Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Where to stay on a football weekend if Athens is booked up?

DawgDad17DawgDad17 Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

I want to come to Athens for a football weekend this fall to see my son, who is a freshman. Obviously, Athens hotels are booked far in advance, so I'm wondering where you'd recommend staying outside of Athens. (Commerce?, Bethlehem?, other towns nearby?)

I see there are rooms available in Athens, but I don't want to spend a fortune. I'd rather stay further away and drive 20-30 miles.

We're from out of state, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    UGA_PaintLineUGA_PaintLine Posts: 25 ✭✭ Sophomore

I can't comment on exactly where the best place to stay is,
    However, staying outside of Athens is totally doable since there is free parking at the Intramural Deck, and Ramsey Deck on campus.
    Both are 15-20 minute walks, and there are busses that come to transport you to the stadium and back as well.

• Options
    SavageDawg17SavageDawg17 Posts: 1,535 mod

Check Commerce, GA. Lots of hotel rooms not far from Athens

• Options
    CFPTitle_DawgCFPTitle_Dawg Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited September 2017

@DawgDad17 If you are coming from the north or northeast, Commerce is an easy place to stay - right off I-85 and a 25-30 minute drive max into Athens on 441. If you are coming from the south or west, you can stay somewhere in Gwinnett County, such as Buford or Snellville.

I have Marriott points, so I used to just search for available Marriott properties in Athens and see what came up, and hotels in those areas are what would show up on game days. If you do any kind of search and see something near I-85 at Commerce and south of there, or 316, or 78, you will have a straight shot into Athens.

• Options
    bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have choice points so I'm staying in commerce when I come down. The reviews I've read about the quality suites in Jefferson I definitely wouldn't stay there.

• Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawgDad17 said:
    I want to come to Athens for a football weekend this fall to see my son, who is a freshman. Obviously, Athens hotels are booked far in advance, so I'm wondering where you'd recommend staying outside of Athens. (Commerce?, Bethlehem?, other towns nearby?)

I see there are rooms available in Athens, but I don't want to spend a fortune. I'd rather stay further away and drive 20-30 miles.

We're from out of state, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

What state are you coming from?

It will help with suggestions so that you don't have to drive an extra hour unnecessarily.

• Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

From south: Morgan county has some great bed and breakfasts. James Madison inn is nice. Very historic. Lake Oconee is about an hour, it very nice.

West: bogart, statham, loganville, Lawrenceville are all pretty close. 10-40 mins. Not certain how close chateau elan is. Nice, not too cheap.

North: commerce should have a far amount of offerings.

Most of the small surrounding areas will have nice bed and breakfasts as well (a staple of Georgia). Just make sure to check the ratings.

Best of luck. Enjoy your time.

• Options
    bubbadawgbubbadawg Posts: 572 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Check air bnb for other options.

• Options
    CFPTitle_DawgCFPTitle_Dawg Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore

True, I did not think about Jefferson as far as hotels. We go on 129 often due to traffic on 316 on game days.

• Options
    DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Uber will be your best friend. Let us know if you want any recommendations for after the game. If I was to recommend a great place to eat, I'd go to Clock'd B)

• Options
    DawgDad17DawgDad17 Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

Thanks for all the suggestions! I found a B&B 30 minutes from Athens. Hopefully, it'll work out.

I'm flying into Atlanta from Austin, then driving.