Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Arik Gilbert decommits from Florida, to re-enter transfer portal

SystemSystem Posts: 10,435 admin
edited February 2021 in Article commenting
imageArik Gilbert decommits from Florida, to re-enter transfer portal

Arik Gilbert backed off his commitment to Florida on Sunday, as he announced that he would be re-entering the NCAA Transfer Portal. He will announce his next school once he is finally enrolled.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    Dawgbreath40Dawgbreath40 Posts: 54 ✭ Freshman

I do not think it would be fair to 00 D Washington not any other recruit that signed on with UGA at the TE position if this guy is allowed to jump on with the Dawgs.

He hasn’t put the time in at Georgia practices or the weight room, not to mention the extra sacrifices these Georgia players made for the team and to the coaches during the pandemic season of 2020.

Bot to mention that there are only so many open spots open for Coach Smart and he has more than enough talent coming back in that position, and ALL of the starting experience talent that left the secondary in the shape that it’s in where that’s all we hear about from every sports writer from every single sports channel around.

Unless, of course, he’d commit to switching positions and competing for a DB spot?!

• Options
    atadawgatadawg Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior

I hate to see that this young man is dealing with some school issues. However, I'd have to take a hard pass on him. I believe he's had some issues with grades/classes and maybe spending a year at a JUCO would provide some real benefit to him in the long run.

Also, I wouldn't want someone who chose UF before UGA.

• Options
    Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

This man has some issues to deal with and more than likely not football related. Left the LSU squad in the middle of the season was set to go to UF and suddenly decides UF is not a good fit and will enroll somewhere else and notify the world at that time?

Honestly...who cares this grown man has issues and UGA doesn't need issues heading into a very promising season with a committed roster already in Athens working hard towards Spring practice.

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My money says he returns to LSU hoping he can play next year. Of course, the SEC could consider him a “transfer” (which he is) and make him sit-out next year (wow, this could get dicey). I’m no longer an Arik fan and agree he may be more of a liability than an asset. He’s clearly not a team player, lacks loyalty and is wasting a lot of time with interested programs. If LSU is not his final destination it will likely be outside the SEC.......possibly Clemson or Ohio State so he can play next year. THE INCREDIBLY AWESOME NEWS is he won’t be providing his amazing talents to the lizards 🦎. I also wonder if there is more to this story than we know. Does he have some luggage like academic or discipline issues that prevented him from enrolling at Florida? My vote is to stick with the guys in our TE room who have been loyal and love our school. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

Good Kid and great family, hope it works out Marietta Love!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As my grandmama used to say -- "Something in the milk ain't clean." I don't know what or who the problem -- or problems -- might be, but clearly, there is something funky going on. I have a feeling that UGA is going to pass on him. Shoot, for all we know, UGA passed on him previously, which could be why he chose Florida in the first place.

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Good luck, I hope you catch on somewhere, but leave the Dawgs out please!

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 824 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like our TE room. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So do you really think Gilbert left LSU to get closer to home? I don't but if that is the reason, I'm guessing Clemson or Auburn. However, Athens is the closest to his home town with Auburn being about 30 mins further. Clemson is a fraction over 2hrs from Marietta.

I too think he is heading back to LSU if he will be immediately eligible and if not, my guess is Clemson. Since Arik did not enroll at UF, I'm not sure that he could be deemed ineligible at LSU.

But say what you want, I don't think Kirby nor Monken will pass on Arik Gilbert. Kirby has said over and over that he wants the best players available. Gilbert was the highest rated TE ever coming out of High school. If Gilbert is interested, Kirby will take him. I really like our TE room but this guy is next level.

Does anyone commenting about grades and stuff know that for real or just speculating. I don't know Arik but I think he is just confused. Danny boy Mullet is a smooth talker and he may have sold Gilbert on something he did not want.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I do not believe you have to worry about Gilbert signing with UGA. This guy is a flight risk right now. He just may return to his former playing ground....LSU? Bubba Bill may be right, the" transfer" waiting period could become problematic. I don't think 2021 will be another covid year. LSU then may be his lone target for playing time.

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Best wishes to him, he is a great talent.

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It appears that Arik has difficulty making up his mind and sticking with a decision. However, it's obvious that he likes the limelight and reading about himself. He's getting tiresome.

• Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

No way do we touch this kid- He is team poison.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

LSU my guess, they just got a commitment from a 5 star QB in the next class, that resembles Gunner in many ways.

• Options
    DJG76DJG76 Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'd say Gilberto is more into weed than football, thus his departure from LSU and UF...perhaps a Pac 12 school where marijuana is legal and the coaching is not as strict...of course they may not play in 2021 if covid doesn't depart.

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If Kirby and the gang take this kid into the fold they are effing insane.

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If Arik signs on with Auburn State Penn, we will know all we need to know about his baggage.