Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Dawgs fans, spare me the grousing about New Year’s bowls that aren’t a semifinal

2»

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not since the Miss St game. or did we go over 50 then?

• Options

No, only 8 yards rushing that game. Roughly 400 passing

• Options
    CTDCTD Posts: 21 ✭ Freshman

Best article by Bill for this crazy year of CFB.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

E_Roc and ShoottheHooch...

First off, I wasn't the one to say the defense "Bailed him out"...that was Bill's words that I had quoted in those 2 paragraphs...although the defense was pretty darn key so I don't disagree with what Bill said. Our D played stellar and so did Cincy's defense.

Yes, our offense didn't move the ball very well, and the thinking is that since the offense was sputtering you are taking a BIG chance in giving back the ball to Cincy and then subsequently having to use all your timeouts most likely. IF you get the ball back then you have little time (maybe not even enough), no timeouts, and an offense that really isn't moving the ball well. I mean, Podlesny had to make the longest field goal of his career in order to win the game. It wasn't a chip shot.

SO there was a LOT riding on Kirby's decision and it all came together in the end. Luck is part of the game, and even Kirby knows he got away with one as he questions his own decision later. There is no doubt about that.

• Options
    DawgSonOfGamecockDawgSonOfGamecock Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm a bit puzzled that people are debating the merits of what turned out to be a good call by Smart. I mean, Georgia did win the game after all. I know I've questioned some of Smart's sideline strategeries over the years and yes, I'll be the first to admit I complained loudly about the nature of this win, but it seems to me the final score is the best way to determine if it was a good call. Like others have stated, the defense was playing lights out at the time. Why not give them the chance to get the ball back?

• Options
    Bigjohnson92Bigjohnson92 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So the offense was struggling. And apparently we don’t have a ‘can’t miss’ 3 yard play. We decide to punt and hopefully hold them and make them punt. Then we take over much further away than we were, with basically no time left. 👍

Got it..........

• Options
    randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

half the team was missing, Cinn stacked the line so we couldn’t run, we were on the wrong side of most every ref call, O line was embarrassing, almost entirely new secondary, COVID issues, poor punting, turnovers, noon start where we never play well, and just overall poor performance all around, down 21-10, and a super-motivated team with everything to prove... yet we find a way to win! Not the way we wanted to win and MUCH to work on but overcoming all that adversity is something to celebrate, and a game we normally give up and lose. Go Dawgs and optimistic about 2021!

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well Montana, there would have been a LOT riding on Kirby’s decision if on fourth and three he had turned it over to a sputtering offense and an OL that could neither run nor pass block and a running game that was netting less than three yards per rush. Dang straight Kirby needed to call a TO to weigh his options, all things considered. Even in hindsight his call was spot on! If our line with Cleveland and Hill had been intact it would have been a no brainer to go for it, but with pretty much our second unit playing, putting the game in the hands of a defense playing lights out and a strong legged kicker was the no brainer the way I see it!

• Options

"finished with just 45 net rushing yards on 24 attempts in the"

And herein lies a major problem. Add this total to our rushing total against Miss. St. and you get 53 yards TOTAL>

Little Tulsa rushed for 200 yards against the Bearcats 2 weeks ago. Tulsa got beat by Miss. St, by a couple of points. We beat Miss. St by 7. Tulsa rushed for 158 against Miss St. We had 8.

Thank goodness for the emergence of JT Daniels and the passing game. We recruit better than anyone not named BAMA and we can't rush the ball better than 53 yards in 2 games? Seriously?

Quit making excuses for drop outs and Covid and a lack of motivation. Our back up linemen are higher rated than most teams starters.

BAMA squashes Cincy, if they played them, and we are still catching our breath after being behind the whole game and eeking out a win. Just Wow! Wait til next year, or the one after. But we got another great recruiting class to gloat over!!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2021

I never said you were the one who introduced the phrase, but you did quote and adamantly second it. I merely offered up a rebuttal to the idea that it was some egregious decision that Smart made in punting. (Multiple people had used the phrase, so I followed up to address that in a separate post in which I didn't quote you. Looking back, I guess the two posts do kind of bleed together, so sorry for any confusion there.) Anyway, we could go back and forth all day on the pros and cons of each option Smart could have taken - and that's the point. Whatever he decided, it was always going to depend on the execution by the players.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There was always time to get it back for a ~2-minute drill. Not sure why your trying to contest that like it's debatable.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great read Bill !! And Thank You for putting things in to my humble opinion, proper perspective. When I’m wrong I don’t mind admitting it. And I don’t mind constructive criticism. I Do very much mind malicious criticism because there’s absolutely no need for it. As far as I know we’re all fans none of us draw a salary from the UGA for our football knowledge that I know of. I was Wrong by underestimating the BearCats. I thought before the game that they were a pretty decent team. But they ranked considerably higher than that. I could rehash all the elements you pointed out about all the missing components on the Dawgs team but I won’t. But taking All that into consideration playing against a Very Hungry, Very Determined, pretty dawg gone good Cinci team getting the W is great !! Sure the Dawgs play could have been Much better even down with players out. But teams like individual players just have bad games sometimes how it goes. The thing is they recovered and put the most important stat on the board a nice big W !! A word on JT Daniels. I predict that IF and it’s super important IF he gets a Normal year of practice this guy is going to be Very, Very, good perhaps even Great !! He didn’t get that prior to the 2020 season. The guy hadn’t played in a real live action game headed on toward Two Years !! And the Bowl game was only his 4th game with very, very little practice time after having been out of CFB all that time !! And having to learn Monken’s system !! And as for the repeated long ball efforts I doubt seriously that JT was allowed to make those decisions the play calls belong to Monken. Last but not least it is my humble personal opinion that though cleared to play JT began the game at 90% not his full 100%. Notice how later in the game he has a slight limp. And players at UGA ( including the QB) and other schools play with a Cleared Status but still slightly injured. If I’m wrong on JT Daniels in the 2021 campaign and I’m still living I will come back on This board and own it !! I’m talking the season now Not one game and the provisos of having some normalcy are in place. I predict that IF he gets Time for adequate practice this young man is gonna make Dawgs Fans proud !! And that is certainly not a knock on our other QBs. **** I just hope that JT and his family dont fall victim to some Greedy agent that talks him/them to Try (and fail) to jump to the NFL. He NEEDS to come back and get his last year. I think he’d make a huge mistake trying to go now. Sorry so lengthy !!

• Options
    ColoradoSkiDawgColoradoSkiDawg Posts: 35 ✭✭ Sophomore

Also, the officiating was downright strange at times. 

Agree - Mentioned to my son early on that the refs seemed to have the underdog syndrome going where they favored Cincy in most calls or non calls. To their credit they did call the legit targeting call on their OT...

• Options
    GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

During this whacky year, Miami, UNC were also at one point ranked in the top 10 until they played a quality opponent. Had Cincinnati played Clemson like the aforementioned did during the year, I guarantee they would NOT be ranked top 10. The Bearcats were top 10 primarily because of their record - certainly not strength of schedule.