Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

George Pickens, social media react to news of ACL injury

SystemSystem Posts: 10,482 admin
edited March 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorge Pickens, social media react to news of ACL injury

The Georgia football program delivered just about the worst news you could imagine on Wednesday when it confirmed wide receiver George Pickens suffered a non-contact knee injury that will require surgery on his ACL. Related: George Pickens to have surgery on knee after ACL injury Georgia head coach Kirby Smart

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This is bullish!t. Why does dumb sh!t like this always happen to UGA. I just feel like we get more than our fair share of ACL injuries in camp/practice. Am I just being pissy.... or anyone else seeing this?

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2021

I understand your frustration, but all teams experience injuries at different times of the season. Look at Waddle and Bama last season...they didn't skip a beat on offense after arguably their biggest playmaker outside Smith was injured.

George experienced a non-contact injury, so it could have happened in a very unexpected way (heck, I can recall at least a couple of ACL injuries in the last few years during games when guys were celebrating in the end zone after a TD). Other than developing your lower muscle groups evenly to support the knee there's not a whole lot you can do to prevent an injury like this from happening. ACL tears are also one of the most common leg injuries. It's unfortunate but studies have shown that twice as many injuries occur during practices than in a game setting. Also, approximately 50% of all football-related injuries are in the lower extremities.

We've got a plethora of talented WRs and TEs on the roster, and it's just the beginning of Spring practice...plenty of time for other guys to hone their skills and step into George's gap. I'm not worried at all. And honestly, I think Daniels' favorite receiver last season wasn't Pickens.

• Options
    Dawgbreath40Dawgbreath40 Posts: 54 ✭ Freshman
    edited March 2021

You know what I think?

they better schedule that surgery by Friday and then the clock will start ticking:

More than 50% of these young, super-athletic men can fully recover from a single tendon tear like this and be back to 80%(which is the norm to be able to suit up) within 9 months.

That would put Pickens running and cutting around the end of November/ early December, just in time for the SEC championship game. If he has a set back between now and then it can and hopefully will be reported.

worst case scenario is he’ll be ready around the practices for the playoffs if there aren’t any setbacks.

I am not as upset that he will be missing the season, the first one we’ve had a QB that can actually throw darts since Aaron Murray left, but I am more upset by this:

If they put off surgery and Pickens misses the SECCG and or the Bowl season?

I think that dude is GONE. He will still be a guaranteed first round draft pick MILLIONAIRE, and with the dozen or so opt-outs from this past season that haven’t played a down of football since 2019 and we are going to watch them get drafted (Jamarr Chase, for example), will give him that many more reasons to forego his remaining eligibility because he will be three years removed from high school.

I am more upset about that thought than anything, not being able to see Pickens finally shine one more time in a Georgia Bulldog uniform.

That stinks.

As for 2021? There are more than enough WR and pass catchers on this team that can be spectacular...Don’t forget about Blaylock is coming back, too!

I can’t believe he tore his ACL in a non-contact play less than a week into Spring. Unreal.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm sorry but I believe that DawgNation fans are over estimating the overall depth and talent of our WR room. Those other guys are good, but they are good BECAUSE teams fear Pickens on the other side. Without him, I fear that these other receivers are going to be shown to be much more "average" than what some people assume. And enough with this trite "next man up" crap. There are some athletes to which there is no equal replacement -- LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, Tom Brady, Patrick Mahomes. Add George Pickens to that list. There is no real replacement for him so believe me, we are going to notice his absence. Also, while we hope and believe Blaylock and Jacksaint will be at full health at the beginning of the season, their status is far from guaranteed. We'll just have to see. Either or both could have a setback at any moment. So no, the sky is not falling, but it's definitely not as high as it was two days ago! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

If No. 1 is cursed, burn the **** jersey!

• Options
    GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

George could be a first rounder even with not playing next year, we all believe it! The key is would it be worthwhile to come back next year to improve to a higher number pick, which means more $$$$.

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Good perspectives. I agree he was not JT favorite target. Most productive apparently yes; but favorite, no.

I don’t think he’s a first round lock and the type of guy who won’t come back for a fourth year such as others cite here. Sure hope we get to see him ripping it up in red and black again before his collegiate career ends.

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Get well soon, GP! The Dawg Nation is pulling for you!

