Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia QB Greats: Time for Kirby Smart to 'take the handcuffs off' offense

SystemSystem Posts: 10,422 admin
edited February 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia QB Greats: Time for Kirby Smart to 'take the handcuffs off' offense

Former Georgia quarterback Buck Belue says it is time for Kirby Smart to allow offensive coordinator Todd Monken to open up the pass game, and Eric Zeier says that is already happening

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Its fun knowing you have a quick strike offense that can score in a couple of plays that is not dependent on running per say, as in taking 5-6 minutes to score. It's like the reporter who was complaining to Saban about BAMA not controlling the clock on offense. HIs reply was something like, "We score quickly. What's wrong with that?

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“JT threw it 38 times in his debut against  Mississippi State, then the very next week, I was dumbfounded when Georgia only threw it 16 times, it makes no sense,” Belue said.

Did Belue go on to explain why he's having such trouble wrapping his head around a game plan that produces 471 yards and 45 points in a 29-point win? Seems like an odd thing to say.

• Options
    GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

I get it, we have a throwing QB. But CKS is not going to abandon the run, he has said it in multiple interviews. I think the key is to be as balanced as possible, but at times we may throw or run more as described in the first 2 JT games. Use what works, but tread carefully, we need to put our foot on the gas and KEEP IT THERE!

• Options
    BassDawgBassDawg Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    okcdawgokcdawg Posts: 17 ✭ Freshman

I'm as excited as anyone to see Daniels & Monken working together for a full season. A couple of observations, though, before we plan our Natty celebration:

Daniels & our offense piled up their impressive stats against MS State, South Carolina, & Missouri.........3 weak sisters in the SEC. Prior to those games, Bennett, Mathis, & co. had to contend with Alabama & Florida.

This article shares the opinions of 2 former quarterbacks. I don't believe there's a QB who's ever played the game who would say: "yeah, we should have thrown the ball less & handed it off more".

• Options
    randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 2021

I agree with Belue. I understand the "take what they give you" offensive philosophy, but elite offenses today do not have such pass/run swings week to week like UGA has had. They pass to open up the run, not run to open up the pass. Until CKS embraces pass first, our O will never be elite. You can't throw it 50 times one game then 15 the next and expect the passing game to be fine-tuned and consistent. PLEASE PLEASE Kirby give up your stubbornness on the issue or we'll always be just outside the CFP every year!

• Options

332 yards, more than 7 per carry. It's safe to say the run game was pretty well opened up.

• Options
    Dawgbreath40Dawgbreath40 Posts: 54 ✭ Freshman

Playing tentative, “safe” play-calling, traditional run game plans, and stubbornness to change will not defeat Alabama and will not put UGA at the top of the CF mountain.

That is my opinion, and it is worth as much as those that disagree.

Period.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is a classic example of not accurately “comparing apples”. Against Mississippi State we HAD to pass because they totally shut down our run offense. Zeus, Cook and McIntosh combined for 33 yards rushing and JT had minus 21. I think that makes a net of 12 yards rushing. Against South Carolina the next week we rushed for well over 350 yards. That’s the reason we had no need whatsoever to pass a lot. With that said, I’m still excited that we are starting to open-up our offense. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    AMIDawgMarkMAMIDawgMarkM Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ Junior

The stats at the end if this article are eye-opening, for sure. Most of us Dawg fans want to see a dynamic passing game which opens up the running game. Use the entire field and put the defense in run-pass conflict. I believe Kirby will be all-in on this strategy for 2021 and beyond!

• Options
    edited February 2021

Agreed, more or less. The key word is dynamic - not just for the passing game but for the entire offense. The ability to implement a strategy that works from one game to the next is what matters. If that's flinging the ball all over the field one week, that's great. If it's taking the 7-8 yards that the defense is giving you every time you hand it off the next week, that's great too. Any combination in between is perfectly fine as long as it's working. I don't understand this mentality that no matter the end result, running the ball a lot in even a single game is inherently a bad idea or "makes no sense" strictly because it means passing less.

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This is why Kirby is a coach and Buck is a radio jockey. If you can rush for over 300 yards, like the Dawgs did to Carolina, why worry about passing? Buck, for someone who rarely threw the ball over 8 times per game, you should know that a coach is going to go with his strength. Dooley didn't try to turn you into a Dan Marino just to prove a point. Your job was to hand or pitch the ball to Walker, because that's what worked. You even overthrew a wide open Lindsay Scott, but history won't remember it, that way.

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 2021

I'm definitely no expert, and a big fan of Buck Belue (was in grad school at UGa in 1979-81.) but might it not be possible that Smart etal might have wanted to work on the run game against USC? They racked up a whopping 8 yds against Miss State the week before, if I remember kerectly.

I like E Roc's comment below,too. "dynamic" doesn't only mean passing.

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just because you can run for 300 yds doesn't mean you should. The more passing reps the better. Now that defense doesn't win championships, the path to success is passing, the best way to get chunks and points. Just look at play calling with any 2 minute drill.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just because you throw it all over the field doesn't mean you can't run or won't run. It's not one or the other. BAMA outrushed UGA last year, think on that, but it's by-in-large do to the fact they were such an air-raid quick strike offense.(and it helped that they had the best O-line in the country) and Najee.

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 369 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I am not against the run at all and I love watching a back break away on a long one. It is said, keep doing it till they stop you.

However, what I am against is the bull-headedness we see when we try running up the middle over and over and over against teams where it is obviously NOT going to work. If you are going to run, run where to the weakness or to your O-Line's strength. Every person on here probably hollered the same thing numerous times during games.

And passing doesn't always have to be the long ball. I like seeing the Tight End go across the middle. I like short passes that bust for a long gain. I do NOT like all the screens that work half the time. JT's numbers could have been a lot higher if we backed off some of the 50 yard attempts. 50 yarders can come from good downfield blocking and good routes.

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Does any one remember the West Coast offense, the one where Joe Montana at San Francisco was almost unstoppable? Give me that offense, and I should be able to beat any team 9 out of 10 times. You use the TE as a receiver instead of just another blocker on the OL. You also need a dynamic receiver (A JERRY RICE). UGA has the TE's and a receiver (George Pickens), come on Kirby and team, let's get to work.