Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football WR George Pickens targeting return in 2021, Kirby Smart optimistic

SystemSystem Posts: 10,483 admin
edited March 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football WR George Pickens targeting return in 2021, Kirby Smart optimistic

Georgia coach Kirby Smart indicated there’s a chance George Pickens might still play in 2021, and a source close to Pickens indicated that is indeed the goal for the third-year receiver. Pickens suffered a torn ACL in practice earlier this week and will soon undergo surgery before beginning his rehab. “Obviously, I

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

He is a unique guy. God bless him. I hope he makes it back.

• Options
    Dawgbreath40Dawgbreath40 Posts: 54 ✭ Freshman
    edited March 2021

So, how about be a decent reporter and find out when his surgery is scheduled for?

I would think that would be at the top of my list if I was a sports reporter for a college football team and wanted to provide information to that particular football team’s concerned fanbase.

But that’s just me.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Sometimes the humility that is born from difficult situations is the greatest gift God can give us. I hate to see any suffering but I am confident this will help him move closer to being the man God created him to be.

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

There's a school of thought that says it should be quick, and there's a school of thought that says you wait, let the swelling go down and begin strengthening/loosening the muscles around the knee. It sometimes varies by position/body type/nature of injury... long story short, they may have not even decided when the operation takes place yet. Rushing the surgery does not always equate to a shorter recovery period... it depends on body type and different muscle groups around the knee's strength going into the surgery.

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

There is a thing called HIPPA that prevents release of anyone's medical condition without express consent of the patient. George probably authorized the release of the basics his condition. But very unlikely he would release all of what you say the reporters ahead and get. And they probably wouldn't ask, in respect for him and his family.

• Options
    Dawgbreath40Dawgbreath40 Posts: 54 ✭ Freshman

@Popeyethesailor

HIPAA (not HIPPA) , the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act has absolutely no bearing on a reporter determining when a college athlete at a taxpayer funded public state institution is having a surgery completed that will be funded by taxpayers in the state of Georgia whether through in-state or out-of-state tuition fees or other tax affiliated funds.

If HIPAA did apply, then they shouldn’t have released that Pickens tore his ACL unless they had express written permission to do so. I guarantee you that not one reporter, tweeter, or any sports site or UGA PR release person has such document on hand to provide anyone that asks.

I didn’t state that the sports reporter needed to find out specific personal health information related to an individuals personal health data, health history, or other specifics; I asked for information on the approximate date of the surgery.

That does not fall under HIPAA.

I am only curious about the surgery date because of the average timeline for athletes is well known and I could mark down a timeframe of when he could possibly be back- but only from a purely speculative standpoint.

As a lifelong fan, I don’t think it’s out of the ordinary to be curious about such things.

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It's absolutely nobody's business when the surgery is, except the patient, his family, the doctor, and the facility, who, by law, cannot release that information, no matter whether the patient is a member of a public institution, or whatever else. The university is not authorized to release that information. The patient is not even required to inform the team, if he doesn't want to. The team probably knows because the surgeon is associated with the team. But he is still bound by hippa. You can wish reporters would get that information. But don't be butt hurt if it doesn't happen, because it's nobody's business, especially yours.