarts, etc) but he's got the raw talent. I'd at least like him to try a few drives and throw some long balls (NOT just hand it off) and see what happens. I'm not saying it has to be a dual-qb situation, but give the guy a shot at least.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe JT isn't ready to run around and scramble with his knee. I get that. But I challenge anyone to take a look at his film and see how he surveys the field buying time with his legs until he finds the open guy. Not simply forcing it to the receiver he feels most comfortable with.