Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football winners and losers following College Football Playoff announcements

13»

Comments

• CTDCTD Posts: 45 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited December 2020

87dawg.....very good post.

I forgot to tell this genius reporter earlier....so here goes:

Don't ever tell me or other fans how to think, feel or express their opinion. We have to read your drivel almost daily. No more. Despite liberal ideals, this is still America and we as fans have a right to free expression and you calling us losers is in effect telling us to shut up.

Well that goes both ways....shut your pie hole. The fans lost a season as well. Then to have them QUIT is beyond maddening. Remember this too....those opting out sometimes go undrafted or so that they are likely to be cut. NFL be damned here. Is everything just about $$$? Everyone keeps spouting unity and coming together and then this article calls us losers? And players show unity by QUITTING on their teammates. Spare me the dramatic commercials and SEC talking points from now on.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't always agree with you, Connor, but I'm with you today. I used to be on the other side, but now, with all the money everyone else is getting from college football, I believe players have THE RIGHT (since we're in America and all that) to do what they think is best for them. Who knows if they're making the right decision or not, but all that matters is that THEY think that it is. And regardless of what we fans say or spout off about, they're going to keep on doing it because that's what human beings do -- what's best for them. And yes @DeppDogg , theoretically the entire TEAM could opt out for whatever reason. The only reason more freshmen and sophomores don't leave is because they can't get paid. Notice how top basketball players leave after their freshman years. So blast Connor as much as you like -- neither his opinion or the college football system is going to change anytime soon. I do, however, like the idea (if it's legal) to make players sign an addendum or something to their scholarship papers that says they will refund the university the cost of that scholarship year if they opt out of playing in all the team's games, including any bowl or playoff games, unless they are injured. And the injury has to be one that is mutually agreed to by the university. That way, players still have THE RIGHT to leave if they like, but now, at least, it would cost them something to do so. For guaranteed first- or second-round picks, they probably wouldn't care about the money. But for those borderline guys, they might think twice.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2020

Well, at the risk of quibbling, yes it's a privilege to play, but it is definitely a right NOT to play if they don't want to. Don't get me wrong, I don't like it. It just seems silly to me for them to say, No I couldn't possibly go one more game... after 3-5 years. Especially, as has been pointed out, if they're then going to turn around and go play an exhibition game that doesn't even count for anything. And if you want to say there should be some kind of consequence for quitting before the season is over, I wouldn't disagree with you (within reason of course). But let's not act like they don't have a right not to play a game they don't want to play.

• CTDCTD Posts: 45 ✭✭ Sophomore

Losers: Columnists who call fans losers for wanting players to not QUIT on their team, coaches, university, and fans that have given so much for them to be able to play Div I football and showcase their talent for the pros. Without the fan base support monetarily....there would be no college football....period!

**Know what is ironic....these same players will "use" their coaches, facilities, and university again to train and perform at Pro Days held at the school they no longer want to represent/play for. Talk about the height of arrogance.