Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

How the South Carolina head coaching job impacts Georgia football program

SystemSystem Posts: 10,534 admin
edited November 2020 in Article commenting
imageHow the South Carolina head coaching job impacts Georgia football program

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. How the South Carolina opening impacts the Georgia football program On Sunday night, South Carolina made a

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 2020

Would love to see bobo back in Athens, if he is not retained by South Carolina or picked up from elsewhere. Feel like he would be a major upgrade, if only to bring in as a qbs coach. I understand that is monkens job, but feel like it would greatly benefit us to have a full time qb coach. We need one in the worst way. Look at our last superstar qb, in college anyway, in Aaron Murray. He even had Hutson Mason, with all his lack of talent, ready to compete for a full year after Murray left. And the qb room has been spotty ever since. Imagine if Fromm had had bobo instead of Chaney? I've always believed that Bobo achieved more with less than given credit for. Especially given our lack of OL during his time as UGA OC.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Early on in his stint as OC Bobo was pretty terrible (extremely predictable), but he learned on the job. His offenses would have won championships if we'd had a defense. Wasn't he around when we were going with cousin Willie Martinez's "soft" zone. You'd be watching the tv screen. The opponent's receivers caught the pass. There wasn't a Georgia player on the tv screen. With a defense that soft even Bobo's offenses couldn't always win, but it wasn't Bobo's fault Willie was Richt's cousin.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

100% truth there. Our defense was okay at best under richt. Offense was average to above average some years. If we had any kinda sorta defense, we'd easily have a championship or two. And richt would probably still be here.

So if we want to get back to being on the verge, we need a surefire QB coach. And also WR coach, if there's one available. We have truck loads of talent, but it all seems to have disappeared when they got to college. Defensive side, we're developing quiet superstars(baker, stokes, Davis, etc..), offense is a problem. Too much talent, not enough gelling.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bobo isn't going to go back down the totem pole to a QB coach after he's been OC and Head Coach. He is still a relatively young guy in coaching years and he's getting paid well. I don't know what the QB coach makes but it sure isn't OC type money at a major school.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I could see a situation where if he doesn't become HC at SC that a new "offensive guy" might bring in his own OC and Bobo would perhaps be out of a job. The more likely scenario is if they can't find a guy on the ascent with super Offense credentials then Bobo is your guy. You can probably get him on the low side money wise.

• Options
    natejawsnatejaws Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior

Conner, do you honestly think we ever stopped recruiting Stockton? Vandergriff may be the next great thing or overrated, no way to tell until he actually takes a collegiate snap. As always, get the absolute best players every year and let the chips fall where they may. If you don't want to compete at the highest level, commit to UT Chattanooga or directional Louisiana, just stay out of any major program that want to win championships. Hopefully Kirby has an embarrassment of riches at the qb spot again. I'm sure he'll play the best players.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I guess what a few of you guys are saying is if Richt had a matured Bobo running the offense and Smart the defense, UGA would need a new and larger championship trophy case? And, Richt would still be at UGA. Interesting.

• Options
    GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

I disagree with a "few of the guys". The problem pre-Kirby was not necessarily coaching, but a lack of commitment at the very top to pursue championships. UGA had a really good starting 22, but it dropped off significantly from there during the Richt years. Any championship program over the past decade, especially on defense, could rotate players throughout the game. Kirby would not have the recruiting success he has had unless the mindset changed at the top. I'll go one further and say that Kirby could not do as well as Richt had the administration not drastically changed.

• Options
    Bigjohnson92Bigjohnson92 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Get ‘em both. Let them battle it out. We’re need a qb room full of alpha dawgs. It will all work itself out. Ones a polished runner and ones a polished passer, platoon them and rock everyone’s ass each week. Kirby always mentions the weekly gameplan tailored for each opponent.