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

UGA without Pickens will not win the SEC or play in the Playoff's... This is a season ending injury that UGA could not afford nor can they replace his productivity... Losses to Clemson and Bama if we make it to Atlanta... Aub, UF and UT all away games become a little tighter now without Pickens in the line up... Yes Aub and UT have new coaches and are rebuilding and UGA should win but playing in Aub and Knoxville are not easy. UF becomes a 3 point UGA fav without number one playing.

My predication UGA 10-2 regular season with a loss to Clemson and someone else beats us in a favored UGA win for the upset. if UF beats us we play in a big Six bowl game and go 11-2. if we play for the SEC Bama beats us and we go 11-3.

UGA football is a coursed program... it's that simple and for the love of God get rid of the number 1 jersey it's coursed as well!

Devastating day for Dog Nation... I want to scream at the world right now!!!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good grief guys, the sky is NOT falling. Sure, the Pickens loss will definitely hurt. But one guy does not make OR break a season or chances for a championship. This is a TEAM effort last I checked. It's good that this happened early in the Spring and not last season or in the middle of next season. We've got time to recover and regroup.

Honestly, Burton might have been Daniel's favorite receiver anyway. We've got other guys coming back, and although they may not have as much natural talent as a Pickens, they are very good. We spread the ball around - including such targets as the impossible-to-cover monster Washington and RBs.

Most comments I've seen seem to understand this is tough but not the end of our 2021 season. For those doubters out there that are crying in their beers, all I can say is 'GET OVER IT' and have faith in Kirby, his staff, and the rest of the team. I doubt they are ready to throw in the towel. Let's make lemonade out of this lemon and move forward.

GO DAWGS!!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not crying and I don't drink beer. But I am realistic. All those other receivers combined will not be able to make up for Pickens. He caught EVERYTHING. He opened up the running game. He turned poor throws into exciting catches.

Remember in 2019 when Lawrence Cager went down? No one else stepped up -- not even Pickens -- although we THOUGHT someone else would. Some guys are prime time, others are not.

And as for the "one guy does not make or break a season," let's go to the tape and insert one, Jamie Newman. We didn't know it at the time, but when he skipped town, UGA's championship chances left with him. The loss of that one player changed the entire direction of the 2020 season, COVID-19 notwithstanding because everyone played with COVID-19. Pickens is the same. I'm not saying we can't reach the SEC Championship game because the rest of the east is weak, but I can't see us winning it without Pickens. I'm praying the Dawgs prove me wrong.

• Options
    BibbCountyDawgBibbCountyDawg Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

Erect a statue of Herschel Walker at Sanford then UGA wins a national championship. This injustice will continue to produce the inexplicable negative outcomes in the arena of teams sports at UGA. Fix this and watch the good times roll again.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The loss of Pickens is indeed very painful. Very. But Coach Monken is an extremely experienced and wise coach. I am putting my confidence in him that he will use the remaining players and please keep in mind we have some very adept TE’s and RB’s as well that can catch the ball to game plan around Pickens injury. Yes the Dawgs are less without Pickens but a Far cry from being down and out offensively and that’s not even talking about the powerful running game back there. This gives some guys a Golden opportunity to step up be targeted and Catch that ball !! Get well soon George Pickens !! Prayers for you !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When I saw this Pickens headline my heart sank. Oh no, not George P. and an ACL..already down are so many other WRs ( you know them) . UGA has depth, yes, but most are injured...! Pickens was a real hope against Clemson. Can Burton show up? I agree, he is a JT Daniels favorite. But...he is not a Pickens..the UGA acrobat....catches otherwise uncatchables. UGA will likely see WRs out there but nothing as special. as George P. I believe this could end his UGA career? Maybe not. George is one determined individual. So, I will pray for his quick recovery. Clemson will be a real hurdle now. Gotta look to Monken to coach us through this...that's why he was hired. Teams now know George will no longer pose a threat at WR as he once did. Puts the pressure on JT Daniels all the more.....but I also never give up hope.....GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If any one else believes erecting statutes to past players will mean UGA will win a Natty or any or Championships then this means we have been short changed for over 40 years, because of the lack of statues, dang let's erect one now. Herschel was the best, and if he had went down in spring practice with an ACL tear, then UGA would not have won a Natty in 1980. On the other hand, as much as George Pickens has meant to the receiving corps, his loss to UGA should not prevent the team from attaining this goal. Also statues does not win games, players do.