Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

A Dawgs fan wonders what college football will look like in five years

SystemSystem Posts: 10,473 admin
edited January 2021 in Article commenting
imageA Dawgs fan wonders what college football will look like in five years

Looming issues could change the game we’ve known and loved

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Interesting article, Bill, with well made points.

My guess is we're in the golden age of college football right now. It's might well be downhill from here. Fortunately, Dawg Football and DawgNation are well positioned to be immune to changes which will wipe out many programs, but will the sport survive for another hundred years? I'm not so sure, but, then again, I'll never know.

The big problem is the respelling of the word team to include an I. Of course, like with just about everything, a follow the money issue might be a fundamental driving even that.

Happy shaves,

Jim

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

College football has changed and it hasn’t been for the better.

• Options
    rtparkerivrtparkeriv Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

The fan experience in Athens is awful. Packed, crowded bathrooms and concessions. I realized what it could and should be like when attending the game at Notre Dame.

Regarding ESPN finding a solution to streaming, they found that long ago. When I shopped a streaming service, getting all of the ESPN channels was my main criteria. Hulu and others have them.

• Options
    adcdadcd Posts: 16 ✭ Freshman

https://forum.dawgnation.com/profile/rtparkeriv I go to the games to watch my Dawgs play not spend time in the restroom or at the concession areas. Try that, your experience in Athens might be a bit more pleasant.

• Options
    Mickey_HandMickey_Hand Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

“…..what college football will look like in five years.”

Michigan will be trying to hire Tom Brady as their next Head Coach – if he can get out of the last 5 years of his contract with the Houston Texans.

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 277 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The changes in college football might well mirror changes in the way college degrees are accessed. Covid-19 has I believe spurred a much greater interest in virtual as opposed to on site learning. The costs of a college degree have become almost indefensible, a problem which will create greater advocacy for all measures which curb the expense. If students spend little time on campus, the intense program loyalty at all but the very best sports programs is likely to wane. This past year will not be a true measure of where college football is headed, but I suspect the next five years will be telling.

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

There are very few school athletic departments that even have surpluses, after the money makers such as football have subsidized the many sports that don't bring in much money. I assume that if and when income from sports like football decrease, as they would if student athletes start getting paychecks, the survival of other sports will be threatened.

I'm no expert, but I believe that if there are surpluses after the non-moneymaking sports have been subsidized, at most schools, at least state schools, money that is surplus to the operating expenses of the athletic department goes to the general fund. If that money dries up, the general student body will pay the price.

Another point to consider in whether or not to "pay" athletes is that, generally, grad students and other student research assistants surrender the right to benefit (money) from the research in which they participate. This is "rationalized" because the student receives the benefit of the expertise of their professors and the benefits of use of the facilities for their education. Research grants, contracts and proceeds from patents, etc, can be a huge cash inflow, bigger by far than that brought in by athletics. And, I know, from long ago experience, that graduate students don't enjoy the amenities provided to star athletes.

• Options
    street0123street0123 Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ Junior

The conference championship games are no longer relevant and should be replaced by 1st round playoff games in a 16 team playoff. Then the early bowls set up a rolling 4 to host the 2nd round games then the semifinal and final continue as currently scheduled. Each Power 5 conference gets 2 slots and the Group of 5 conferences get 3 automatic slots. The CFP Committee then selects the 3 remaining playoff teams. These 3 teams must travel to the G5 champions for their 1st round game. Each P5 uses the site's of their conference championships to have their conference champion play the number 2 team from another P5 conference as determined by the CFP Committee. 1st round playoff losers are still bowl eligible. This results in only 1 addition game for 4 team

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Please say it isn't so!

The only change I would like to see is an eight team playoff. That may actually make more than five teams relevant every year.

Saban's retirement will be a glorious day.