Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia vs. Cincinnati 'Tale of the Tape,' Peach Bowl statistical breakdown

SystemSystem Posts: 7,423 admin
edited December 2020 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia vs. Cincinnati 'Tale of the Tape,' Peach Bowl statistical breakdown

ATHENS — On paper, Georgia should have its hands full with undefeated Cincinnati in the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl next Saturday in Mercedes-Benz Stadium. Of course, the game isn’t played on paper, and there’s much to be said for the rigors of a 10-game SEC schedule, good and bad. The No. 9-ranked Bulldogs (7-2) have

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    USADawgUSADawg Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well... we seem to dominate in the kicking game, so there’s that.

I am not exactly sure what to take from any of those numbers, but they’re interesting. It will be particularly interesting to analyze them after the game.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Like ole Barney Fife ( or was it Phyfe ) said we better gird our loins for this game !! I think it all boils down to what Kirby said or rather asked, do our guys want this game bad enough ? If they come in highly motivated I think we win against a pretty darn good Cincy team. If not then it may be a Texas Repeat. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

"Georgia ranks dead last out of 127 teams in the country in Red Zone defense, allowing opponents to score points on each of their 19 trips inside the 25-yard line."

WHAT?!!!! That is a frighteningly BAD statistic. How is that even possible with the players we have? If true, that statistic lies directly at the feet of the coaching staff! Lanning and Smart better get that improved quick, fast and in a hurry! Wow, make some changes!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2020

Stats are for losers. Throw the stats out the window.

Cincinnati is a pretty balanced offense. Our strength is not our pass defense - it's our run defense. If we stop their run we should win the game. So it will come down to the line of scrimmage. And turnovers. Those (2) things will determine the outcome of this game. Easy Peasy.

GO DAWGS!!!

P.S. Mike, the game is next Friday, not Saturday.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So, according to the stats Cincy wins. Going to put all my money on Cincy! NOT!! LOL!

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Where the numbers show an advantage for Cinci, I look for the Dawg's speed and size to at least even those up.

The Dawg's third down offense vs. Cinci defense is where it turns in Ga's favor. GOOODAWGS!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gentlemen....it is who you play that determines stats: SEC vs AAC. Toss most of those stats. However, the red zone zero performance stat by the Dawgs is pretty disheartening. That could be a factor next Friday. Their QB is an excellent passer. Their RBs are okay. WRs good. UGA does not perform that well in the pass coverage game. It will be an interesting match-up. If JT continues to be ON..game over. Our defense should weaken their offense as the game wears on. The Bearcats are a "determined" team. I'll give them that. GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Georgia ranks dead last out of 127 teams in the country in Red Zone defense, allowing opponents to score points on each of their 19 trips inside the 25-yard line."

This is an aside, but counting made field goals against the defense's red zone efficiency has never made sense to me. Once a team crosses the 20* they're already well within field goal range, and whether the kick is good or not has nothing to do with the defense. So if the defense is able to hold them to a field goal attempt at that point, why should the fact that the opponent made the kick count against the red zone defense? Red zone efficiency should be counted simply as number of touchdowns per number of trips. This has nothing to do with Georgia's apparent abysmal taking at the moment, as I have no idea where we would rank if such a correction were made. It's a general principle thing.

*I haven't heard anything about the red zone being extended to the 25, so I'm assuming that's an error.

• Options
    GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

I tend to look at the numbers of 5 & 4 star players a team has on their roster. The team that has the most tends to win most of the time. UGA dominates this game because the above metric isn't even remotely close.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One thing I noticed in watching BAma play Fla the other day was Patrick Surtain, they say will be a 1st round draft choice at DB. I watched him on coverage and he always got his head turned around to look for the ball when it was in the air. Not sure why we can't coach our guys to do the same. Hard to knock a ball down if you can't see it.

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Good stuff as usual Mike but something that's astounding to me is the apparent feeling among some UGA fans that the tale of the tape is relevant to this game. Many seem to think that UGA will win even though the TOTT doesn't look so certain. And that's without accounting at all for the loss of this year's members of the "Quit Squad."

Let's take our pick of 9 or so Cincinnati starters to have sit out and see how that works for them. Yet, we're supposed to win regardless, just because we're the big, bad SEC. Very dangerous thinking, IMO.

