Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

REPORTS: Georgia team captain Monty Rice among Bulldogs opting out of bowl

SystemSystem Posts: 10,451 admin
edited December 2020 in Article commenting
imageREPORTS: Georgia team captain Monty Rice among Bulldogs opting out of bowl

Georgia middle linebacker Monty Rice continues a trend of Bulldogs' team captains opting out of New Year's Six bowl games, per published Rivals.com report

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It's a bummer for Vandy to opt out of playing in Athens. It's also a bummer for players to opt out of playing in any type of bowl game. UGA has invested thousands of dollars into each player to develop them into what they are.

• Options
    LowcountryLowcountry Posts: 104 ✭✭✭ Junior

I really, really hate this trend.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The opt-out trend is gaining momentum. I can see Rice wanting to maintain foot health...in a way. Big Ben and the others just following the new trend...a trend I do not approve of. Defense opting out because of poor performance? "There had been speculation that many of the Bulldogs’ defenders might not represent Georgia in the bowl game on the heels of a disappointing season:"...Griffith. Smart needs to crack down. Back in my day, I don't recall any opting out. College football is a team sport.....support the team through the bowl game....the reward for season's performance...for the team. First, UGA had to be prepared for the new rule allowing Juniors to leave early for the NFL, now opting out of the bowl game has become vogue.

If UGA defensive backs and linemen opt out, a team like Cincy could beat us going away....unless they too experienced a major "opt-out." I recall Deandre Baker opting out so he could go with the team and party with friends, etc., at the game. Smart put a stop to that. End of rant.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For teams that miss the playoffs, all bowl games become a practice game for the upcoming season. The fans may not feel this way, but many of the players certainly do!

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It would be great to get to see these players - starters play one last time.

The bright side, this will give their replacements the opportunity of all those extra practice reps and the in-game experience that they otherwise wouldn't have.

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I see this as a consequence of the college football playoff. It devalues bowl games to the point as someone said, it’s a practice game. Sure regret the way this season ended for these kids. Although I hope it wouldn’t have been the case, when I was a 20-21 year old man I can’t say that my reaction and choices would have been a lot different. Best of luck to all these dawgs in future opportunities and Go Dawgs to the ones who take the field on New Year’s Day.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 825 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2020

Downside to playing is obviously risk of serious injury that reduces draft stock... which would bigtime bite. Upside to playing is having a great game, thus solidifying if not improving your mid-round draft status... which Rice could certainly use. Maybe a tie-breaker is how much you love to play any game and/or desire to be with your guys for one last big one. I'm guessing the odds of a serious injury to a draft-eligible LB in a bowl game are quite low, probably less than 5%... several guys on the team will very likely get dinged up (LBs are statistically middle of the pack for position injury risk)... maybe 1 or 2 players get hurt seriously enough to impact next year's play, any of which might be not entering the draft anyway. Trying not to judge here from the couch, but putting all that on a scale, I'd like to think I'd be chomping at the bit to play. DGD in any case. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 825 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    Wozzo_the_Wonder_DogWozzo_the_Wonder_Dog Posts: 189 ✭✭✭ Junior

Better to opt out and not play than to pull a no-show in the game like the Sugar Bowl with Texas, I guess. UGA's fan attendance in the Sugar Bowl last year was, sadly, well below Baylor's. At least the Peach Bowl will be in Atlanta, and Covid-19 will force 25% capacity. Unless UGA is playing for a national championship, the bowl game is just going to be a way to start playing next year's starters from now on.

• Options
    SCDawgFanSCDawgFan Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

Wish they would do like Swift last year and stay with the team and only play in a limited capacity. (I realize he was injured, but so are some of the current opt outs) They could offer so much to the younger players during the game and still be able to stay with their team through the bowl. Looking forward to seeing the offense play one more time!! (Never would have thought I would say that back in Sept/Oct!)

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I have no problem with a SR skipping a bowl game to guard against an injury this close to his preparing for the NFL. This will give other players more playing and practice time. I do not think that once a guy opts out that he should be allowed access to the team and the facilities. The NCAA should not hold the teams accountable for those roster spots in Jan for opt out players.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Recall the Sugar Bowl last January..it gave UGA great momentum. Not just a practice game....did a lot for espirit de corps. The main ingredient: winning a competitive bowl. Bowl games are important. Kirby Smart was overjoyed with that win. However, to me. a win over Cincinnati ...not so much. Maybe that is playing into this opt-out leaning. Now, Clemson would be different...love a crack at them....but not with a depleted starting roster. Just an opinion.

