Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Game day suggestions???

bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My wife is going with me to her first game tomorrow.
She isn't really a sports fan, but has always wanted to go.
We have 3 kids under 6 that are not coming with us.
Besides that fact(lol) what would y'all suggest I do to make it more enjoyable for her?
More games she goes to, more I get to go to.
Plus, I want her to see why this is a passion of mine.

Comments

• Options
    shhmittyshhmitty Posts: 284 ✭✭✭ Junior

As stated before participate in the Dawg walk, this will help her relate to the players she will be watching...gives her someone to cheer on. This is my son during his first Dawg walk, up until that point he had only seen the players on TV, so to watch his face as these giants walked by and gave him high fives helped him relate to the players and he has enjoyed the games a lot more.

• Options
    BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dawg walk is definately a must.....

• Options
    SavageDawg17SavageDawg17 Posts: 1,535 mod

@BamaDawg said:
    Dawg walk is definately a must.....

One word of warning if you decide to go - the Dawg Walk is going to be about 100 yards shorter now due to the West End zone construction. Kirby says it starts at 4PM, so I would recommend getting in place by 3PM at the latest.

• Options
    TheOneKnownasBrianTheOneKnownasBrian Posts: 105 ✭✭✭ Junior

One caveat: Make sure she's comfortable!

If she doesn't like the heat then standing out in the sun for an hour waiting for the Dawg walk may not be memorable to her for the right reasons. Especially if she doesn't know who the players are.

How is she with crowds? Keep that in mind as you decide where all you take her.

There is a ton to see and do on game day. And some great suggestions on here. Keep some of them in your back pocket. If she comes back to more games (which obviously she will, it's UGA after all) you will want to have more new things for her to experience.

HTH!

• Options
    shhmittyshhmitty Posts: 284 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Denmen185 said:

@shhmitty said:
    As stated before participate in the Dawg walk, this will help her relate to the players she will be watching...gives her someone to cheer on. This is my son during his first Dawg walk, up until that point he had only seen the players on TV, so to watch his face as these giants walked by and gave him high fives helped him relate to the players and he has enjoyed the games a lot more.

IMPORTANT If you do this keep eyes off cheerleaders or at minimum wear sunglasses! :D

Yeeessss! I forgot to mention that little tidbit, thanks for backup the Denman, we need her to WANT to come back.

• Options

I'm hoping she will get chills from the lone trumpeter in the Southwest corner of Sanford...

• Options
    CFPTitle_DawgCFPTitle_Dawg Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited September 2017

There are many small things that can add to her time there (I am so fortunate - my wife is almost a bigger fan than me though!) What area are your seats?

If you are making a whole day of it and food adds to it, you could take her to a late lunch place like Mama's Boy (busy, but great southern food) or go to Ted's downtown for not too expensive nice casual food. Might be too crowded, though.

Guessing that by 3-4 PM there will be some shaded areas for the Dawg Walk. If it's hot, you could hang in the nice cool Tate student building (which also has good restrooms) and go out closer to 4 - not as close but could still see it all, and getting too hot will likely kill her experience.

Also if she is a souvenir type, getting her a nice something in the bookstore ought to seal some good memories.

I would also get parking figured out if not already done.

• Options

We will be sitting on the south side, so not to much sun and it is covered.
    We are going with some of our best friends so that will help.

We may go to grind house because she loves turkey burgers and their milkshakes are the best. I may take her to Chophouse... but i don't want to put her in a food-coma before the game.

My friend has a parking pass, so that helps.

We go to church on the east-side even though we live in Greensboro so we are pretty familiar with the area... until you experience the roars of the crowd and the traditions, you can't expect someone to understand the passion... it just gets in your blood.

• Options

Speaking of experiencing it, you may have done this before - If you are on the lower level, then going in through the end zone gate and taking someone around the track surrounding the hedges is a pretty awesome experience. Everything seems so intense down there, looking on the field and up the stands. If you also go in front of the band and students on the north side, it is fun to watch with all their energy close to game time.

• Options
  • Options

@CFPTitle_Dawg said:
    @bmauldin , how did it go?

She loved it.
    Said she can see why I like uga football so much.

Went to grind house. Met up with some friends at a tailgate. Introduced her to one of the players parents during the game.

Said game was way better in person.

Thank y'all for the suggestions.