Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Kirby Smart reveals Trevor Lawrence's early success affected Justin Fields' at Georgia

13»

Comments

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes, but Tua didn't start ONE GAME as a freshman. In fact, he only played in 8 games vs Fields played in all 12 for us. It wasn't like Hurts had taken them to the NC game and then Tua starts game #1 Freshman year.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Basically Fields was not brought along as well as he should have been. It showed in the SEC Championship game. We needed a spark, we dominated early on and fell flat later in the game, the momentum swung when BAMA inserted Hurts. We could have used Fields coming in and giving us a potential boost, but Fields wasn't ready, KIrby obviously felt like Jake was the only chance we had. Turns out it was so unlike what BAMA did.

I would at least offer the possibility that if Fields had been given more meaningful snaps during the season , he would have been ready for his opportunity, if allowed to do so. It was never to be. I, like others, feel like the fake punt was an act of desperation and I have reviewed it several times, maybe I will go back and review it again, maybe I missed it but I didn't see anyone being wide open.

The shame was: for whatever reason and whoever's fault, Fields wasn't trusted by Kirby enough to be inserted as Hurts and Tua were in successive years to provide a spark.

• HunkerDawgHunkerDawg Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ Junior

Good article Mike.

I wish my fellow Dawg fans could finally just be happy for Justin without gnashing teeth. We enjoyed having Jake. Wish it could have worked out for Justin here. Understand why it didn't from all sides. It's not a new type of problem, and as problems go it's a great one to have. Move on. Root for the young man to be Bama. Happy we have Monken and JT in '21. GO DAWGS!!

• Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 412 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Kirby gets paid millions a year to win. If not, he loses the opportunity. Using that logic alone, anyone who thinks he didn’t start Fields due to race, is race baiting. If fields was going to give us a better chance to win, he’d have played.

I think the biggest factor driving this drama was that Fromm was not as gifted as Fields. But seeing this on the surface was misleading because this drastic disparity was offset by how much more DEVELOPED Fromm was. And how much more experience he had in the offense/SEC.

Similarly, Fields and Lawrence were the #1 & 2 five stars from that year. As a result Fields and those influencing him likely saw him as “just as good” as Lawrence. But again, he wasn’t quite as developed. We have to remember stars are a reflection of POTENTIAL, not PRESENT ability. As you see the experts were right, look at Fields and Lawrence now. And look at where Fromm, a four star, landed. I just think these kids get gassed up way to much with this star system, and this on top of liberal transfer policy result in situations like this and always will.

I still hold no ill-will and hope OSU beats Bama tonight. Fields for MVP!

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2021

Let's look at one single fact concerning this tiresome Fromm-Fields debate: Fromm was a 4th Round NFL Draft Pick. 4th Round.

Lawrence, Fields, Jones, Lance (ND State), and Wilson (BYU) are all projected 1st Round picks this year. Even if Fromm had stayed an extra year he wouldn't be going in the 1st Round. No way. He may not have even gone in the 2nd Round. His potential ceiling had pretty much been reached the last couple of seasons, and he realized that (and so did the NFL Scouts). Coming back this season would probably have helped the Dawgs but not so much his draft potential.

So there you have it. Fields fits in perfectly with the Ohio State offense. He may even end up an Atlanta Falcon.

• MacroDawgMacroDawg Posts: 50 ✭✭ Sophomore

Joe Burrow was already at LSU when Fields was at GA if I remember. Fields did not chase Burrow away from Ohio st.

• hgray59hgray59 Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

Maybe -

but i remember Kirby responding to a question about what kind of a plan he had to use Justin Fields and he said "the only plan we have is we don't have a plan". He wasted his redshirt opportunity by playing him with no plan. When Kirby is through coaching he should run for governor.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2021

As much as I'm sick of reading about that guy... this was a good article. Really good.

I think there's one small part of this saga you left out. It wasn't that so many of us were angry he transferred out. Many of us were very angry that the NCAA gave him immediate eligibility. That should of never happened.