Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

'Now or never' for Georgia football coach Kirby Smart only half true

SystemSystem Posts: 10,537 admin
edited February 2021 in Article commenting
image'Now or never' for Georgia football coach Kirby Smart only half true

Georgia football coach Kirby Smart has won at an impressive clip, but some critics are charging that he should be winning even more

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    chilidawg1chilidawg1 Posts: 159 ✭✭✭ Junior

Georgia fans and those who cover the the DaWGs need to stop putting a deadline on Kirby winning a national championship. It will likely happen when you least expect it as it almost happened in January 2018. Kirby is a good coach and we are lucky to have him. Some fans who want a deadline are diehard Mark Richt fans and would be happy if Richt was still the coach.

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby's track record, to date, is similar to RIcht's. And we don't want another Richt program. We want better.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sometimes I wonder if that's the case. When Smart replaced Richt, irrational negativity abounded regarding his ability to lead the team. And these days, whenever things aren't going perfectly, there's a contingent that is quick to lambast him. I'm sure a lot of it is just a routine element of sports fandom (especially for a program in a title drought), but I do sometimes wonder how many of them are still grinding away on that ax.

Anyway, this "now or never" business is asinine, no more reasonable or reliable than any other arbitrary prediction. That's all I've really got to say about it.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"It will likely happen when you least expect it as it almost happened in January 2018"

Again, this is so UN-BAMA like. Imagine selling that idea to BAMA fans.

We're just wanting it too much. That's the problem. No, wanting it won't make it happen and it also won't stop it from happening, either. That's like sitting in your favorite chair, wearing your game day apparel because if you don't, you will some how jinx the game . LOL!!

• Options
    Dawgbreath40Dawgbreath40 Posts: 54 ✭ Freshman
    edited February 2021

Passion from our fanbase and desire to win are all positives: No one should be calling for Dawg fans to be less passionate or labeling their desire to want our Dawg players to win a Natty “as a deadline”.

it isn’t a deadline, they and we just want the Dawgs to win because we love them that much!

You try and temper that fandom, then you may as well just get rid of competitive college football as a sport.

We all love Coach Smart, and with that means we want the best for him, too.

But keep in mind that he is being paid millions of dollars a year to coach a game, so to hold his feet to the fire and have high expectations for his teams is more than justified. Most fans I know invest a lot of time and money to the Dawgs, so they should be able to voice their opinion if they want. There are exceptions to that, but not many.

• Options
    RedUga4EverRedUga4Ever Posts: 28 ✭ Freshman

I don't think the national media and the national fan understand how hard the SEC is. In particular, put any conference champion having to go deal with Alabama and a lot of teams stay home with a butt kicking loss. It is what it is, until we can figure out how to defeat Alabama we have a hard road to go. Hopefully high-value recruits will continue to want to come to UGA. If they ever go to a 8 game playoff we are then in every year.

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Mike Griffith, a good article, but you left out the team that has won a Natty 3 times since 1980, and most Dawg fans believe as I do, that they are the Dawgs biggest rival, that team is the Florida Gators. I hope Kirby wins one before Mullet does. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

It is a "process," it is not "now or never!" It will occur when we have EVERYONE bought in and moving as one!

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Anybody who thinks 2021 is now or never either hasn't really been paying or they're just wishing against Kirby and UGA.

Name me another first time HC, who's had a better record over the last 5 years. Compare Smart's record to Dabo Swinney's first 5 and it's essentially identical. Same for Lincoln Riley, and neither of them competes in the SEC.

There is no first time HC in CFB with a better record over the last 5 years. You simply can't ask for much more than that.

Kirby Smart is only just getting started and he has the program set up for future success.

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't know who the "now or nevers" are. DOes anybody actually know somebody who feels this way?? The only justification I can see is that so often, UGa has either come so close and then lost that one game that ended a run. I believe that losing to Auburn has cost 8 or 9 (I counted once) SEC or SEC East titles since the 1970s. Then there's the 4th quarter disappointments against Alabama over the years (the crazy last minute in 1985, the 1994 28-29 come-from-ahead loss. The 2012 game. the games the last few seasons, etc.

Add to that the abysmal record of Atlanta pro sports teams (where a lot of Dawg fans live) and it gets hard to be eternally optimistic.

That said, it doesn't make sense to not appreciate where Smart has the Dawgs these days. Bigger sports brains than I have asked, if not Smart, who do the NoNs propose to improve the Dawgs?

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All the hype is deserved in 2021.

Make the playoffs at least...anything less will be a HUGE disappointment. Win the games you need to win - including most likely Bama in the SEC Championship game - and get to the playoffs. After that the rest is gravy and the National Championship is within our grasp.

GO DAWGS!!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

OK you guys convinced me to lower my expectations and just be glad to win the East and go to a New Years Day bowl and finish up in the top 10 . NOT!! 2021 or Bust Baby! Why not us? Why not this year?

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

tech only won half of a NC.