• Options
    vannvann Posts: 108 ✭✭✭ Junior

I guess these players that are opting out feel they have given enough and it's time to start looking towards the future. I don't like it, but I understand it. Hopefully most of these guys will see the value in playing for UGA one more time and makes us proud at whatever bowl game we end up playing in. No mater who shows up, I'm going to be rooting for them and expect Kirby will have the team ready. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Non-playoff bowl games are, indeed, glorified scrimmages. Should be 8 team playoff- power 5 conference champs and 3 at-large bids. After this year, I think any player who opts out of even ONE game including a bowl "scrimmage" becomes immediately ineligible for ANY individual postseason awards - Butkus, Heisman, Doak Walker, Ray Guy, etc. Then people can talk all they want about what WOULD have been. "He should have won the Heisman, but he opted out of the last three games of the year, therefore, he wasn't eligible."

College football becoming NFL light. Players who are, essentially, free agents, can and do leave for better opportunities, whether it be through transfer portal (= free agent market), or to the NFL. How about a school scholarship is a "contract" to which a player is bound.

I stopped watching the spoiled children of the NFL a couple years ago. I am guessing I have about 5 more years of NCAA football before I turn that off, too. Hope NCAA gets a handle on this.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Our bowl game is going to be a good match-up against the undefeated bearcats. Zero chance, I say ZERO chance Clemson loses to Notre Dame twice with Lawrence under center.

All due respect to what the opting-out players have accomplished and done for UGA (you are DGDs!), but if you aren't playing in the bowl game, I hope you do not get enjoy the "festivities" and travel with the team. Save those spots for the folks that are still ON THE DA RN TEAM!

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree.

I very much dislike this opting out stuff.

All players should feel obligated and be obligated to the university and feel duty bound to their brothers on the team. Playing in the bowls should be part of their contract. Opting out of the bowl should mean putting a lien on their NFL bonus to pay the university back for their athletic scholarship.

Just my 2 cents. I'll run it by Kirby Saturday night when we're playing poker and watching the Alabama beatdown of the University of West Gainesville.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I will miss seeing them play but look, these kids pursuit of economic empowerment is directly tied to having healthy bodies and not bachelor degrees and while it is important to be educated, degrees are not a prerequisite to potentially make millions in the NFL. It is too much to risk for some of them to play in a non-playoff bowl game because if a career ending injury occurs, would a non-playoff bowl game have been worth it? Yes, they could just as easily suffer the same fate in a playoff game but for every kid faced with that decision, they all have played. I have not heard of one kid from any team opting out of a playoff game. If a kid is drafted in the 1st or 2nd round, his contract will be more worth than 99% of what educated Americans will earn in their lifetimes. Why should they risk that for a New Year's Six Bowl?

Please let's stop with this noise of how much these schools invest in the kids as if there's no trade off, albeit an unequitable monetary trade off. The schools gets millions of dollars because of the entertainment revenue the kids bring in (ticket sales, etc. and television) and the kids get the opportunity to go to classes without having to pay cash for them among other things. The athletes enable the schools to pay head coaches multi millions per year and most on the staff 6 or 7 figures per year and that allows them to support their families with primary residences and vacation homes and private schools but somehow a kid is disloyal to the school if he wants to pursue the opportunity to do the same thing for his own family while he still has collegiate eligibility. I'm not opposed to what coaches and staff earn but I am opposed to the noise that somehow these kids should be humbly grateful for their scholarships as if their talents didn't earn the scholarships. My talent was no where near good enough for an athletic scholarship and if someone had offered me one, I would have been humbly grateful.

Dr. Fauci secured his bag through education and decades of experience, Trevor Lawrence is going to secure his bag through three years of college football and God bless them both because formal education is not the only way in America to secure your bag.

To all of the underclassmen who leave early, thank you for making Georgia Saturdays the special day it has been for decades. Now, go get your money!

Go Dawgs!