Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

No grudges, Mark Richt responds to Greg McGarity's recall of 2015 Georgia football firing

SystemSystem Posts: 11,080 admin
edited December 2020 in Article commenting
imageNo grudges, Mark Richt responds to Greg McGarity's recall of 2015 Georgia football firing

It has been 5 years and Greg McGarity still speaks with pain in his voice when recalling how he fired Mark Richt, but the former UGA head coach says he holds no grudges

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not sure why everyone is so upset. Richt is indeed an amazing guy, a solid recruiter and a decent coach. He got to the point, though, where his focus wasn't on "winning" but instead on "doing things the right way". While that's respectable for a human being, it's not why we spend millions on our football coaches. We want someone who thinks about winning and does everything he can to win.

We gave him 15 years and he he did lots of things for the University, but the pattern was clear. Smart is giving us our 4th straight Top 10 finish. Richt had us unranked 5 times in the past 10 years and only 4 times in the Top 10 those years.

We love Richt, but no one should have to apologize for ONLY giving him 15 years.

• flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 599 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA honored a voidable contract for winning the BELK BOWL that included a raise and extension that Richt let set on his desk for almost a year without bothering to sign. That gave him hundreds of thousands of reasons to have “no grudges”!

Ho hum. Much ado about nothing!

• SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Right time, Right man, great results. UGA would not be in the position it is today, without CMR. Do I wish he would've won a Natty, yep, your darn right I do! But he was able to elevate our program to new heights, I am always going to be grateful for what he provided us.

Thank God we had Coach Richt, lets not forget what the program looked like before he got here. A good ole "Georgia" boy (46-31) and someone who was a little less descriptive of his money earning scheme (40-19)..........1 SEC east title and I believe it was a tie???

Coach Richt was (145-51) and won 5, but 2008 might be his biggest miss, preseason #1 and loaded with all the right players, NFL bound in almost every spot.......Kabooom losses to Alabama, Florida and even TECH ending outside the top 15!

I appreciate the man and thank him for the huge turn around in our program, Coach Smart, it is your turn now, just don't lose to Tech and we will be fine......wait until next year! Dang it, now I am saying it.

• rchrisrchris Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

From 2001-2005 Richt was 52-13. In the Power 5, only Texas, Miami, and Oklahoma did better over that time period. He also won 2 SEC championships. From 2016-2020, assuming he beats Vandy and wins his bowl game, Smart will be 52-14. Beating him in wins during that time period will be Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, and Oklahoma. He has won 1 SEC championship. Thus far, the careers of the two coaches are comparable. Hopefully, Smart can keep his team at a high level in the coming years and become clearly the better coach.

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

OK I only did a quick speed read on this. But I will always have fond memories of Coach Richt. No he didn’t win a Natty. But he did get to and win two SEC Championship games early in his tenure. We will never know but maybe under the current scenario (Committee) he could have got us a Natty had it been that scenario. Also I don’t think he got the financial support (Bot his salary) that Kirby has gotten with ALL due respect to Kirby as Kirby has done a remarkable job. But I remember Richt offering to pay his coaching staff raises out of his own money !! That shouldn’t have been that way. And him practically begging for an Indoor Practice Facility long before UGA finally committed to actually doing it. Also I remember him and his family selling their second vacation home and according to him and family donating the proceeds to tornado victims in Alabama and Georgia. In my humble opinion Richt in his best years was a Very Good but not Great Coach. He just couldn’t seal the deal and win a Natty. Then over time his recruiting efforts began to drop (though he still got some great guys along the way) off along with his coaching and well y’all know the rest of the story. He was very good for UGA though on and off the field for a time so I’m grateful to him for that. But glad Kirby is here. Now come on Kirby and get us that Natty in 2021 !! Go Dawgs !!

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Correction Not his salary. Forgive the Bot please lol .

• PythonPython Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

One thing I find funny...The Richt people will tell you that he took over a program that was a total mess.......That is simply not true. Coach Donnan coached the Dawgs for 5 years. His first year he was 5-6. The next 4 years he was 35-13, never finished outside of the top 20 and never lost a bowl game.

Richt's best year was 2001...This was mainly with the players that Donnan recruited.

Donnan was an average to good coach. I did not see a lot of difference between him and Richt other then Richt was a better recruiter

• SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I get it, I do.....I am not an 8-4 kind of guy and I believe rivalry games are significant! Florida, Tennessee, Auburn and Tech, have been and will always be the benchmark for UGA. Maybe you agree with that or maybe not, but he went 6-14 against them during his time at UGA and he lost 3 times in a row to Tech. So, yeah I am going to say that IMO the program was at best, OK.

We have been chasing the early 80's for a long time, but I am not OK with just OK. Just my take, but I could be wrong! Coach Richt made a difference and we are still seeing that today and he never got his indoor practice facility!

• khummelkhummel Posts: 903 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2020

I might be taking exception to your "do everything you can to win" emphasis, especially when juxtaposed against your earlier comments that could be misinterpreted that "doing things the right way" and "wining" are at odds. I'm sure you agree that we pay millions of dollars to leaders of our student athletes to do both, simultaneously, at a very high level. Whether Richt did or did not do that sufficiently throughout his tenure might be debated, but we certainly expect no less of Smart. In this day and age where the ends seem justified by any means, we've got to embrace the fact that one can accomplish amazing things, and do so squarely on the high road. Go dawgs!