Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Blankenship earns starting job

2»

Comments

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:
    **** you guys already barking not to give him a scholarship are **** stingy.

This is Kirby's whole thing. He wants them to compete for playing time.

So one kid sacrifices to enter that competition, and wins! And the first thing you jackasses say is "No, no, no, don't give him a scholarship!"

Hell of an example for other kids who may consider entering the competition.

The problem is that this is the only scholarship we have for early enrollees. Yes there is likely some Seniors that will graduate early which will add to that together with those have transferred out at the end of the season. We only had 6 available for 2017 and likely will be less or the same this year. Some of our key recruits are wanting to enroll early. Do we tell them that they can't and risk losing them. Do you know who is graduating early and who wants to enroll in January? I know Wyatt is one. If he qualifies and wants to enroll early I for one wouldn't want to tell him no. RB is an okay kicker and I like him but be honest it's been more of the "Best of a bad bunch" rather than a Kevin Butler reborn kicker.

• Options

^^^^ Supposing that we win the SEC and are in the play-offs. Would you force people off the team even if they are not in the 2 deep so that you can sign a top 2018 recruit who wants to enroll early. That would destroy morale heading into the play-offs IMO. Not a good move

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Rodrigo was a solid kicker last year, but not great. He handled his dad's scholarship fiasco admirably. However, he was a liability over 45 yards out and kickoffs weren't getting enough hang time or into the end zone enough. Kick coverage was a weakness last year and it starts with a good kick. Also, would be nice feeling like you've got a decent shot at 50-55 yard attempts, especially to end halves. If he gets better in those two facets of the game, then you can talk about a scholarship next year.

• Options
    amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can’t say either way how the scholly’s fall for K/P’s this year or next, but what I can say is that these positions on a top level team are much more important than some see. UGA had 6 games last year that were decided by 3 points or less. What is the “most efficient” way to add 3 points to your score every game? Hold on, yes, the obvious is a field goal, but field position is equally important. This being said, not all 6 of these games came down to a game winning/tying FG, but 3 more points in any of those games would have been huge either way.

We missed at least one FG in 3 of those 6 games and I’d have to research further to come up with how many, if any, of those games we passed on a FGA due to not having a long range place kicker. I do know this, our loss to Vandy was very heavily decided on ST’s and field position.

I’m not saying we should have multiple K’s or P’s on scholly, but I do think those positions are overlooked in importance at times. I hope we don’t have a lot of games that come down to 3 points or less over the next few years, but you HAVE to have the pieces in place.

Congrats to KRod! He took the bull by the horns and earned the starting spot! I, personally agree with the choice not to give him a scholly this year (decided earlier). Although he had an OK season, he just couldn’t get the ball in the end zone on KO’s consistently and he wasn’t likely going to hit a high percentage of FG’s outside of 40 yards, but if he does well this season, remains in that #1 spot, I just don’t see how we “can’t” put him on scholly.

• Options

@amjadawgs said:

I can’t say either way how the scholly’s fall for K/P’s this year or next, but what I can say is that these positions on a top level team are much more important than some see. UGA had 6 games last year that were decided by 3 points or less. What is the “most efficient” way to add 3 points to your score every game? Hold on, yes, the obvious is a field goal, but field position is equally important. This being said, not all 6 of these games came down to a game winning/tying FG, but 3 more points in any of those games would have been huge either way.

We missed at least one FG in 3 of those 6 games and I’d have to research further to come up with how many, if any, of those games we passed on a FGA due to not having a long range place kicker. I do know this, our loss to Vandy was very heavily decided on ST’s and field position.

I’m not saying we should have multiple K’s or P’s on scholly, but I do think those positions are overlooked in importance at times. I hope we don’t have a lot of games that come down to 3 points or less over the next few years, but you HAVE to have the pieces in place.

Congrats to KRod! He took the bull by the horns and earned the starting spot! I, personally agree with the choice not to give him a scholly this year (decided earlier). Although he had an OK season, he just couldn’t get the ball in the end zone on KO’s consistently and he wasn’t likely going to hit a high percentage of FG’s outside of 40 yards, but if he does well this season, remains in that #1 spot, I just don’t see how we “can’t” put him on scholly.

I agree with the caveat that by January/February we will know how we stack up against the 24 and 85 scholarships and whether on not giving him one will impact the 2018 class and if so who will not be able to sign if he gets one. Of course, if he misses a 27 yarder for the win in the Championship game in January then asterisks complete the sentence :D

• Options
    DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If I was KS, I wouldn't give up a full scholarship to Rodrigo. Especially when he has Marvin to play this year. Why put two kickers on scholarship? Especially when Camarda has a chance to handle both punting and kicking duties.

• Options
    SIlverCreekDawgSIlverCreekDawg Posts: 110 ✭✭✭ Junior

@BamaDawg said:
    Why not give it to him this year?????? It's got nothing to do with who is coming next year!!!!!!

He has BEAT out everyone that CKS has brought in to beat him.... I don't care if Jesus is coming in next year, that's next year.....

Can't give it to him. It has to do with the fact that classes have already started, etc.

• Options
    BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SIlverCreekDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:
    Why not give it to him this year?????? It's got nothing to do with who is coming next year!!!!!!

He has BEAT out everyone that CKS has brought in to beat him.... I don't care if Jesus is coming in next year, that's next year.....

Can't give it to him. It has to do with the fact that classes have already started, etc.

If that is true, and I have no reason not to believe it, then that is understandable.

• Options
    BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wonder if Rodrigo was totally healthy last season? I remember his Dad being quoted over a concern about how much kicking took place during the week, which may have been related to a dead leg and/or trying to rehab an injury such as a pulled muscle.

Keep in mind that when you view regular season high school games kick-offs are from the 40 instead of the 35 and placekicks have the block tee.

In the Army All-American Game kicking from the 35, Rodrigo was solid in terms of distance, hang-time and directional kicking. He was also solid in what was probably his first live game kicking off the ground. In the second All-Star game outdoors kickoff's were from the 35 like college but he used a block tee on field goals.

BTW: Rodrigo may have made the decision to switch to goggles after the onside attempt at 1:53 of the clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JFGe1F-Dcg

• Options
    BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was not at the game, but it appeared Rodrigo's kick-off's were high quality in terms of distance and hang-time, similar to his kick-off's in the All-Star game above.

• Options
    DawgVaderDawgVader Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

Great to see Specs rising to the occasion, and our kicking game overall a more reliable piece of the puzzle...