Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

ESPN explains why Georgia should be 'genuinely optimistic' about the future at quarterback

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited February 2021 in Article commenting
imageESPN explains why Georgia should be 'genuinely optimistic' about the future at quarterback

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. ESPN explains why Georgia football should be optimistic about the quarterback position The Georgia quarterback

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have no idea why we are 6th and not #1. Yes, Ohio State has a commitment from the #1 QB in 2022, but we have JT, Brock and Gunner. All of these guys were/are in the Top 2 in their respective classes. In fact, JT was #1 until he changed classes and skipped his Senior year in HS. That placed him 3rd behind Fields and Lawrence.....eventhough JT was named the best all around HS athlete in the country ahead of Lawrence and Fields. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have no idea of their criteria, but it seems like we are the only major program that has their QBs transfer and there is significant concern that both Vandagriff and Stockton won't stay on the team for long. Beck is most certainly going to transfer soon as well.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Along those lines, I don't understand how we're behind USC. I seem to recall their fans publicly wishing they could have Daniels back by the end of last season.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Do you have a source on that assessment of Beck? Not saying it would shock me, the game having taken the turn that it has in recent years. But unless you have some specific information, I'd file it under possibility, not certainty. What if he wins the #2 job?

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know it feels like our Dawgs are the only school losing good QBs, but here are a few in recent years who have bailed on their colleges:

Chase Brice from Clemson

Joe Burrow from Ohio State

Jalen Hurts from Alabama

also, Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield and even Cam Newton were all transfer QBs....4 of these guys won the Heisman Trophy.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby will have to do some really good assessment of the starting QB AND backup position in 2021. You know we're going to probably lose AT LEAST one of these studs within the next year - maybe more with Gunner coming in in '22.

It will be a delicate balance and interesting to watch how it plays out.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The upcoming QB assessment for 2022, could be CKS's biggest and most important decision yet. Eason got hurt, Jake came in and took off strong. No controversy. Think if Jake hadn't shined.

Fields transfers, didn't have to deal with a QB controversy(would he have sat Jake and played Justin?) Remember Jake's wet hands troubles? HIs struggle against SC? Kirby spared again.

The WF guy quit, JT was recovering early on, Kirby spared.

He goes with Mathis over the guy they told could never start for UGA. Yikes!! SB saves the day for awhile. That decision to start Mathis was questionable. Clearly wasn't ready.

JT gets the nod against Missou but certainly reasonable to think he could have started against FLA. He didn't bail Kirby out by saying he couldn't have, less I missed it.. Still some what ifs there.

So, CKS has a stable of great possibilities in 2022. I'm going to assume UGA has several blowout games this season. Be a good time to look at both Beck and Brock. We should be able to get a decent amount of assessment for us fans as to who looks the more capable leading into 2022. If Beck is low man on the totem pole he transfers for sure. Kirby still good. If Beck outshines Brock, Brock may figure he's still a red shirt FR in 2022 anyway and decides to it battle it out with Gunner, he will have a good bit of experience getting in 4 games that Gunner won't have had.. why leave?

Gunner says he's in for the long haul, so in that regard CKS may skirt through all this without that much controversy or major decision making after all.