Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

4 things: A holiday wishlist for Georgia and college football

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited December 2020 in Article commenting
image4 things: A holiday wishlist for Georgia and college football

Georgia football needs two of its top players to return to win a championship next season, and college football needs to get its house in order

Read the full story here

Comments

• SteveRSteveR Posts: 12 ✭✭ Sophomore

How about everybody agreeing that Vanderbilt be replaced by another team in the SEC

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As far as a home game with Vandy next year...HA! The idea of the SEC doing anything to benefit UGA is a pipe dream! Not only was there the Vandy fiasco, but the clincher came when, after Coach Clown made asinine statements about full stadiums at the swamp because it was the 24,000 fans at Kyle Field that caused his team to lose to A&M and then he and his team contracted COVID, for no reason at all except to reward UF’s and Coach Clown’s idiocy, the SEC proceeded to punish Kirby’s exceptional efforts to maintain COVID protocol by altering the Dawg’s schedule which benefited no one but the Gators! All Sankey deserves is a butt kicking!

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The biggest problem with the play-off committee: They will do whatever it takes to get Ohio St and Oklahoma "IN".

All either one has to do is not lose more than 1 game and they are a virtual lock into the play-off. Neither one ever plays any real top 5 team in- conference.

Even when Oklahoma loses 2, they still get over-ranked. Oklahoma lost 2 in 2020, neither was a great team. Georgia lost 2, one to No.1 and the other to Florida. Apples to apples comparison didn't come into play.

Doesn't matter that Georgia's playing better to finish the season. Oklahoma was naturally ranked higher than Georgia.

This committee, and every one before it has been eat up with bias.

• KBPKBP Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I can't imagine Daniels having a 1st round grade this year. His best film is with the Dawgs and I can't fathom a GM taking him in the 1st round in 2021 and as a QB, I don't understand coming out early without a 1st round grade. NFL GM's can't miss on 1st round QB'S. Too much at stake like the future of the franchise and their jobs as GM.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2020
    • Think Sankey and the SEC has done an admirable job getting a pretty complete season accomplished. Some games were missed, but most teams got at least 9 or 10 games played. It's certainly better than some conferences.
    • Would much rather see the GA-FL matchup in Athens and Gainesville. I've spent many game days in Jacksonville over the years, but I'm more than ready for the Jacksonville "tradition" to come to an end.
    • Can't believe we may have to suffer through 5 more seasons of this completely inadequate, unfair, biased, and politically-tilted 4-team CFP. The BCS Championship was arguably better than this thing we call a 'playoff'.
    • Would love to see JT and Davis come back for one more year. That would be sweet!

Merry Christmas and GO DAWGS!! Let's get ready for the Bearcats!

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    1. Not concerned about JT Daniels returning (unless he throws for 1,000 yards in the bowl game). Less sure about Davis. He's probably right on the edge. But keeping my fingers crossed.
    2. More home games would be great. I say leave the Florida game in Jacksonville. Funny how so many of the same people that are anxious to do away with that tradition because it's in the "best interest" of UGA and its fans, are all over young players for making the decision to do away with the "tradition" of playing in bowl games because it's not in their best interests. That's the thing about doing things for yourself -- loyalty (to school, teammates, a city, tradition) all goes out the window.
    3. I have said from Day One that the playoffs ought to be 8 teams (the winners of the Power 5 conferences -- REGARDLESS OF RECORD, and three at-large teams). It can be larger than this if folks want, but it should be 8 teams at least. Most of the issues the past few years would have been done away with. And for folks that say where does it stop, in reality, there are only 8-10 teams EVERY year who can lay a legitimate claim to being a national champion. There just aren't 20 15-20 worthy teams.
    4. Sankey, Saban, SOMEBODY needs to be the college football commissioner. The Big 10 is a joke. Then they went and changed the COVID protocols to make sure their guys who might be in danger can play. And if they need to cut it back to 10 days for some reason, they'll do that, too. So count me in favor of having a commissioner because leaving things up to the individual conferences is a recipe for disaster.
  • MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe that Vanderbilt should receive some level of punishment for the way they handled the cancellation. But scheduling Vandy twice in the same season? That's no way to respond. It's like playing Nichols State twice. You're rated, in part, by the strength of your competition. It's about strength of schedule.

What great outcome results from playing the 136th team (in FBS)?

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The idea is to play Vanderbilt in Athens the next two years to make up for the game they bailed on, not playing them twice in the same year.

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mark, some teams are rated by strength of competition, and UGA is one of those teams.

Other teams, like Oklahoma and Ohio St, it doesn't seem to matter.

• khummelkhummel Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A more favorable schedule would be to play Vandy at their place, and the tougher teams at home. Go Dawgs, home and away!

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@E_Roc Yeah, I totally lost track of the two-game argument. Too much Tito's and beer last night.

• Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 153 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mike.

I have been stating the same points you make in your column for years now... As a UGA grad 92 and friends well positioned with knowledge of UGA athletics and it's history of "Not Standing Up for One Self" 1. There is zero reason for Georgia to play Florida in Jax anymore...I pray that our new AD will see Kirby's vision and bring this game to Athens every other year and if FL wants to play in JAX as their home game let it be played on their home states turf. 2. The UT and Vandy games should have been changed to one away and one home game every year not the current rotation of one year both home and the next away. Hope the new AD stands up to the Birmingham SEC Mafi and clearly and effectively states we deserve and want Vandy to be played in Athens 2021 for payback and to help our home schedule out. We went close to two months without a freaking home game this year and most every other year we have 5-6 weeks without home games due to the freaking FL game being in JAX every year...just another reason to get this dam game on a home and home schedule. 3. UGA should have never agreed to the back to back away games with Aub and should have never agreed to the Aub game being moved up in our schedule. the new AD needs to get this back to a NOV scheduled meeting period.... screw AUB I say!

My rant for this cold Sat morning... enjoy your Sat Mike and greet podcast last night!