Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football podcast: Some fans left confused by Kirby Smart's comments on UGA offense

SystemSystem Posts: 10,442 admin
edited October 2020 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football podcast: Some fans left confused by Kirby Smart's comments on UGA offense

Georgia football is the No. 1 topic every day on DawgNation Daily — the daily podcast for Georgia Bulldogs fans. Catch up on everything happening with UGA athletics with host Brandon Adams and the DawgNation experts as they break down the latest Georgia football recruiting news and discuss coach Kirby Smart’s quest

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RealityBasedDawgFanRealityBasedDawgFan Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

More of the same

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2020

Yes, fans are getting a bit of the runaround in my opinion. Like was said on the podcast, Saban said succinctly that high powered offenses - like Bamas currently - will usually win out over even the best defenses in today's college game.

Balance? Sure, you have to have a balanced attack, and Yes, RPO ball is a great way to keep the defense guessing. I do believe we are still struggling to find our offensive identity. We'll never get to elite offensive status with our current 3rd down efficiency and Red Zone offense ratings (which are pretty bad). And with so little attention being paid to our best wide receiver, Pickens, my guess is Monken is having to tweak his offensive game plan unexpectedly to work it within Bennett's wheelhouse. I also think Kirby has tipped his hand on the QB situation, and I can now see Bennett will continue to be the starter unless he really struggles. Hard to believe, Bennett, a 2-star that was told-he-wasn't-going-to-even-be-considered this year by Monken, is now our starting QB over other 4 and 5 star QBs that we currently have. Makes me wonder what Vandergriff is thinking now about his commitment for next year. He's gotta be scratching his head about Kirby's thinking...but maybe Smart will prove us all wrong.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, I was thinking about your last point earlier. It would be interesting to know (not that we ever will) if they've discussed it and if so, how enlightening Smart's explanation might have been, given the freedom to speak privately on it.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Smart will prove us all wrong? Unless there are two different Stetsons...no ...he won't prove us wrong...not at the Bama , Clemson level. No chance. I have watched Stets closely. Frankly , his arm is weak...yes, it is. He wheels his arm to get length...down goes the accuracy. He can perambulate pretty well..I'll give him that. The team seems to really like him....but he is not CFP material. Yes, we could win-out with him in the East but that is it. Hey, I do believe in miracles...! I am ready for the down vote button...so have at it.

• Options
    randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

i want to believe Kirby knows something we all don’t and he wants to keep other teams guessing. But I don’t know if that’s so anymore. I fear we have a great recruiter who happens to be a head coach who has an offensive philosophy from the 80’s. That might win a championship in 1985 but not 2020. Really makes me sad for UGA.

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

The podcast is becoming repetitive.

Brandon, what exactly do you want Kirby to say in the press conferences (that only the media care about)?

Do you want him to say that he wishes Justin Fields was still in Athens? Do you want him to say that UGA's offense won't be elite as long as the best QB on the team is a former walk-on?

What do you want him to do about the quarterback situation between now and Saturday that would make UGA's offense record-breaking and prolific overnight?

Our receivers are young. Our tight ends are young. Our running backs are young. Our offensive line is young. Our QB is, again, not exactly Fields or Lawrence.

I don't know exactly what you expect Smart to say, but the podcast has become five hours a week of you asking the same question over, and over, and over, and over and over......

I can only speak for myself, but you are losing me. There are other podcasts out there I can listen to.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just look at the Chiefs and their high powered offense. Maybe the 85 Bears could stop them, but I doubt it. If you can't boat-race with the Chiefs don't show up.

• Options
    SteelerDawgSteelerDawg Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm 100% behind Coach Smart and he has earned the benefit of the doubt. I will also say that part of developing yourself is knowing your own blind spots. He is a defensive coach first coach, and a great one. Of course he wants an offense that "takes what they give him" because that is what best helps your defense. Take your time, grind it out a little and protect the ball so you don't put his defense in a bad position.

I would encourage Coach to ask himself how successful his defense would be if they were forced to play the same way he is asking the offense to play. How much havoc could we see from a bend but don't break / prevent defense? I don't think he would be very successful taking what the offense gives him as a defensive coach. Let the offense attack like the defense.

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

The defense can bounce back just as soon as we get an offense that can score points in all four quarters.