Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football winners and losers following win over Mississippi State

SystemSystem Posts: 10,439 admin
edited November 2020 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football winners and losers following win over Mississippi State

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. Georgia football winners and losers following win over Mississippi State Winner: JT Daniels What more needs to

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    bull68dawgbull68dawg Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So CKS looked around at other QB options after Bennett struggled at Alabama and he decided that Stetson was still the best option? He knows that makes him sound ****, right? Don’t think this was handled properly

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oh come on, you can do better than this.

It was the JT Daniels show and the truth is that if he didn't play, we get our BUTTS BEAT. You think Bennett or Mathis would've been able to make 3 consecutive deep passes to the end zone when the receivers dropped 2 of them? Heck no.

We were supposed to win by 25 points with MAYBE JT playing and MAYBE him having an "average" game. The line would've been probably 35+ had you factored in a 400 yard game by Daniels.

Georgia had some major failures with the OL and beyond.

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 2020

We don’t know how Daniels looked at that point. And Kirby said it as clearly this week as he has all season: Monken’s opinion matters a lot. I wanted to beat Fla. as much as anyone, but it didn’t happen. Anyone who thinks that JT would have come in to save the day in Jacksonville is dreaming. And if he struggled/failed in his first outing, it would have thrown our entire offensive identity into an even bigger crisis. I mean, seriously, do you really think the coaches — including an NFL-caliber OC — decided to ignore their best chance to win the most important game of the regular season, especially when D’wan struggled?

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Looking for conspiracy theories where there are none to be found.

It's real simple. JT didn't get the start before the MS game because the coaching staff was protecting him from re-injuring his knee.

If he would've started the Florida game, the conspiracy narrative would've been, Smart rushing Daniels into service with no regard for his health or his future.

Kirby and his staff did the right thing by making sure JT was healed enough. Or, that's what they tried to do.

Even with that, I noticed JT had a slight limp late in the game.

• Options
    DawgByteDawgByte Posts: 416 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

For those questioning why JTD didn't play sooner please read MG's newly released article on what Steve Daniels said about the readiness of his son.

Conspiracy theory smashed!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We have 2 players STARTING in the NFL at OL as rookies that were with us last year and the O-Line wasn't that good last year. The individual talent seems to be there but they get their collective butts kicked too often for the amount of individual talent we have. It happened under Pittman and it's happening under Luke.

Of course putting 7 in the box freed up Air-Daniels.

• Options

JT's dad admitted JT didn't have it back in summer camp. HIs arm strength wasn't there and his mobility. That said, that was August, this is a week away from December. JT didn't regain form last week or even the week before. To some degree this is still on Kirby.

Kirby looked at all the QB's and decided Dwan Mathis was the best choice to be his starter. That lasted less than a half of one game. In comes Bennet and plays light years better. Back to the drawing board.

We were probably never going to beat FLA because we couldn't figure out how to cover a wheel route, but we were still technically in the game with about 4 minutes left.

I happen to believe that if JT had come in when Stetson went down, the whole tenor of that game might have changed. There were open guys running free and we didn't have a QB who could get it to them. See what I'm saying?

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2020

Ok, fair enough. It was a flawed performance. But let's look at the bigger picture - the defense and ground game have always been Georgia's bread and butter under Smart. We've seen what Georgia's prospects look like when those two elements are on point without a reliable passing game to support them. It isn't pretty, and it's what's been holding this team back for the last season and a half. Now, all indications are we have a solid passing game. (I won't say elite yet because it was only one game, but judging by the strength and accuracy of those throws and the young talent at the receiver position, we may very well be on the path to being able to say that.) The hard part has been addressed; now it's just a matter of the team getting back to what it's always done best, and is still built to do. I don't see any reason to think the defense and running game will be down for long, and once they get back on track, the sky's the limit.

• Options

Great moment for Rodrigo!!!

• Options
    jarisitjarisit Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

Here's the problem with the O-Line. The right side with Cleveland and McClendon are good, they seem to be the only guys who get to the 2nd level on blocks. The left side including center Hill, Shaffer, and Salyer are too slow and too fat!! They can't move, Hill was pushed into the backfield on several plays, he doesn't move his feet. Does any NFL line look like that, NO, NFL lineman are big and strong but they can move their feet. All 3 of those guys need to lose some weight. But it may be time to have some other faster/quicker lineman get some playing time, find the right combination.

• Options
    GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

I know Bobo is in SC but are we sure he was not calling those predictable straight up the middle runs. Or is that call taped up in the coaches box? That must be it!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Shaffer was just horrid. He got whipped on nearly every running play. Hill wasn't much better. Didn't really notice Salyer that much. But none of them were good, it's just that maybe Cleveland and McClendon didn't stink quite as much as the rest of the line. Kirby says he needs to watch the film to see how bad it really was, but I will suggest he won't have to watch very much. The O-Line was horrible just about all game long. They could never figure it out and while I think MS probably has a decent defensive line, there is no way they should have handled UGA like it did, even it put all 11 guys in the box.

• Options
    randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby has lost a lot of confidence from UGA fans and deservedly so. Much of it because of his horrible management of the press and trying to be cute and coy. Whether JT was ready or not and whether Kirby was trying to protect him....just come out and say so. If you made an error judgment then just say so. Fans don't trust Kirby now because of his own lack of communication. It's clear to me from Saturday that JT could have played against FL. I think we win that game with him at QB. But I also understand Kirby wanting to protect him. We can debate the decision, but I just want him to be honest. He's losing Dawgnation. Winning will help him get back in our favors but for the moment, the shine has been lost with Kirby.

• Options
    randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited November 2020

The bigger problem is no one trusts Kirby anymore. Everyone makes mistakes. Kirby has made some big ones. But his silence and sometimes outright deception is not acceptable. And his fan support is now evidence of that. Clean up your communication Kirby...if you don't you won't get much more grace from UGA fans. That means if you don't win big....then you're end story at UGA won't be pretty.

• Options
    Bigjohnson92Bigjohnson92 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Without the top shelf recruiting, Kirby in all honesty IS Muschamp and Pruitt. No one should confuse him with a gameday coaching legend who is an X’s and O’s guru.

• Options
    Bigjohnson92Bigjohnson92 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Then why no brace? His knee just got magically better last week and now it’s 100%? Trask has worn one every game, so has Franks and several others. If papa Daniels was so concerned then why not brace the kids knee up for the game?