Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Greedy?

dtf53dtf53 Posts: 28 ✭✭ Sophomore

I find myself still a little unhappy with the way the game turned out. Am i being greedy? The defense didn't have any takeaways (almost one by JR Reed) and gave up some big plays. Long ball on Baker and a coupe 3rd down scrabbles on 3rd and 7+. I didn't see very many crushing blows knocking the ball carriers back other than a couple by the D line, which to me didn't have very many sacks. Had the pressure but lost contain. Wheres our outstanding OLBs Carter and Bellamy? Anyways, long story short, we still have a long way too go on both sides of the ball to become a Championship caliber team.

Comments

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, Fromm did good for the very first game for a true freshman. I certainly don't see him kicking ass in the CFP. No flashes of brilliance like Eason had against UNC last year.

The goal this year was winning the East though. That still looks very doable.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:
    Yeah, Fromm did good for the very first game for a true freshman. I certainly don't see him kicking ass in the CFP. No flashes of brilliance like Eason had against UNC last year.

The goal this year was winning the East though. That still looks very doable.

Agreed. Fromm made several "throw it up and see what happens" throws that ended up okay but he was hardly clinical and dissecting the D.
    Our defense played well but failed to contain the QB on the option several times. The OLBs need to hold their position, not charge into the pile to get in on the tackle, where there are 8 others doing the same, only to allow the QB outside the pocket and make big gains on the keeper. Wimbush and Fitzgerald will tear us apart if we don't show better discipline.
    The O line started rough (to be expected) but did okay after the first 3 series until they started substituting. We need the first string to stay healthy based on what I saw when they rotated others in. Because of the channel switch I can't go back and see the line personnel early so don't know if the sudden improvement series 2 to 4 was Pitt boss getting on their case or some form of substitution.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

AppSt had 5 fumbles last year and a smart QB who averaged 4.6 ypp. Not a formula for TOs. I thought the first team D looked very good, all things considered. Fromm is like a straight six; Eason is like a Veyron with engine timing problems. OLine looked better with Fromm (makes me wonder what the plan was before/ after Eason got hurt). Wims was phenomenal. I agree, doesn't look like a team that can plow over Alabama, but it's the first game, so...

edited September 2017

@Denmen185 One thing about the "throw it up and see who catches it" passes though. They all landed on the side of the scrum that the UGA receiver was on. Or at least that weird pass to Swift did. And the pass for the second TD. With the defenders all in Fromm's face in the collapsing pocket, it didn't end up so much a pass as it was a lob. And their were defenders around where the ball landed. But the ball landed in front of all the people who were standing there, which is where the UGA receiver was.

So it was sloppy, and far from perfect, but you gotta wonder if there was more than luck going on there.

It was App St though. So when I say "more than luck", I'm not talking "SEC championship more than luck". But like a Few steps of progress better than luck.

• dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2017

I understand the greedy but in the grand scheme of things. The defense played really good. Most of the errors the defense had are fixable because they were missed assignments. I thought overall it was a solid 4 effort from the D. The 1 and 2 Dline I give them an A. They had a really good night controlling the line of scrimmage and getting pressure on the QB. I would like to add that the defense did played a vanilla scheme.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:
    @Denmen185 One thing about the "throw it up and see who catches it" passes though. They all landed on the side of the scrum that the UGA receiver was on. Or at least that weird pass to Swift did. And the pass for the second TD. With the defenders all in Fromm's face in the collapsing pocket, it didn't end up so much a pass as it was a lob. And their were defenders around where the ball landed. But the ball landed in front of all the people who were standing there, which is where the UGA receiver was.

So it was sloppy, and far from perfect, but you gotta wonder if there was more than luck going on there.

It was App St though. So when I say "more than luck", I'm not talking "SEC championship more than luck". But like a Few steps of progress better than luck.

I thought Fromm played very well for a Frosh so I am not being overly critical just making sure others don't get carried away :D

@JoelSidneyKelly I think you drive better cars than I do. If I thought Fromm was a straight six, I'd be all over encouraging Eason to transfer. I drive a RAV4 though and enjoy the comfortable, laid back drive. Don't really have any desire to own a more powerful V6 as I drive from stop light to stop light around town. People with different views on cars, maybe to them Fromm is a straight six.

edited September 2017

@Denmen185 said:

@levander said:

I thought Fromm played very well for a Frosh so I am not being overly critical just making sure others don't get carried away :D

I just re-watched most of the game. The third "throw it up and catch it" pass was to Godwin at the 5 yard line. It looked sloppy as hell. But it was clear Godwin had his defender, some App St guy named Duck, completely beat. And Duck ended up jumping on Godwin and smothering him for a 15 yard penalty. I think the next play was a Wildcat where Michel ran it into the end zone...

I didn't think you were being too critical. More just getting off my chest that boy did some of those passes look sloppy. But if you think about them a second, they were (.possibly) smartly thrown if not well thrown...