Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What's next after George Pickens' injury: Jermaine Burton's role could increase

SystemSystem Posts: 10,482 admin
edited March 2021 in Article commenting
imageWhat's next after George Pickens' injury: Jermaine Burton's role could increase

George Pickens' injury stings Georgia offensive plans, but the Bulldogs are deep and talented at the receiver position and will move forward with Air Raid

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2021

We've got (6) other guys coming back on a very talented receiving corps along with a monster impossible-to-cover TE in Washington. Plenty of talent out there and no reason to skip a beat on our goals for 2021.

GO DAWGS!!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Where's the dude from LSU? Calling, please pick up!

Ain't going to lie, this was a gut punch.

• Options
    dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

I actually think this changes (expectations, offensive potential, opponents' schemes, the team's wow factor, need for a dominant rusher) a lot. Pickens is a receiver that we've never had - except for maybe AJ Green, still not at the level of Pickens. 50/50 balls to Pickens are really 80/20; low percentage throws are, in reality, 50/50. Green was explosive after the catch and ran tight routes- a seam route or crossing pattern, forget about it . . . but, Pickens makes the catches that no one else does and he makes them regularly.

Hopefully, Jackson, Burton, and Blaylock can collectively fill in that gap - with Arian as the deep threat.

• Options
    Dawgbreath40Dawgbreath40 Posts: 54 ✭ Freshman

I am over it.

The keys to this season being a success are:

1. JT
    2. Coach Monken running a great scheme and pushing the tempo and Coach Smart staying out of the offense
    3. Coach Lanning coaching up the secondary and dialing up the pressure
    4. Coach Smart showing in-game management improvement and properly motivating these young men to the season long picture of what they could make possible.

Losing Pickens should not really affect any of the above. This isn’t 2019, after all!

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 828 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Really hope MR-J is ready to go, as for me he most resembled Pickens in body type, routes, and runs after catch at this early stage of his career.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 828 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And dadgummit, PLEASE get those incredibly talented TEs more involved... they run like the wind and are massive match-up nightmares.

• Options
    MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 259 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited March 2021

Hate this for Pickens. As some other posts have noted: he adds another dimension and attitude to the offense. Big threat in the red zone and on deep balls. I think we will be OK and look for J. Burton to step up. It could mean that our TEs get even more targets. Would like to see UGA convince Arik Gilbert to join our team. I can see some double TE sets with the WRs we have that would drive defensive coordinators crazy.

• Options
    GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

This is terrible news! Mike do you have data/info on how many contact and non-contact ACLs we have had in the last X years.

Seems like this is becoming a regular occurrence, not sure if it is chance or something we are doing in strength training?

Let's hope for the best and see if we can get George back before the end of the season.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Guys, the sky is NOT falling. Sure, the Pickens loss will definitely hurt. But one guy does not make OR break a season or chances for a championship. This is a TEAM effort last I checked. It's good that this happened early in the Spring and not last season or in the middle of next season. We've got time to recover and regroup.

Honestly, Burton might have been Daniel's favorite receiver anyway. We've got other guys coming back, and although they may not have as much natural talent as a Pickens, they are very good. We spread the ball around - including such targets as the impossible-to-cover monster Washington and RBs.

Most comments I've seen seem to understand this is tough but not the end of our 2021 season. For those doubters out there that are crying in their beers, all I can say is 'GET OVER IT' and have faith in Kirby, his staff, and the rest of the team. I doubt they are ready to throw in the towel. Let's make lemonade out of this lemon and move forward.

GO DAWGS!!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

LSU without Chase or BAMA without DeVonte Smith. I believe in being positive, but let's be realistic. This diminishes the offense. Pickens had the length and leaping ability , body control to go up and over even the best defenders. Our other receivers are smallish, besides the TE's. Teams don't have to double team any of our other receivers. They did with George.

Hopefully McIntosh can get well and be that additional guy out of the backfield. He will become even more important now moving forward.

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

There goes the early prediction for Pickens to break the UGA receiving record of Terrance Edwards this season.