Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart: 'Verdict still out' on how pivotal JT Daniels' 400-yard game was for offense

2»

Comments

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 2020

Again, Smart is looking for the "Practice team National Championship". I'm so glad all our QBs are so great in practice. It doesn't matter that they don't deliver in a real game, as long as they are good in practice against the 2's, all is well.

Normally I would say there is no way JT gets relieved but at this point, I fully expect it. I would hate to be Beck. That poor kid will never see the field. Other than practice, of course.

• Options
    GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Once again, the problem with UGA in 2020 is not because of lack of talent on either side of the ball at any position...

• Options
    LowcountryLowcountry Posts: 104 ✭✭✭ Junior

Im glad that Kirby has all of you guys to consult about how to properly run a football program. Not sure where he would be without your expertise! You guys sound like a bunch of spoiled children with learning disabilities.

• Options
    randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

Glad you're a die-hard Dawg fan....no doubt we are all one too. However, if you turn a blind eye to Kirby's questionable decision-making and his obvious PR and messaging blunders then you need to step back and re-evaluate. No one is suggesting firing Kirby, but given the circumstances and frankly his supposed stubbornness to learn from his mistakes, criticism and doubt are warranted. Expectations from this talent-rich and facilities-rich program should be sky high and Kirby should be held to them. Otherwise UGA will never be mentioned in the same conversation as AL, Clemson and OSU....and we should be!!

• Options
    BassDawgBassDawg Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

"we have to find ways to run the ball more". You know how you do that? You pass the ball all over the field and spread the defense out so they don't stuff the box and now your RB's have some room to run. Geeesh Kirby just pass the ball if you have a guy that is accurate. And protect that QB at all costs!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I knew if I kept scrolling I'd find at least one level-headed comment.

• Options

“You guys have asked if we have confidence throwing it, and yeah. I’ve seen those same plays. I’d seen Stetson [Bennett] and D’wan [Mathis] make some of those plays against us in practice, so I knew it was there.”

He was generally referring to passing plays being there to be made. How you choose to interpret the mention of Bennett and Mathis is up to you, but it makes sense that he would mention them since they'd been getting the first and second team reps while Daniels' knee healed, and his point was that the offense has generally been creating those opportunities all along. The line about Mathis and Bennet being just as likely to have completed those passes in the actual game came from Griffith, not Smart. I haven't watched the whole press conference, but if Smart actually said that, the quote should have been included.

The rest is coachspeak, commenting on ways that the team still needs to improve. He also complimented Daniels multiple times and, according to Griffith, did credit Daniels as the main reason that opportunities were being converted into completions in this game. Not sure why so many are so outraged over some generic comments made by a coach in a presser.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think the jury is still out on CKS, I don't think it has found him guilty of not being able to coach us to a NC , as of yet, but right now, the evidence being presented against him doesn't pass the smell or eye test.

I see we have players being drafted regularly, the talent seems to be here, we certainly recruit on par if not better than all but 1 or 2 teams if that. But there is a disconnect in how UGA plays against comparably talented teams.

We were never going to beat LSU last season, but we got picked apart, when we supposedly had a great defense, it wasn't even a game, same way with BAMA, and FLA this year. A squeaker against Miss St? Prevent defense? Seriously, and we supposedly have DB's that are going to go high in the draft? LB's can't cover the wheel route? Come on man. The loss to SC last year.

We play most of the teams that BAMA has a cake walk against and we make it a 4 quarter game?

Can't identify your best QB? Dwan Mathis was your opening game starter? Seriously? When Stetson got hurt in the Fla game your best option was Dwan? That was 2 weeks ago, unless JT went to a healing revival just before Miss St. he was able to come in and play that game. You didn't give him the opportunity , you STILL thought Dwan was your best option?

As I have said several times on the forum, just roll JT's tape. Forget who is a world beater in practice when you can't tackle the QB. The guy hasn't forgotten how to throw a football.

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You quoted him yourself. "I’d seen Stetson [Bennett] and D’wan [Mathis] make some of those plays against us in practice." But if you're suggesting Mike just made up what Kirby said, that's between you and Mike; I'm not ready to go conspiracy theory on a DawgNation professional.

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Sorry, but Kirby is a total asshat. Rather than celebrate, he's putting some cynical crap out.

The truth is that the jury is still out on Kirby.

• Options
    edited November 2020

Yes, I quoted Smart's comment that he still had/has confidence in the passing game because he "knew it was there." That can easily be interpreted as a general assessment of the passing game which includes watching Bennett and Mathis complete passes "in practice." I did not quote Smart as making any sort of comment that he would have expected Bennett or Mathis to be just as effective as Daniels against MSU because no such quote was provided in the article. Mike Griffith said that; this is where I reiterate that if Smart actually did say that, the quote should have been provided in the article. Instead, Griffith followed up that specific synopsis with the quote about those two quarterbacks hitting guys in practice and generally having faith in the team's ability to get the passing offense going, implying that that was Griffith's basis for the conclusion that he presented. It comes across as presumptuous - or maybe just poorly worded - commentary, and seems to be the primary contributing factor to the prevailing sentiment below that Smart is simply clueless about his quarterbacks. Again, just going by what's in the article, Smart didn't specifically comment one way or the other about the other quarterbacks' ability/inability to consistently hit open receivers in games. That's probably because it didn't need to be said at this point; everybody knows that's been an issue.

All this being said, if someone can point me to Smart actually indicating in some way that he really is oblivious to the 30% (or whatever) completion rate against Florida and the turnover tendencies displayed by Bennett and Mathis, and that he's still not sure if Daniels is a better option after what we saw on Saturday, I'll be happy (well, maybe not HAPPY) to adjust my perspective appropriately. But I have to say I'm doubtful that it's lost on him that our quarterback play went from worst to first (in the nation) from one game to the next. There certainly isn't any support for that in anything he's quoted as saying in the article above.

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm tired of KS's excuses. He is shovelling some serious bull about JT's success, making it sound like Stet or D'wan could have done the exact same thing, that it was just some kind of luck that JT did as well. Well, they HAVEN'T. The only reason you're laying that on is because it's easier than saying "I screwed up and put Rudy in, when JT was ready and able." Come on, coach. How about let's try honesty, for a while. You're not a very good liar.

• Options
    Kdubb0211Kdubb0211 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m done, I’ll gladly eat crow if I’m wrong but Kirby Smart will never win anything of note at UGA. These are ridiculous asinine comments, you seen the plays being made in practice but for 6 games not a single performance like JTs in a game. My hope is gone, we’re not winning a natty with Kirby.

• Options
    IowadawgfanIowadawgfan Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore

Wow cks way to give your qb your backing .. holy crisp this guy

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The quote from CKS this week is "“As far as transformation or anything like that, I don’t know. We have to find ways to run the ball, and that’s probably the most important thing to me so we can be explosive in both ways.” Why not get your 300 pounders to block and run to the outside rather than off-guard. We've got very fast players who can get to the outside. I've seen 'em do it. Daniels is worthy of some praise. He has thrown the ball wonderfully in the only game you were forced to allow him to play, despite allowing him to be sacked 3 times by a 2-5 team. I wonder what's going on in Kirby's mind ...