Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia championship hopes rely on reloading secondary, Mel Tucker breakdown explains why

SystemSystem Posts: 10,489 admin
edited February 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia championship hopes rely on reloading secondary, Mel Tucker breakdown explains why

Georgia football secondary will be the primary concern in the offseason, and Mel Tucker's breakdown of how spread and RPO has put pressure on DBs explains why

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I still say pass rush from the down linemen is the key to high powered passing games. Richard Seymour and the Pats shut down the greatest show on turf, St. Louis Rams. The Giants in 2007 lit up the NFL's highest scoring offense in history with Brady and Moss. Von Miller and DeMarcus Lawrence of the Bronco's did it to the highest scoring offense in the league in the Carolina Panthers in the Super Bowl. OSU's pass rush just destroyed Clemson and the #1 overall pick. Finally, Tampa just destroyed a $500 million QB with animal fast receivers earlier this month in the Super Bowl. Yes, you need corners and safeties who can cover but without a pass rush that does not require blitzing, well in the words of the villain in the movie, Taken, good luck.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree, KBP. Receivers have an inherent advantage in that they know where they're going, and the DBs have to react. The more time the receivers have to move around, the more likely they are to make even an elite corner look silly.

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Offenses have gotten the leg up on defenses. Rpo's already give offenses a boost that they don't get in the NFL. But what aggrievates me is the receiver pick/no pick plays. If the play calls for you to prevent another player's movement, that is either a block (offense) or tackle (defense). Both are when concerning receivers before the ball is thrown on a passing play.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2021

I have to agree with KBP, and I've been saying the same thing for months now. An effective, disruptive, and efficient pass rush is MORE important right now than having an elite, experienced secondary - especially considering the lack of elite QBs we are going to be playing against during the regular season in 2021. Heck, Daniels has more game experience than DJ at Clemson. We've got a great DL for 2021. If we don't get a good, disruptive pass rush along with containing the running ability of DJ, then all bets are off against Clemson. However, even if we lose to Clemson we have the rest of the season against average to sub-par teams to get those 4 and 5 star secondary guys experience. They should be well versed if they are as good as advertised by the time the SEC Championship game comes around and the playoffs.

Don't start searching for and giving everyone excuses to why we might not make the playoffs. Good grief. You're never going to have a perfect team that has every single base covered. Bama's defense in 2020 did not look very good in the first part of the season but really improved as the season went along. I expect the same from our secondary as the season progresses.

• Options
    maconexpressmaconexpress Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior

Good luck to Mel if he think he can win championships at Michigan St. Nick Saban never won a div title there.

Wow! Kirby is sitting on a goldmine and if he find that championship formula (in the near future), he has a chance to win many national championships. I say this because he's recruiting better than anyone at the most important positions (QB OL/DL) in college football and I like his chances with those dynamic mobile quarterbacks.

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Tell the defensive line to rush the QB on every play. Tampa Bay showed the world how to shut out a high scoring offense, by stuffing the QB all game long. If the secondary is short on experience like UGA's is, use the DL and make the QB human. Don't let the QB become Superman in any game this fall.