Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football teammates share bye week improvements of quarterbacks Stetson Bennett, JT Daniels

SystemSystem Posts: 10,447 admin
edited October 2020 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football teammates share bye week improvements of quarterbacks Stetson Bennett, JT Daniels

The Georgia offense has heard it all the past couple of weeks. About how they weren't good enough against Alabama. Or how there needs to be a quarterback change. Any insult or suggestion you can imagine, they've probably seen it if they've checked social media. Had the Georgia schedule not been reworked following the

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 622 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I trust in Kirby and this coaching staff to put us in the best position to win football games. I admit I have been critical of not giving another QB a chance to see what they could do when Bennett struggled against Alabama. However, if Bennett has the same inconsistencies this weekend, I can only hope another QB will be given a shot. It only took one quarter to pull Mathis when he struggled. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    plrdawgplrdawg Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

I know as fans, we don't get to see everything that may be a factor in the decision to play a QB, but we have seen, in real time, what it takes to win a game against Alabama,, and there is a great disparity in the position of our QB. Long balls are not accurate, short balls across the middle are batted down because of poor throwing lanes, poor decisions made under pressure, and throwing across his body across the field instead of throwing into the stands on a roll out. Is JT. Daniels that bad, that SB is better? If so, let's get him better. If we can't win it all with SB, let's get the NEXT UP ready for the future.. That has been the problem in the past, giving up on the future, for a win today,,,,and the best talent we have transfers out, and eventually becomes better than what we currently have.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mathis got six series and well into the second quarter. He looked exactly like a young QB that had never taken a meaningful college snap and didn’t have the benefit of spring ball nor summer workouts. Unlike Bennett, he did not show the effort that may have made up for his glaring deficiencies. We were lucky to have Stetson to save our behinds against Arky or we could well be much like LSU...playing out the season hoping to get a decent bowl game in Florida.

• Options

JT has to be the most discussed third string QB in college football.

• Options
    plrdawgplrdawg Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

I hope in the off week, SB has learned to throw a "back shoulder" pass

• Options

I stand corrected. He did play into the second quarter. But the fact remains if Stetson comes out and shows the same inconsistencies, although against a much weaker opponent he probably won’t, as he did against Alabama, changes need to be made. I hope he has worked out some of these issues during the bye week. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    WoodstockDawgWoodstockDawg Posts: 250 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Bennett came into the Ark game and calmed yes, but the offensive line quit killing every drive. I personally thought DM showed better accuracy and arm, just 1st game jitters. Absolute shame he has not had another chance. SB had a good 2nd half against Ark, 1st half against AU, and average 2nd half against TN. Rest of his play has been sub par. Develop a more talented QB because just like happened in every half but the 2nd of Bama our defense will win the game.

• Options

Hmmm. So, Mathis casually stepping out of bounds a yard short of a first on third down rather than being h### bent on getting a first down to continue the drive didn't kill a drive? Mathis bailing with even the slightest hint of pressure, a common occurrence for inexperienced DT QBs, made the OL look horrible. Bennett didn't just calm the offense, he actually stepped up and delivered the ball.

My surprise isn't that Bennett is our best chance of winning, it's that Mathis is ahead of Daniels.

By the way, if we can throw just any QB out there and let the defense win the game, how'd that work out with SC last year and Jake was light years ahead of where Mathis and Daniels are this year. Saying we ought to "develop" a QB for the future rather than playing the QB that gives us the best chance to win now is also saying that if Kirby does as your saying and we wind up in Shreveport rather than the SECCG and the playoffs, you will be perfectly fine with that and will not criticize Kirby and the coaches. Yea, right!

• Options

I know Stetson's deficiencies. Against a team like Bama you can't have five passes knocked down, three interceptions, and open receivers waiting for the ball which made nice gains that could have been TDs if properly delivered. Even the TD to Cook was a floater. I get it! However, from what I saw of Mathis against Arkansas and that's all we have to base our opinions on, the game would have been over in the first half against Bama with no hope of a comeback. Even with those deficiencies, at this point, the season is not lost and Bennett is better that what's behind him. This team will go only as far as Stetson can take it. Just like UGA vs. Auburn in 2017. After the debacle on the plains, Kirby was an idiot, Eason was a DN darling and Fromm should never play another game of UGA football. Kirby said about Jake and the offense the same thing he is saying now about Bennett, "Other players on the offense are going to need to step up." Step up they did to within a play of a NC. Now, we have a similar debacle in Tuscaloosa and Kirby is an idiot, everyone loves Mathis/Daniels (based on absolutely nothing), and Bennett should never see the field again. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

• Options

To be perfectly clear, I do not believe Mathis is ready for big time college ball at this point. I brought up Mathis simply because he was pulled after struggling against Arkansas. What I am saying is we have other options. Whether they are good options or not, we won’t know until they’re thrown into the fire a series or two and see how they handle the pressure. I think most of us can agree it would be worth a shot. Obviously I’m not a coach, line everyone else here, and this is only my two cents worth. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

JT (reading between the lines) is still healing, whether that be mental or physical but his locker mate says he's "coming along nicely"(or whatever). JT will be here next season(unless he transfers)which will happen if he is absolutely healthy but just lost in the shuffle at UGA. For those of you who may not have researched JT let this sink in a little. From Wikipedia on his high school career : Daniels was notable for earning the starting position his freshman year and full play calling responsibility his sophomore year, the latter of which being a distinction that took fellow Mater Dei and USC alum Matt Barkley until his senior year to earn.[3] He threw for 4,849 yards and 67 touchdowns his sophomore season. As a junior, he won the Gatorade Football Player of the Year and then later the Male Athlete of the Year award [4] after passing for 4,123 yards and scoring 61 total touchdowns (52 passing, nine rushing), leading his team to a 15–0 record and a consensus high school football national championship. I don't care if those are Pee-Wee football numbers the kid is more talented than most on here are giving him credit for. Be a shame to lose another talent like him

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good comments from you armchair pundits....I'm going to wait and see what really happens Saturday. Then you'll hear a lot from this old Dawg.

• Options
    DCDirtyBirdDCDirtyBird Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

Let's be clear, Fromm did not get us to the NC. The NFL talent surrounding him did. All of the WRs and TEs are in the league and well...Sony and Nick.

What we saw is that to win a NC you need a playmaker at QB. As hard as they worked,, Fromm wasn't that and Bennett isn't that.