Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Real numbers: Putting Alabama offensive onslaught against Georgia into perspective

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited October 2020 in Article commenting
imageReal numbers: Putting Alabama offensive onslaught against Georgia into perspective

Few would have expected this season's Georgia football defense to have the worst performance of Kirby Smart's tenure as the Bulldogs' head coach

Read the full story here

Comments

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And again, this was only Mac Jones's 7th start...shows you how good Bama's offense is... again.

• BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am a big Kirby fan. I respect his love of UGA, his devotion to building a top tier program. However, it seems every year we’re riding this same carousel of Kirby, seemingly to me, wanting to rein in the offense and dominate on defense. I get that, his DNA is defense. When he brought in Monken however, he knew exactly what he was getting, a coordinator that likes to air the ball out. My question is this. Is Kirby trying to be too hands on with the offense when we have an offensive coordinator that’s supposed to be one of the best in the business? Is this sending mixed signals to the team? If this is the case, my thoughts are “Kirby let your coaches coach and trust in them to get the right players on the field and let them do their job .” I’m probably wrong but just my two cents worth. Go Dawgs!

• Dogbone1Dogbone1 Posts: 15 ✭✭ Sophomore

Agree totally with BornADog. First off we did not come close to dominating AL in defense despite our veteran team. After losses upcoming after this season this will require a sharp setback.

kirby’s short leash on Monken is obvious, as for the last 2 OC before him. The belief that you can control offenses like AL, Clemson, Ohio State, and (last year’s) LSU team enough to beat them with a subdued offense is nothing more than fantasy.

And I believe that he has placed far more emphasis on recruiting top shelf Defensive players in the last few cycles than Offense. To beat the top teams you need a 5 star QB, but also 5 star receivers like Waddell and Smith, and diverse play calls with enough aggression to match. AL moved down the field with 23 seconds before the half to get a FG, and we need that type of fast strike capability. Last time we truly had that was Aaron Murray and Bobo play calls.

We have been replicating variations of the same basic plan for all of Kirby’s seasons and keep coming up short. Time is nearly gone to beat Saban before he retires.