Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart talks retention, Mel Kiper lists Bulldogs among top 10 at positions

SystemSystem Posts: 10,458 admin
edited December 2020 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart talks retention, Mel Kiper lists Bulldogs among top 10 at positions

Georgia football has the makings of a championship offense with JT Daniels expected to return for another season, particularly if key defensive players stay to become first-round picks

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think the offense will easily be top 3 -SEC.

Keeping those Juniors-Seniors on defense would be huge.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wonder if the refs called a hold on that Missou player in the picture. Nah, prolly missed it.

• Options
    natejawsnatejaws Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior

No way Jordan Davis isn't a top 10 interior DL. They don't make many humans that large and its exceedingly rare they have his strength and stamina. He is the most important player on defense because we can't replace him.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2020

I'd love to see Davis come back along with White, but I know White is probably gone. We've got plenty of talent on defense to make up any folks leaving their junior year. And we've got a plethora of excellent receivers which I LOVE seeing.

Why do many Bama juniors who are clearly draft prospects return for their Senior season? Easy answer: The players will only get better and compete with the best players in the college game if they come back for their senior year while improving their draft stock and $$. Is it a risk? Sure, the guys could get injured, but the benefits outweigh the risks at Bama. Bama's reputation as an 'NFL factory' is nothing to be taken lightly and is mostly a true statement. Saban's system of coaching, development, trust, and the bond he gets from players is rare. Players listen to Nick and his advice on whether or not to come back. Plus the guys know they've got a great chance to come back and play for yet ANOTHER National Championship. Wouldn't you come back? That mentality has fed on itself at Alabama and created a situation where Saban not only beats his competitors on the recruiting trail with a string of top-ranked classes but loses fewer players after their junior years, a double-whammy for programs trying to knock off the Crimson Tide. 

If the Dawgs can ever recreate Bama's formula for success we will be heading to the playoffs time and again.

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All I want for Christmas is Jordan, Azeez, and JT to return next yr!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Has Podlesny said he’s leaving? He’s been left off all the lists of returnees. I certainly hope he sticks around. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2020

Let’s all pray JT likes college and Athens enough to stick around another year. I think we may see an incredible number of players from around the country enter the transfer portal very soon. This is a huge opportunity because they can transfer and play next year without a waiver due to the NCAA ruling. Also, we may see some really good seniors decide to take advantage of not losing their final year of eligibility thanks to the NCAA. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BubbaBill you are exactly right! We’ve seen it already and I just hope we keep the damage to a minimum. Though most damage should be mitigated should some key players return. Because savages always wanna play with savages!

one thing I’m not understanding is Zeus to the NFL. I know he’s a RB, but at best I see him at a 5-7th round guy. Surely the risk has got to be worth the reward.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2020

Mike, Rochester had a season ending injury and has already said he will be returning.

• Options
    SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

i didn't see Zeus!!

He and Cook really need to come back - Davis is elite but what happened with the injury?

We need to "hold on for next year", this is as important as signing day!

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love the photo of an egregious hold by Missouri. That’s the only way anyone stops our DL. Shame the officiating is so poor.

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

JT Daniels will likely be back and wouldn't it be cool if a Cali Kid could be the QB to lead the Dawgs back to a Natty? It will probably be easier for him because he doesn't carry all the baggage of missed opportunities from seasons past.

He just showed up this year a total blank slate, not carrying the hopes and dreams of DawgNation around his neck like the chains of Jacob Marley in A Christmas Carol. (Like how I got the seasonal reference in there?) He is a real cool customer, just what we need.

Sometimes I felt like Fromm wanted it so bad for himself and the fans that he really felt the pressure of trying to be the savior of the Dawgs.

We also need to be strong up the middle. That is why if, if, if - both Jordan and Richard LeCounte came back, it would be huge for the Dawgs. Throw in Azeez Ojulari and we will be back in the SEC CG for sure and who knows from there.

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

As much as a QB means to an NFL franchise, I would be stunned if Daniels is considered a first round talent after starting 15 games. He's not proven himself yet and I doubt any GM would risk their careers on him right now. A GM just can't miss on a first round QB in a DEFINITE passing league which is what the NFL is now.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

These kids that are thinking about coming out early need some true wisdom on their side and not some money hungry settle for anything person encouraging them to take the money and run. They need to be shown where the breakdown in signing bonus happens and they need to know as a general consensus from multiple experts where their value lies and not some single so called expert blowing them up and over evaluating them.

They need to understand their potential upside in returning for another season, that is if they truly have any, and not have some coach blowing smoke because he needs more depth at their position.(Not saying anyone at UGA would do that) I don't know.

Some kids need to move on and some need another year to improve their draft position and in effect double or even triple their signing bonus. From the top to the bottom of the first round there is a significant drop, and then again after the second round.

A 1 million dollar signing bonus may seem like more money to a kid than he could ever spend, but a 3 million dollar bonus is 3 times better with exponential benefits. You can buy the house , the car, help momma, and still have enough to invest for a lifetime of financial security.

When my kids were little I would ask them if they wanted a 1 milkshake today or 2 tomorrow, you know which one they always chose. Kids and sometimes adults too are funny like that.