Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Jermaine Johnson transferring again, leaving Georgia leadership opportunity for more snaps

SystemSystem Posts: 10,499 admin
edited December 2020 in Article commenting
imageJermaine Johnson transferring again, leaving Georgia leadership opportunity for more snaps

Georgia coach Kirby Smart talks about football being a team sport and players needing to accept roles, but Jermaine Johnson wants more snaps than he is getting so he's leaving the Bulldogs

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Best of luck young man. But what happens when you transfer and possibly see the field even less than you did at UGA? A possibility, unless you transfer to florida or a FCS School..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    vannvann Posts: 108 ✭✭✭ Junior

I hate to see a great player leave. I thought he was having a great year and I was expecting him to be a stand out for us next year. Maybe he'll have a change of heart. Best of luck and thanks for all you did for UGA. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bummer, I hope he changes his mind. He’s a great Dawg and we will miss him big time!!! Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've wondered myself about the way Kirby rotates guys in and out if that wasn't why we haven't really developed that monster sack type of individual. Roquan was an every down type of guy because of his speed and the position, but when you have guys 3 -4 deep at one position, they only get so many opportunities a game , then you aren't going to have impressive numbers.

Now I'm sure the astute NFL talent evaluators can see past the limited number of reps and therefore stats, but I'm not sure a young athlete can feel good about himself without having the numbers. If I have 12 sacks my senior year going into the draft then I certainly feel much better about my chances than if I had 6 and hoped someone understood I was underutilized.

We may be running back U but I doubt we ever produce a Heisman RB because there will always be someone at another school who gets a boatload of carries.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Well, I understand the "film" part, but he also has to understand wear and tear. So that part makes zero sense. So yeah, go ahead and go somewhere else to play every down. Then you will definitely get passed over for "the league". OLBs are like RBs this day in time with spread offenses. They're used, but not like how they used to be. I hope he does change his mind, but need a better reason than that.

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't understand the constant rotation either. As pass rushers in a league that passes as much as the SEC does now, he and Azeez should only come off the field when they're tired. Constant rotation may keep pass rushers fresh but it may also keep them out of rhythm. Why rotate your difference makers just for the sake of rotating them? Keep them on the field at least 75% of the time.

• Options
    10DAWG10DAWG Posts: 254 ✭✭✭ Junior

Wow, not sure that's in his best interest, but if he feels like he can improve his stock elsewhere, more power to him.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

But... didn't he play quite a bit? This doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Georgia has so many guys no one gets a chance to get hot. Where is #, 19 and #4 both 5 stars?.. Recruit the wr position like we do defense

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

1SicemDawgs1- your post leads me to believe he's already been assured he's at the top of the depth chart at his new school and the transfer portal is just the process. I think he already knows where he's going. Publicly Coaches and Recruiters say you have to compete for playing time and I believe that's true for most players. I do not believe it's true for all. This kid has had big time impact with limited snaps. I can't imagine him going somewhere else to "compete". But what do I know? I'm an insurance man not a coach or recruiter.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Welp, didn't see that coming. I'm sure wherever he goes, it will be with the stipulation that he gets the lion's share of the snaps; not much sense in transferring a second time - away from a program like Georgia - if you don't have some such assurance.

I'm personally not a big fan of the constant rotation either, but it comes from a very superficial viewer's perspective. I'm sure there's an intelligent debate on its pros and cons to be had. And I'm sure Smart has his reasons, so to me, the "for no reason" remark comes across as kind of snide.

• Options
    LowcountryLowcountry Posts: 104 ✭✭✭ Junior

Seems like this kid's dad has some personal issues with CKS. Saw some screenshots of some comments that he made on Facebook that indicates poison in the well. I'm pretty certain that the father is driving this bs... I mean bus.

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 478 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Jay Johnson's quote "You can’t get to the league without film, and the constant rotation for no reason, that’s not going to do it.”

It looks like dad wants his son to get rich enough to buy cars and houses for the family. Hope he stays injury free for 2021.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree, his dad seems to have some bad blood with UGA. He was doing well here...probably not as many snaps as he would like..and that is a personal thing. Hey, it's part of playing college football. They transfer in and out for sometimes no substantive reason. I wish him well and more snaps wherever he lands. UGA has depth.

You will see more of this....!

• Options
    EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The constant rotation is not good for rhythm. Some guys should never come out unless they're tired. But at the same time alot guys get to play. Double edged sword

• Options
    GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

I wonder if programs like OSU, Clemson, Alabama have the same amount of players opting out into the transfer portal? We seem to have had alot over the past several years.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think it's a consequence of recruiting at the same or a better level than those programs without having a recent national title to point to. If/when we get over that hump, I'd expect the transfer numbers to wane (though will never drop to zero).

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That's a very good possibility, senseless to transfer during the early signing period when most schools sign the majority of their recruits now. Unless, as you stated, he has been almost guaranteed a starting spot on a different team.

• Options
    BoydCrowderBoydCrowder Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think the young man is getting some bad advice.