Kirby says all the right things but it's hard to believe the false security perception among the fan base hasn't seeped into the locker room. Let's hope not. Otherwise, UGA is going to get it's rear end handed to it.

Or, I'm just a worrier and we'll glide past this team solely on the mystique of the G.

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Great point, since those stats are not from the UGA team that will take the field Jan 1st.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wonder where Mike is getting his game info from? He has reported the game is at 12:30 and in this article he says the game is Saturday. I thought the game was this Friday at 12:00. Is Mike going to miss the game?

opt out=quitting

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 412 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

First off, UGA would be undefeated easily if they played Cincinnati's schedule. Let's see where the Bearcats would be if they played Bama, Florida, etc. These tale of the tape numbers are useless.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love stats, but these are meaningless. Not only are those pre-Daniels, but against Florida and Bama being 2 out of the 9 games we played. All SEC games, no cupcakes.

Cincinnati played nothing but cupcakes. They gave up 20 points to Austin Peay who ended their season after 3 games and got shutout by Pitt 55-0. Don't forget wins against teams like South Florida who went 1-9 and got shutout by Notre Dame 52-0. Wins against Army, SMU (started ranked, wound up unranked), Memphis, Houston (3-6), East Carolina (3-6) and then they finish up the year with two 3-point wins:

• UCF (6-4) - Best Win was GA Tech, I guess? No shutouts, 26 point loss against BYU
    • #24 Tulsa (6-2) - Best game was 9 point loss against #21 Oklahoma State? 4 point win against ECU, 4 point win against SMU, 6 point win against Tulsa North, 7 point win against Navy (3-7)

I know it's a great story, but it reminds me of 2007 (wow, 13 years ago) against undefeated Hawaii. We beat them 41-10.

It's a bowl game and they'll be giving it everything they have with media rooting for Cincinnati, but WHEN we beat them soundly (and we will), Cincy will drop down to about #24 if they are lucky.

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 412 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@kirkhilles Exactly right. I think of that Hawaii game when everyone said UGA would have their toughest game and probably lose. Colt Brennan was almost killed by the Dawgs D. I was genuinely scared for the Hawaii players because the Dawgs were so superior. It was scary. I think it was Marcus Howard who almost made the Hawaii QB quit the game after blasting him and recovering the ball in the end zone. This game with Cincy should be a repeat. But you never know. That's why they play em.

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I expect Cinn to be fired up and they might score on their first possession. But by the 3rd quarter UGA will have pulled away and many of the Cinn players will be sore and wanting the game to end. Of course this is assuming COVID doesn't strike and UGA ends up playing 3rd and 4th stringers.

• Options
    tomdialwestervilletomdialwesterville Posts: 19 ✭ Freshman

You left out one vital statistic: STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE. Look at who Cincy played compared to UGA's opponents. FORGET IT FOLKS. WE'LL WIN BY 14 AT LEAST. Thus speaketh Socretom, not to be confused with Socretes.

• Options
    Redcoat_85Redcoat_85 Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

Unfortunately for Georgia, there's not a whole lot to be gained by playing this game other than reps and experience for some of our younger players. If Georgia wins, then it's "well, it was Cincinnati so you didn't win by enough". If Georgia wins by a lot, then it's "shame on Georgia for taking advantage of an overmatched team" -- just like Hawaii in 2008. If Georgia slips up and loses, then it's "Ha! Ha! Ha!, look at the big bad SEC team that got beat by a Group of 5 school." But, it's the game that we have and I'll be parked in front of the TV cheering them on.

On another note, I certainly hope that when it comes time to distribute bowl and TV revenue this year, that the SEC office keeps in mind that Vandy quit on the season leaving us holding the bag on $1.8 million in tickets that had to be refunded and preventing our Seniors from having their day. Also, the SEC office should take note of the South Carolina players backing out on their bowl game (even at 2 and 8). The Gamecocks are trying to spin it as Covid, but they had a players only meeting and went whining to their AD about not wanting to play for Bobo. It ultimately cost UAB a chance at their well-earned bowl trip and cost the SEC the revenue for that second tier bowl. I'd rather not see South Carolina get rewarded for that.