Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart details what Georgia's running game needs to get back on track

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited November 2020 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart details what Georgia's running game needs to get back on track

As great as JT Daniels was on Saturday night, the Georgia rushing performance was worse. The Bulldogs had just eight rushing yards on 23 carries, with sacks and kneel-downs factored in. While Daniels became the first 400-yard passer for Georgia since Aaron Murray did it in 2013, the rushing total was the lowest it

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’ve got nothing against the black jerseys, but can we retire the notion that wearing them gives the team a boost in energy or motivation or “juice” or whatever you want to call it?

I’d argue, based on past results, that wearing them leads us to be flat. When UGA wore black helmets in 2009 against UF, a Gator player called it “fake juice”, and he was exactly right.

I’m glad we won Saturday, but the victory was eerily similar to the way Richt’s teams often sleep-walked against lesser opponents. The black jerseys only made this feeling more striking.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA..you keep allowing JT to be sacked and you won't have JT!!! His knee...healed yes, but vulnerable. They got to him thrice....not good! Miss State looked superior to UGA. They looked like UGA used to look. I am not going on another rant. I do not know if Smart is capable of fixing this? There is something wrong with UGA coaching right now. They had TWO WEEKS to prep for that game and looked terrible. JT cannot carry the remainder of the season....can he? Maybe. He says he can. Fantastic. I am good with that. GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've always said it's a really bad idea to attach any motivational significance to the black jerseys. That whole talking point is a huge pet peeve of mine. I love the black jerseys and want to see a lot more of them. Our colors are red and black, and there is very little black in the traditional red-jersey uniform. I think it would make for a very worthwhile tradition to find a way to permanently incorporate the black jerseys. What I propose is pre-determining the scenario in which they'll be worn going forward and that it be announced in the off-season what that scenario will be. I would suggest any home game for which the kickoff is after sundown. Always. It'll never have anything to do with any specific opponent, and it'll never be mistaken for any kind of cheesy motivational ploy because it's simply following a tradition. But we have to stick with it. If we throw our hands up and say no more black jerseys just because we lost a game in them, it'll never work. Given time, we'll win most games in them, and occasionally lose some - just like we do in the red and white jerseys. And in the process, we'll add a great tradition to the program.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There is no excuse for Georgia not running it better than they did Saturday night. But I don't think it's going to become a trend.

With GA's QB INT's and and rest, coming into the game, MS did the logical thing by committing extra players into the box to stop the run at all cost. It makes sense because what were the odds that the new QB would be able to do it on his own without any run support.

I doubt we'll see another team commit so strongly to stopping the run and staying in man coverage so much as long as JT is behind center.

• Options

THANK YOU. It was overall a poor performance but good grief. Judging by most of the reactions you'd think the run game (and defense for that matter) packed up and left town for good.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Our running game will return...no doubt...It should...I hope....just a blip on the screen.

Bama had over 200 yards rushing against this same State team 3 weeks ago...just sayin'.

• Options
    IowadawgfanIowadawgfan Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore

Our run game should improve drastically now that the defense actually has to play us straight up .. nobody was afraid of our qbs so all the defenses we played were geared to stopping the run .. if jet continues to play lights out and our receivers actually catch the ball the run game and protections will all fix itself

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I go all the way back to what @VenomGA said at the beginning of this thread -- why can't UGA just be consistent like the other perennial top teams in the country? With us, it's ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS something. Yet 'Bama, Ohio State, Clemsom come back year after year after year and lose none or maybe one game each year. I don't know a lot about football, but I just don't believe the cure to our running game woes is simply for JT (or whoever the QB is) to hit more passes. Kirby is the one who has CONSISTENTLY SAID that to win in the SEC you've got to be able to run the ball when the other team KNOWS you're going to run it. We got more yards running with Bennett at QB and everybody on the planet knew he wasn't a threat to air it out. At Georgia, if they put 11 guys in the box, we should still gain more than 8 friggin yards.

As for the black jerseys, I Iike them. I think we should wear them whenever. They should be a part of our standard home jersey rotation. It shouldn't be a special game or designated game. They should just be another option and we wear them -- or not -- at the coach's sole discretion. We could wear them for EVERY game if that's what we decide to do. Or we could go five years without wearing them and then boom, we just up and wear them. I don't know why an announcement has to be made about wearing one of your school's primary colors. It's not like we plan to come out in silver or gold jerseys. Personally, I'd like to see us in black jerseys with red pants (you know, there goes the Red and Black), but hey, whatever. In the words of the immortal Al Davis, "just win, baby." Go Dawgs!

• Options
    edited November 2020

The point in choosing a specific scenario in which they'll always be worn and announcing it at a time when no games are upcoming would be to put to rest this notion that the black jerseys are broken out for special occasions. It seems a lot of people are stuck on the idea that they're used to generate energy, buzz, juice, whatever, which leads to overreaction and misplaced blame if/when we lose in them. It's why we didn't see them for almost a decade after the Bama game in 08. I totally agree that the black jerseys should be just another option, but to get to that point we first must dispel any notion of using them to get a better performance out of the team. If they're incorporated in a way that makes it clear that they're not being used for any such purpose, it gives the whole idea of black jerseys a much better chance of sticking around as a permanent fixture in UGA tradition.

• Options
    BassDawgBassDawg Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

True about getting the ground game going and also protecting the QB better. Everyone will be gearing up for us now that we have a passing attack but now we can really mix it up and it will be more on the play calling to outSMART the other team!!!!

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The OLine couldn't have blocked their way out of a wet paper sack Saturday night. 8 yards rushing for the game, and you want to call yourself RBU, and three sacks on a QB with a gimpy knee. Look for SC to pull out all the stops Saturday, to prove to the Dawgs what they did last year, they can do again.