Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football winners and losers from 2021 recruiting class

SystemSystem Posts: 10,453 admin
edited December 2020 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football winners and losers from 2021 recruiting class

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more.  Georgia football winners and losers following 2021 Early Signing Period Winner: Kirby Smart recruiting the

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good and informative article. Great summary of the state of our next class. Thanks.

Interesting editorial tagged on towards the end. Probably correct, too, in my opinion, but, hey, at least we're in that top elite group (and Florida isn't).

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good article and I’m happy with this class. I just wish we could have gotten Maason Smith, but it’s tough to pry a Louisiana kid away from LSU. Hopefully we will be able to land a few more top players in January or we will likely finish with the #4 or #5 ranked class. LSU is about a tenth of a point behind us and they are the favorite for about 3-4 unsigned recruits. Also, keep an eye on Texas A&M. It looks like they are listed as the “crystal ball” favorite for 5-6 of the remaining recruits so they may jump into the top 5 recruiting classes. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Looks like they saved a spot for Arik Gilbert to join the team. Won't change the recruiting rankings but will help the offense.

On a side note, I am sorry to bring this up, but who is editing these articles? There are typos and misspellings all over the place. Isn't this supposed to be a professional operation? I realize this is ad supported and we aren't paying for the content, but show some pride in your work. End of sermon.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA to JAckson St.? OK

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    ChopperChopper Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

yep. Someone writing these stories should stop using speak to type and buy a keyboard, and then read it after. Not hard to do.

• Options
    BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

I only have three words for the grammar. Even writing this I had to correct it several times:

Google..."ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE"

Appropriately monikered. Don't be too quick to cast blame on the journalist or editor. It's nearly impossible to prevent errors with this crap.

• Options
    DawgSonOfGamecockDawgSonOfGamecock Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

Probably because my heart has been ripped out after so many blown leads to Alabama, it's hard not to be a bit concerned and see this class as half-full. Obviously it's a great class overall regardless of what happens between now and February, but we're not keeping up with Alabama, the team that will most likely take home the season championship in addition to this latest off-season recruiting haul. *12* of the top 100? Jeez. What's more is they obviously get more out of their players. As Griffith accurately pointed out yesterday, there's been a disturbing trend under Smart of players leaving early and settling for lower round draft selections, when they get them. Alabama and Clemson seem to keep players longer who come back for their senior years, contribute toward another title run (to include actually making the CFP), *and* improving their draft status. Clearly, Andrew Thomas made the right call, and to be fair, LeCounte certainly doesn't fit that narrative. We need more guys like him for sure, and hopefully the newest Dawgs will help usher in more loyalty to the G... and win a championship in the process. Lots of hopes are pinned to these highly ranked recruiting classes, perhaps moreso this one now that Coach Smart finally appears willing to open up the offense. Other teams are able to put it together for the CFP every year. Smart said after the natty loss that we weren't going anywhere, yet we haven't been back to the CFP since. What's holding us back?

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 825 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If we can't cover and tackle in the secondary with the stable of DB studs we have (regardless of who's leaving, and who's playing what position), then there's something seriously wrong with this picture. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

I couldn't agree more that the playoff is awful for the sport. And, those who say that expanding the playoff is the solution are the same ones who sold us the playoff in the first place.

Despite its flaws, the BCS was pretty good. It only had to really determine the difference between the #2 and #3 best teams - the gap between, of course, is larger and more obvious than, say, the gap between #8 and #9 of an expanded playoff. And, the BCS was legitimately winnable by any major program. The only practical discrimination was against non-Power 5 conferences. Now, there discrimination has expanded to all but about 7 teams. There is almost no reason - except for playing time - for any of the top players to go to any other school . . . and, thus, the consolidation at the top will only become greater.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love the playoff... but you're right in that college football seems to be getting worse in ways. This top heavy act will destroy it's popularity. Not sure how they can force parity though.

• Options
    maconexpressmaconexpress Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2020

Nice class but Brock Vandagriff to me is the most important piece of the puzzle in my opinion because a 5 star qb with elite escaping ability gives sec defenses fits but for so reason we haven't had a defensive player to emerged into that dominate player(since Roquan Smith) and losing Jermaine Johnson doesn't help . Did he have a good reason for leaving? Judge for yourself.

JERMAINE JOHNSON  Tackles 20  Loss 3 Sacks 7 (2 seasons)

Before Kirby was hired to replace Kevin Steele not one player got drafted in the first 2 rounds but when Kirby became the DC, 17 defensive players got drafted in the first 2 rounds:

1st ROUND:

2010 Rolando McClain LB(8) Kareem Jackson CB(20)

2011 Marcell Dareus DT(3) 

2012 Mark Barron S(7) Dre Kirkpatrick CB(17)

Dont'a Hightower   LB(25)

2013 Dee Milliner CB(9)

2014 C. J. Mosley LB(17) Ha Ha Clinton-Dix S(21)

2ND ROUND:

2010 Javier Arenas CB(50) Terrence Cody DT(57)

2012 Courtney Upshaw LB(35)

2015 Landon Collins S(33)

2016 Reggie Ragland LB(41) A'Shawn Robinson DT(46)

Jarran Reed DT(49) Cyrus Jones CB(60)

Since Kirby been @uga, only 2 defensive players got drafted in the first 2 rounds (Roquan Smith LB and Baker CB)

JERMAINE JOHNSON is concern about the rotation effecting his production. Take a look at the production of bama's former LBs who were drafted in the first 2 rounds coached by Kirby:

1st Round

Rolando McClain LB    Tackles 274 Loss 32 Sacks 8 (3 seasons)

Dont'a Hightower LB   Tackles 234 Loss 21   Sacks 5 (4 seasons)

C. J. Mosley LB       Tackles 317  Loss 23   Sacks 7 (4 seasons)

2nd Round

Courtney Upshaw LB   Tackles 141  Loss 37    Sacks 18 (4 seasons)

Reggie Ragland LB     Tackles 220  Loss 18    Sacks  4 (4 seasons)

Roquan Smith    Tackles 252  Loss 21   Sacks 7 (3 seasons)

JERMAINE JOHNSON  Tackles 20  Loss 3 Sacks 7 (2 seasons)

I don't believe he will come close to those stats but if he can get around 12 to 14 more sacks and 40 more tackles, it might increase his chance to get drafted in the first 3 rounds.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Part of the solution will be to expand the playoffs. These kids want to win championships. Expand the playoffs to eight teams and you will eventually see ten schools rather than five recruiting at a new benchmark "high-level."